Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FatherJack1980

Suspended
Dec 31, 2015
lol people say this every year. Eventually someone is going to be right haha

Almost happened in Brazil a few years ago - I don't know how they resolved it or even if there's been any need to resolve it.

"Apple loses exclusive 'iPhone' trademark rights in Brazil": http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/02/13/apple-loses-exclusive-iphone-trademark-rights-in-brazil

What I would love to see next year is Touch ID in laptop's trackpads, that and a 16" screen on the MacBook.

Reactions: rbrian

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I am surprised some people prefer smaller phones, but even in my circle of friends and family I've heard several people state exactly that. My wife, for one - she has said she doesn't want anything larger than her current iPhone 5 (I've got a 6 Plus, and another friend has a 6 - so she is familiar with the larger Apple phones). She's even gone as far as saying she'd be willing to try Android, if Apple doesn't offer a smaller device...

Exactly. Apple needs to put the industry leading OS and current CPUs into different sized form factors. The 4 inch is as important as the larger sizes offered by the 6 and 6+.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I don't really understand what value there is to adding a camera to the watch. I haven't ever found myself wanting or needing a camera.

Any ideas?

Facetime

47533664.cached.jpg

Pilgrim1099

Suspended
Apr 30, 2008
From the Midwest to the Northeast
It should be the OS to rule them all, kill the Surface tablets and all windowze portables. Apple OS. The Operating System of the XXI century.

Keep smoking the Apple crack. As long as Timmy is sitting on that chair, he'll be the cause of long term damage in the years to come.

iOS is not exactly what it's cracked up to be and putting that on iPad is a big mistake. It works for a phone but not iPad. Scaling and slapping iOS across all devices reeks of weak sauce and laziness.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013

Yes, this refers to an upgraded chip with expanded capabilities. I'll clarify.

None of that makes any sense - the watch has a WiFi chip, and can connect to the 2.4Ghz networks independent of an iPhone. The trouble is that the software basically doesn't let you use it - you can use Siri, send iMessages and make calls (with WiFi calling), but that's it. Any WatchOS applications you have won't be able to get internet this way, which is a stupid software limitation - so even though you can do all of this stuff and clearly have an internet connection, BBC News won't update (and I don't think you get push notifications either).

Maybe the Watch2 has 5Ghz networking, but if Apple promise some kind of "expanded" tetherless WiFi only for the new device, I'm seriously going to bust a nut.

I actually like my Apple Watch, but the crappy internet availability is one thing that annoys me very often. I can lose BT signal in my own home, depending on where the devices are, at which point I'm relegated to "baby Internet". Sometimes my phone dies and I can't be bothered to get up and charge it right away.

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Steve Jobs, a horrible human being who dumped his daughter, treated people like crap

The guy believed he could cure his own cancer because he was too arrogant.

Under Steve Jobs we would still be stuck in the past. I'm happy he is gone. Learn to deal with it

This is, hands down, one of the most ignorant and asinine comments I have ever read on this site. You should have the decency to be ashamed of yourself. But of course you don't. Otherwise you wouldn't have posted it.
Enjoy being you.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
The biggest thing the watch needs is a compass.

GPS doesn't matter so much IMO - yeah, it's nice for runners, but without a compass even using the linked-iPhone's GPS is basically useless.

Let's say you open Maps and get this. Not very helpful. Unless I get my phone out, I've got to just start walking and keep checking to discover which direction I'm going in.

IMG_3307.jpg

Also, Siri needs improving. It doesn't even seem to know what the Apple Watch can do (it can ping my phone, and yes, there is a Stocks app on the watch). There are some obvious gaps as well, like Find My Friends support.

IMG_3706.jpg
IMG_3627.jpg
IMG_3525.jpg

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
Im a little torn regarding the 6c. If released in march, just six months ahead of the iphone 7, it would seem waiting might be the better option. But if the 7 only comes out in the current big-ass sizes, the wait will have been in vain. What to do?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
check out that primitive tv...

Yes, we all want to watch take on a mere 2-3 inch display... as though exciting that that would be on a data plan, we'd rather watch on a smaller than a larger display like our iPhones ?

Not bloody likely.... but would be good to see If it happens...

At one stage we all thought the monochrome Nokia's were "good" phones.... perfect size.... now we all carry round something that resembles a chalkboard..

5x7slate_500x500.jpg

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
I don't really understand what value there is to adding a camera to the watch. I haven't ever found myself wanting or needing a camera.

Any ideas?

My take on a camera for the watch is completing the "Dick Tracy" experience you can get with the current Apple Watch. I'm quite curious to see how they will integrate it. Will there be a mechanism where you can change the direction the camera is looking? Honestly, IMO what the next watch should have is more independence from an iPhone such as connectivity to a non-iOS device like local WiFi or an Android phone.

Reactions: Spendlove

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Im a little torn regarding the 6c. If released in march, just six months ahead of the iphone 7, it would seem waiting might be the better option. But if the 7 only comes out in the current big-ass sizes, the wait will have been in vain. What to do?

March is a common time to release lower end products to the masses for the summer buying season. The 6c and the 7 will be two different leagues of products. Also, the purchase cycle of lower end products is longer. Thus, all the 5c customers will jump on the 6c. Sure they spent a lot of time going over what colors to offer.

Is far to iconic name to be changed now. After almost a decade? No chance!! Perhaps just iPhone, but not Apple phone.
With Angela at Tim's right hand these days, I would not be surprised to see them go this way. In fact, a phase out of the whole i-prefix and Mac-Prefix naming scheme is just another part of purging Steve's image away.

iMac -> Apple Desktop
iPod -> Apple Music Pod
iPad -> Apple Pad
iTunes -> Apple Music Community (in progress already)
iPhone -> Apple Phone
MacBook -> Apple Laptop
MacPro -> Apple Pro

Sure there is a whiteboard in Cupertino with something like this written on it to get reactions of those passing by an office.

Last edited:
Reactions: rbrian

GhostRaider

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
My take on a camera for the watch is completing the "Dick Tracy" experience you can get with the current Apple Watch. I'm quite curious to see how they will integrate it. Will there be a mechanism where you can change the direction the camera is looking? Honestly, IMO what the next watch should have is more independence from an iPhone such as connectivity to a non-iOS device like local WiFi or an Android phone.

This. Apple Watch will have a camera for FaceTime and selfies. Why? Because apparently people are becoming lazy to take out their phone and FaceTime or take selfies with it. Now raise your arm up and snapchat or take a selfie or do whatever floats your boat.

Now, what's more interesting is the sensors it will improve upon.

Reactions: Spendlove

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I am surprised some people prefer smaller phones, but even in my circle of friends and family I've heard several people state exactly that. My wife, for one - she has said she doesn't want anything larger than her current iPhone 5 (I've got a 6 Plus, and another friend has a 6 - so she is familiar with the larger Apple phones). She's even gone as far as saying she'd be willing to try Android, if Apple doesn't offer a smaller device...

I own a 4.7" iPhone 6S, a 6" Nexus 6 and a 4.3" droid mini. I love to use the Nexus in the house but hate having it in my pockets. I love the size of the droid mini but the keyboard and screen are too cramped. Overall I love the size of the 6S. Nice balance between the two and even with a sturdy 3400mah case I can push 2 days without charging.
If the specs between the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 plus are similar (not including screen resolution) I will go for the regular size. And even if Apple does a 4" iPhone I don't think I would be interested.

Reactions: Four oF NINE

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
2016 could be a quiet or expensive year for me I do not know.

I would love Apple to say here is an update for the Apple TV it now has 4K. Great ! But I don't think the hardware is good enough and I still need access to actual content. Plus I am personally in a constant battle with my fibre Internet so bandwidth is an issue.

If a smaller 4K to came out for -£200 I would get it and have the Gen 4 elsewhere in the house. It is a great media platform I just need more content.

Mac's will get a decent update but have no real interest to me. MacBook Pro, well I have a late 2014 model and it runs just fine and will for years to come. improvements I would say are weight and also bring the keyboard nearer the user.

iPhone, I am loving my 6S+ though I wouldn't say no to a tad smaller for portability. I won't get the 7 Series I think at this point waiting for the 8 which is promising to be a real leap. Improvements I still see lots of potential in camera especially in low light and focus speed. The last few updates have made it a bit slow on the focus. Battery life. It is good but I would take iPhone 4 thickness for that extra battery. I am sick of thinner devices that worry me to use them unless cased. The screen is still mark free I think so very impressed with that.

Apple Watch I really like mine but more features, no need for the iPhone and better battery life would make me buy a me2 on launch. Also personally make the straps slightly bigger. I have big wrists and like a few holes free for my own feel good factor that it fits well and not barely fits. It does not need a camera imo. Samsung had a camera and frankly nobody I know a) bought one and those I think did never mentioned to those I knew about the camera. It was pointless. FaceTime can be justified but it would need to be hidden under the display sort of like the iPhone one. On a black model it is hard to see the camera. It must no my protrude.

Ipad, a pro 2 would be a mistake to do annually as a pro model should be a big leap. Really 2 year intervals. The Air 3 the one thing it needs is Pencil support. That and battery. The rest is on track.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.