Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
Still hoping for a surprise SE2
I’d have liked that too, but “small” screens are dead, and regardless Apple wouldn’t upend the new paradigm they laid out just last month to which we’ve now adjusted. My savior will be the new Mini, which I’ll order within 10 seconds of when I can.

Reactions: ktecac

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
I'm betting the under--there will be no event until January 2019.

Then, in the name of "courage," Apple will vanquish the iPad Mini while upholding the aging iPad at a "reduced" price and trying to position the iPad Pro as a MS Surface contender.

There might be a CPU refresh in October (I doubt it), but I am betting Intel's continuing delay has accelerated Apple's plans to push consumer Macs to ARM, which will begin this coming WWDC.

or none of this will happen until next year!

People forgot to mention the new iPod Touch and the new iPad Mini that might be released at this event /S.
[doublepost=1538587834][/doublepost]

There will most likely be no new Mac Pro (or Mac Pro information) at this event.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
Will the money you set aside cover your funeral as well? Or at least cover the AD&D policy that will? /s

Apple serves every consumer, He saves money to buy things in cash and some extend their credit. That was really uncalled for.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Reactions: RandomDSdevel

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
I'm starting to doubt we'll see an October event, it would put the XR launch in the shadow and hell knows Apple is nearly entirely dependant on its iPhone revenues at this point.

Macs and iPads, everything except the MBP line is outdated (some more than others, hello Mini and Mac Pro) - speaking of which, whatever happened to Apple's renewed focus on the Mini? And the Mac Pro that's been promised a few times over the last few years?

I expect updated iPad Pros so they get Face ID and the A12X chip, but little else.

obiwan

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2004
It's excruciating waiting for the update to the Mac Mini... Please don't screw it up Apple!! - You've had 4 years to completely overthink it - what could possibly go wrong?

caoimhe

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2012
I got one early—loving my iPhone XS Max.
I have the Max but still want a new iPad mini. The 4:3 screen is just so much better for me with the apps I use most and the larger iPad is a pain to travel with. I really hope they will update it but suspect they won’t.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I can definitely foresee:
– iPad Pro update
– Mac Mini was more or less promised, but I would NOT expect it to start below $999
– Perhaps the 2015 Macbook will return as $999 replacement for Air
– ...and lots of watch bands and emojis.

Anything else would be more or less a surprise. As in shocker.

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
It's excruciating waiting for the update to the Mac Mini... Please don't screw it up Apple!! - You've had 4 years to completely overthink it - what could possibly go wrong?

Based on how boring the Sept announcement was, I’m going out on a limb and saying no new Mac mini (because I’m hoping they would surprise me)

Reactions: obiwan and LiveM

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Based on how boring the Sept announcement was, I’m going out on a limb and saying no new Mac mini (because I’m hoping they would surprise me)
I think the Sept event was largely so boring because EVERYTHING leaked except the details on Watch. Now we have nothing except vague mentions of Mini and AirSEMaxPlusX that could really end up being anything. I like that! I just hope it doesn't mean there will be no event...

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
Seriously you want a AMD chip? The RTX 2080 Ti is the dominant GPU right now. Think big.
Apple hasn't used NV chips for ages, undoubtedly because NV charges a lot of money for their products (being the market dominant actor and all), and (historically) also because of NV's refusal to support OpenCL and instead focusing on their proprietary Cuda API. As Apple was a big proponent of OpenCL (until it was deprecated and replaced by Vulkan, which Apple doesn't support at all), that probably didn't help either.

Also, the TU102 chip is new and a VERY large ASIC - it's just about as big as you can commercially make it right now, and since consumer cards are still a ways from launching there's undoubtedly supply constraints involved as well. AMD Vega is being manufactured on TSMC's 7nm process, which is different to NV's Turing series GPUs, and ~40-50% higher density, so likely considerably smaller than TU102's monster 750sqmm+ die size.

The MacPro D-series chips were a total joke IMO.
Then your opinion, honestly, isn't worth very much. :p Tahiti was a very good GPU for its time, it's just too damn old by now. It was actually a bit long in the tooth already at its introduction in the new Mac Pro (so Apple simply stuck two GPUs in there to compensate.) AMD was too resource constrained to develop both professional GPUs, consumer gaming GPUs and consoles all in parallel, so they let go of the high-end professional computational GPUs for years. That is about to change, since Vega 20 is right around the corner, pretty much.

Professional workstation means the fastest available hardware; period.
Well, realities still apply (like supply chain issues, cost issues (possibly also support issues - seeing as Apple has been an exclusive AMD GPU customer for years now and may have built better relations with them than with NV), and we've yet to see what Vega 20 can do as well when it comes to performance.

It takes several years to design a PC that uses Intel hardware?
That's what I said it doesn't take, if you go back and check again. :)

They are complacent because the computer hardware business model makes next to nothing compared to the iPad/iPhone/Watch/App Store BS.
Yeah, duh. Obviously.

The thing is though that pie is still pie, even if one slice is smaller than another slice. If they weren't so lopsidedly focused only on the iOS slice of the pie they wouldn't have left almost all of their Mac line-up to languish, often for several years at a time. They're leaving pie (well, money, but you understand) on the table by not properly, actively developing their Mac line as well. It's entirely a management issue, not a resource issue as they've clearly got more money than they know what to do with over there in Cupertino.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
So this could be the biggest Mac-related event since the iMac with Retina 5K Display's introduction in October 2014.

Is Apple going to give us an all-new Mac mini good enough to make up for the 2014 downgrade and years of neglect? Hex-core processor, upgradable DDR4 RAM in Space Gray and at a reasonable price? Probably not...

Do not expect anything upgradeable.

Please, Apple, please, prove me wrong!

jaybrynmawr

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2018
No more Apple events this year.

To maximize revenue they'll hold the iPads and Macs for next Christmas.

Nah, they had quite a few deals for the current ipads running until Oct 2nd, like free beats headphones etc. I imagine that was to push out the units before the new ipad comes out. I expect it will be this october

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I think the Sept event was largely so boring because EVERYTHING leaked except the details on Watch. Now we have nothing except vague mentions of Mini and AirSEMaxPlusX that could really end up being anything. I like that! I just hope it doesn't mean there will be no event...

I think it’s also boring because Apple rolls out their features at a snails pace. They want you to buy slowly but surely

Manzanito

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2010
I doubt Apple will even mention it. I expect any discussion of the new Mac Pro to be at the WWDC next year and any new Mac Pro to be released between the end of next year to the beginning of 2020.
There’s no need to rush it. Better wait till 2023, making good Phil’s promise of wwdc 2013 that the trashcan would be the mac pro for the next ten years.

Seriously, if they plan to release it in 2020, they shouldn’t even bother. It takes apple three years to design a friggin computer?

Sadly, you’re most likely right :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.