Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Unicorns do exist!!!

Holy ****ing **** I finally found it after 13 years of searching! :D

A very specific version of Mozart's Violin Concerto No. 5 in a Major/A-Dur/A-Moll K. 219 - III Rondeau.

Anyone who knows classical music, and many of those here do, will know that there are hundreds, nay, thousands of versions of the classics out there and they all sound different. Some renditions of a piece we like and others not so much.

Many years ago a friend compiled a custom mix CD with a bunch of various tracks on it and this Violin Concerto No. 5 was on it. I fell in love with it on the first listen.

The CD he made was done in MP3, a lossy format and it wasn't done at a decent bitrate either, so it didn't sound it's best, but it still sounded acceptable. Over time, I lost the CD he made me, but I still had a ripped copy I made on an old iPod. A few months ago I was able to get that song off the iPod and onto my computer because I was afraid of losing it forever. All I had was a basic song name on it and nothing more to search with.

Off and on over the last 13 years, I've been trying to locate the original CD that song came from. Talk about trying to find a needle in a haystack! For some reason along the way, I got it in my mind that this song version was performed by the Boston Symphony Orchestra. I don't know how I came to that conclusion, but I would always search this song and see if the CD listed the BSO or not. If it didn't I would pass it up.

I even mentioned here on the forums in this post in 2014 where I offered it up to download for others to enjoy. (That download link is no longer valid). I mentioned it later in the Fall of 2014 again here. Again, I mentioned this song in 2015 in the private forum. In case it wasn't evident, I really like this song a lot!

Then the other day, as I mentioned in this thread, I was updating my music library with a new tag editor for adding all the album art to my music. For ***** and giggles, I loaded that old crummy MP3 into it to see what, if any, tag information it may have contained. The software, kid3 Tag Editor, has a feature where it can take a song you load into it and search Amazon, Google and some others for information on it. I clicked on the Amazon link and it took me to a CD that showed promise for being my white whale, my unicorn.

I decided to take a chance this time and ordered the CD and it just came in a few minutes ago. It is indeed the version I have been seeking for well over a decade. I'm so happy! It also was not performed by the BSO as I had erroneously thought, but rather Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie Bremen/Christian Tetzlaff Violin & Direction.

If anyone is interested in this one, here is the Amazon link to it. I highly recommend this particular CD of Mozart. It's a 2-CD set. Follow that link and scroll down to see the tracklisting. Also, if anyone wants a copy of that song, I'll upload it for you to sample.

View attachment 888621

I liked this version of the one piece so much that I went ahead and ordered the album from Amazon! It arrived today -- haven't had a chance to listen to it all yet, but when I looked at the track listing I spotted a couple of favorite Mozart pieces that I've always liked, so thought, hey, let's just get the whole album. It's reasonably priced for a two-CD set, too. I'll also put the CD into iTunes so I'll have it on the iPad and iPhones as well.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I liked this version of the one piece so much that I went ahead and ordered the album from Amazon! It arrived today -- haven't had a chance to listen to it all yet, but when I looked at the track listing I spotted a couple of favorite Mozart pieces that I've always liked, so thought, hey, let's just get the whole album. It's reasonably priced for a two-CD set, too. I'll also put the CD into iTunes so I'll have it on the iPad and iPhones as well.

Agreed; The double CD set does sound very attractive.

Reactions: Clix Pix

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Every time I put a For Sale sign in my front yard, someone driving a Houston Astros van pulls up and takes it. Wtf?

That's bizarre!

Today the sun is finally coming out. So I'm feeling a little more myself. I can't be the only one who gets very lethargic during rainy days right?

Reactions: Huntn

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The sun? I’ve read about that. A sought of warm thing you get in other parts of the world.

Yes, I've heard about it, and read about it, and dreamed about it, as well.

A great, globe of transcendental fire........yes, that tends to be seen and experienced and thrilled to in other parts of the world.

Something our ancestors worshipped, with good reason.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Yes, I've heard about it, and read about it, and dreamed about it, as well.

A great, globe of transcendental fire........yes, that tends to be seen and experienced and thrilled to in other parts of the world.

Something our ancestors worshipped, with good reason.
Yes but if you spend too long worshiping it you could end up like this!
14280AA2-66C4-4361-ADEB-78B67F96572B.jpeg

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
On my mind today... gimme my star sticker? The time has come 'round again: Y'all are welcome to congratulate me or just call me lucky for 20 years of having left nicotine in the the rear view on this anniversary of the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday weekend. We had a horrendous blizzard in that weekend of the year 2000, and I involuntarily and mysteriously found myself "free at last" of cigarettes, or so I decided after toughing it out without one for three days.

I have never looked back on that weekend except with gratitude. No idea how "quitting cigarettes" stuck at that point, since I had tried to stay quit of them at least seven or eight times before, sometimes managing it for even as long as a couple years. At 20 years away from them now, I just stay grateful every day and credit it all to MLK Jr.

And it's snowing like a bandit out there right now just in case I feel a relapse coming on lol. This weather, honestly: it's been a rollercoaster ride lately but looks like January finally found the on-switch for a material snowdump.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Wonderful! I'm glad you're enjoying it and hopefully have many years of continued pleasure with the CD set.

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
The snow outside looks beautiful. Delightful.

I miss snow. Enjoy!

I did see the sun today while on a work assignment in another town (it's been pretty gray and dreary where I live for a while now..) It was nice, even if brief, but it was the first time in quite a while so no complaints here whatsoever.

Got myself an eSim for my phone, feel like I'm living in the year 3000. Exciting times, indeed.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Or caught in the act of eating french fries they plucked out of trash. ?

The squirrel froze when I came out of the house. Its reaction was priceless ( Busted )

Hope everyone is well here.

Mom had a good day at the rehab yesterday. She even cracked a joke. May it be the first of many good days. :)
Haha I remember when the dumpster at our apartment was so full the lid wouldn't close. We were walking out and a squirrel had one of those little plastic dip cups in his mouth. We made a joke he had taken some chips back, and his wife asked for dip. He was just frozen there for a sec and then jumped down and ran off.
[automerge]1579540133[/automerge]
Every time I put a For Sale sign in my front yard, someone driving a Houston Astros van pulls up and takes it. Wtf?
I know. They could at least pay for the sign. It said for sale, not free.

Reactions: kazmac

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I'm so thankful my Pro Max can still play music through Bluetooth. I did not want to buy a new radio with a touch screen or lose my steering wheel controls.

Oddly these new Androids I've bought cannot connect to the radio once they become BT 5.0.

Well okay Toyota. At least one of my devices will connect fine.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
How long until I can move out is on my mind. It’s been a long week already. Electricians and builders. Move out for a couple of weeks on Monday. Just wish the heating was going to last until then! No heating today. At least the cold spell has ended for now.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Ask your kittycats, they sure hit the jackpot landing with you, right?

My usual solution is to crank up the music and tune out the noise (which can include the news).

That is a very good question to ask of animal, beast, friend or relative (or even for those in that position who have a Significant Other in their lives) who is somewhere in your orbit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.