What's the killer feature of iOS7?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by mcdj, Aug 14, 2013.

1. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

App Store in iOS2. Copy paste, wallpaper, MMS in 3.0. Multitasking and folders in 4. Siri, iCloud and iMessages in 5.0. iOS 6’s biggest feature was umm, maps?

So what's the biggest deal about iOS7? I don't consider a new coat of paint to be a feature, so I guess it's probably Control Center.

What says you?

As a side, I'm really starting to feel like Apple needs to step up its feature list. The last really great additions in my book occurred in iOS5. And the big picture is that Apple keeps trickling out these "revolutionary" features that every other phone has basically had since the late 90s. Somehow we keep getting excited about these vintage features...

2. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

What? iOS 5 introduced notification center. And the killer feature is obviously the filters in the camera app :cool: lol jk it's control center.

3. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

Ok I messed that up. Edited.

4. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Yep. Control Center it is. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to finally have some quick access to controls, but after 5 betas, I'm already getting bored with it (iOS 7 as a whole, not Control Center).

5. Rooster411 macrumors member

Agree. I am kind of bored with it as well.
    I really do not see a killer feature. Control Center is more like an "about time" feature.
    Airplay will be kinda cool though.

6. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

I'm gonna make a new syndrome

it's called
    toomanynewfeaturessoyougetboredquicklysyndrome

Whenever something changes a lot, you get bored easily. The moving wallpapers, control center and notification center from lockscreen, transparency, parallax, completely new UI, font change, and all that stuff get boring because there is too much there to really appreciate lol

7. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

8. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

Lets hope !

9. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

AirDrop. Can't wait for third party devs to make it shine!

10. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

Control Center is really nice, but I think the improvements to Safari is the best thing about 7.

11. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

We aren't getting quick reply in iOS 7. Give it a rest guys.

12. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

What's different with airplay in iOS 6 vs iOS 7?

Or did you mean airdrop?

13. Campbellot macrumors member

Campbellot

It would have to be control center.

However....

Passbook has a good chance at runner up with the ability to scan gift cards.

14. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

Want to bet?

15. Rooster411 macrumors member

You're correct. My bad... AirDrop.
    :)

----------

Agree about safari..much better. Though I was hoping like hell to get text reflow.
    I was also keeping fingers crossed for an HTC style smart dialer...
    Not happening.

----------

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d9vVxuFGGZw&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dd9vVxuFGGZw

16. maxosx macrumors 68020

The hype master is gone and so are the days of "killer features" time to let it go. Today it's Apple that makes a "killing" off all the cash they rake in.

17. nikicampos macrumors 6502a

To me this year is not about a killer feature, but more like a package with the new "little" things, the new Notification Center, Control Center, Airdrop (can't wait to use it with my MacBook Pro), the new coat of paint (new icons), iRadio, the new Multitasking (the way it learns how you use an app), and hopefully a new added feature for the new iPhone 5S.

18. SakuraSuki macrumors 6502

Are you calling parallax, new UI etc. features? LOL... iOS itself is pretty boring, still based on old 2007's OS. Look, even BB10 made many changes that really benefits users. The new BlackBerry Hub, new predictive keyboard, camera enchainments, separation of work account and personal account. Also look at Android, adding multi-user support, Google now etc.

Look what iOS brings? A map that guides you to nowhere, Siri is still in beta after 2 years and still not that useful, control centre should be there years ago. iOS adds ZERO improvements on usability but tons if market gimmicks. No wondering even iOS add so many "features" users still gets bored quickly

----------

I don't think iOS's airdrop will work with OS X. At least not now.

19. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

20. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

It's supposed to be compatible. Don't own a Mac so can't test.

21. nikicampos macrumors 6502a

I never said now, the way things look, iOS 7 and Mavericks will be released about the same time, so yeah, can't wait for it to use it with my MB.

22. suminub macrumors newbie

other than control center, I would consider the "smart multitasking" to be a kool feature.

from apple's iOS page:
    Because iOS 7 learns when you like to use your apps and can update your content before you launch them. So if you tend to check your favorite social app at 9:00 a.m. every day, your feed will be ready and waiting for you. That’s multitasking in iOS 7. It knows what you want to do before you do.

iOS schedules updates during power-efficient times. Like when your device is on and connected to Wi-Fi. So your battery isn’t drained unnecessarily.

also considering this was a full revamp, i expect more kool features to come in 7.x once they get 7 to a stable state.

in Jony we trust :p

23. chekz0414 macrumors 6502a

chekz0414

iOS AirDrop and OS X AirDrop won't be compatible. That is truly wishful thinking. I think the most integration we will get is with iCloud until there's a new iOS Device and Mac that share the same AirDrop technologies to be compatible with one another. The AirDrop tech in iOS is new; it isn't new in OS X it's an older version from Early 2011....

24. nikicampos macrumors 6502a

No, not a wishful thinking at all, have you followed Apple news the last 2 years, they all talk about iOS and OS X integration, and one taking things of the other, so yeah, AirDrop between iOS and OS X is really possible in the next months.

25. Cougarcat macrumors 604

It doesn't work in Mavericks yet. I'll be surprised if it works by release.