What will be the killer feature of iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mjmar, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

As WWDC '11 gets closer I'm beginning to wonder what the iPhone 5 will have that users "won't be able to live without". Looking at the history of iPhone, each yearly update has brought to the table something that changes the game. With the iPhone 3G users got data speeds that were twice as fast, with the 3GS the iPhone was twice as powerful, and with the iPhone 4 there was the retina display. I think I'm not alone when I say that with each iteration of the iPhone so far there has been one feature that makes the previous model feel completely out of date. My concern is that the iPhone 4 is so advanced that Apple will be unable to think of a feature for the iPhone 5 that will change the game again. At first I thought it would be 4G capability, but the more news I hear about it from the carriers, the more I feel like 4G will be more of a 2012 thing. So, what do you think the one killer feature of the iPhone 5 will be?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Ability to make a voice call

I kid, I kid
    I have no problem making calls :eek:

3. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I'm guessing it'll be either more storage (64gb) or a gesture area instead of a home button.

4. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

8 megapixel camera....woopie!

maybe i'm wrong and it will be a "magical" redesign. I'd put money on them upping the specs this time around. I think those on VZ who decide to wait till June might regret it when the LTE iphone 6 comes out the following year and they have a lot more time left on their contracts.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'm having a hard time guessing because so many of my ideas for iOS 5 will also come to the iPhone 4:

* Better notification system
    * Gestures
    * More APIs for apps to talk to each other

Yes, Apple sometimes holds stuff back from older devices for no reason, but I really don't see them keeping any of those things off the i4.

So the question at hand (what will the i5 and ONLY the i5 have) is a pretty hard question to answer. Better battery? Better camera? HSPA+? 64 GB? Probably just stuff like that.

This should be a good year for i4 owners as I don't think they'll be too tempted to upgrade. I predict mild hardware updates with a lot of software updates that both the i4 and i5 will enjoy.

6. MACAPALOOZA macrumors member

*LOCK SCREEN NOTIFICATIONS. You should be able to scroll through Notifications from apps.

*ROUND SHAPE. I think that it should possibly have a shape similar to the Palm Pre.

There are too many things to say that the iPhone 5 should have, but they can only do a few things because if they change too many things, they will have to completely redo the way that the iPhones run

7. stewacide macrumors regular

I'm not sure what they could do to meaningfully improve upon the iPhone4.

A second CPU core would be a complete waste given the current iOS programming model and interface, and more ram wouldn't do a thing. A modest clock-speed bump and GPU upgrade are likely but probably won't be perceptible to the user.

Perhaps they could have something up their sleeves as a killer app for NFC? Maybe they enable FM radio at last in conjunction with a song-finding service? (although the hardware is already there) A better camera is always welcome but I think that's a form-factor limitation at this point...

The only thing that makes sense to me, if they want to launch an iPhone in 2011 with any buzz, is to split the line, offering a 3.5" model alongside a new ~4.2" model. No reason to let Android and WP7 have that marketspace to themselves.

8. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

1. The ability to forward voicemails

2. 5 row columns

3. The ability to keep certain apps locked in multitasking. This would be great for stuff like Skype where it is always on no matter what as long as you lock it in multitasking mode and maybe an autostart feature also.

4. Scheduler for stuff like ringtones, notifications and stuff. I like to Chang sky ringtones at night to something else or turn it down most of the way. Push notifications, I don't want to be woken up at 2am on a weekday because my eBay auction is coming to an end .

9. McBeats macrumors 6502a

im placing my bet on a newer cpu (A5?), and higher megapixel back camera (possibly front camera too)... thats about it.

as for ios5, more airprint/airplay support, aaaand i couldn't even guess really. I'll just wait n be surprised (but not blown away of course).

10. MarximusMG macrumors 6502a

MarximusMG

I think that the main selling points of the iPhone 5 will be:

1. 8 MP Camera
    2. Updated CPU
    3. iOS 5

I would expect anything beyond that to only make an appearance in the 2012 iteration.

11. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

A few of the reputable "sources" have said it will be a complete redesign..

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If you whine about the phone's bezel, screen tint, bars, etc., it will explode.

13. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

bingo!

i don't really want anything myself, but i'm sure i will once they tell me about it.

14. MarximusMG macrumors 6502a

MarximusMG

Don't be silly. That's coming with the Verizon iPhone. :p

15. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Just wait for the threads whining about Verizon with the iPhone. A happy iPhone user is a bitching iPhone user. :)

16. MarximusMG macrumors 6502a

MarximusMG

Oh, I'm sure there will be at least a few people who find something to complain about. But I can guarantee that I won't be one of them. Just finally being able to have the iPhone on Verizon is enough for me. :D

17. KSKENE247 macrumors member

First off, wouldnt it be a 4GS?
    but..... i think these features will come within the next 2 models:
    1080i video recording, then 1080p on the next....
    unibody design
    way more memory (speed and space)
    louder speaker for playing music
    and wireless syncing
    then im sure they will add some little things that jailbroken people use like quick reply sms things and notifications.

any of these features would sell me sticking with apple

18. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

IMO it will be a new notification system and new maps

The next iPhone will have a 8MP camera and I would be surprised it could shoot 1080p video, HSPA+ and 64GB

I think we could also get a dual core and one gig of ram with better life.

19. Che Castro macrumors 603

apple should just look at all the cydia apps

bitesms,snappy,notified pro + more

and implement them all in the iphone 5 as native

20. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Depends if we're talking about hardware/software.

Hardware: dual core, more RAM, better camera
    Software: ability to delete one call at a time rather than the whole list :D

21. hoing macrumors member

22. nosser macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'd be happy with:
    A better notification system
    And hpsa+ for "4g speeds"
    Seems plausible since Att has already upgraded more than 80% of their network.

23. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Now you’re talking crazy.

24. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

<3

25. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

Maybe, just maybe Apple will have learned how to enable it to make a reliable, clear, phone call that doesn't drop.

But THEN who would they point the finger at?

They would require lessons on how NOT to act like a victim.