Where is Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
With April Fool's come and gone, the question remains... where is Tiger? rumors had placed it's announcement on April 1.

Subsequent confirmation expects Tiger to be in stores by April 15th.

No reliable information on the fate of Tiger has surfaced, but one unconfirmed report claims that Apple Stores have called staff meetings on April 17th, providing speculation that April 18th may be official launch day. More details as available...

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I care a lot less about the "announcement" (since we ALREADY know the features) than I do about when I'll have it in my hands :)

abc123

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2004
i bet apple are calling these "meeting" just to get us talking. i believe they are trying to discredit rumor sites.

hkhaskell

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
Mauldin, SC
It must be a slow rumor time...

So Tiger hasn't been announced yet... I have it on good authority that Apple will announce Tiger when they are good and ready.

In other news, it turns out that a man named Jim from Hoboken, NJ is considering buying a new lawnmower. "I'm still not entirely sure" said Jim in a candid interview, "but I am really leaning towards that pretty green model." Local neighbors have running bets going on exactly what model he will buy and whether he'll get it on sale or pay full retail.

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
Santa Barbara, CA
I think the announcement will definitely be this week. I'm thinking (hoping?) Monday or Tuesday. Apple has released things on Fridays (Panther) but I'm not sure if it's ever annouced much on a Friday, so hopefully it'll be the first few days of this week.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
As the GM has been released, Tiger will undoubtely be released sometime this month. If I am not mistaken, NAB will fall right around the 15th... :rolleyes:

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
Apple almost exclusively makes announcements on Tuesdays. Just wait 2 more days.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
Tuesday Tuesday Tuesday. I think the rumor web was on target... but this date makes a lot more sense.

The Reaper

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
This seems to be a 'canary trap'.

A canary trap is where you think you have a 'leak', so you give several people in your organization different stories about planned products. When you see a story in the rumor sites, you know who leaked it, so you can fire them.

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
I wasn't even figuring it'd be out by April. I thought it might actually take a full year after WWDC, but I hope that it comes out soon. Since Apple changed their OS X page, that's probably more of a sign that it's closer. I guess this year's WWDC won't be showcasing the new next generation operating system, haha. Whatever, April 1st, April 15th, as long as I can have it soon, I don't care, lol :D

Mavimao

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2005
Lyon, France
Oh my god! This is the worst news ever! That means we're stuck with the sub-par operating system that is 10.3! Oh god! Where's my backup?! Where's WINDOWS!?

(Chillax, everyone. Tiger will come soon.)

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
Isn't it a bit funny to post this thread on a Sunday night/Monday morning? When Friday came and went without an announcement, it was pretty obvious we would have to wait until at least Monday (today). Assuming the reports about Tiger hitting GM last week are correct, our new OS can't be that far off. If an announcements isn't made sometime this week, it will happen next week. All it takes now is patience. Above all, we'll be getting Tiger much sooner I thought we would.

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
The Reaper said:
This seems to be a 'canary trap'.

A canary trap is where you think you have a 'leak', so you give several people in your organization different stories about planned products. When you see a story in the rumor sites, you know who leaked it, so you can fire them.
I never thought about that before. Good point.

Punani

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2004
Los Angeles
Zaty said:
Isn't it a bit funny to post this thread on a Sunday night/Monday morning? When Friday came and went without an announcement, it was pretty obvious we would have to wait until at least Monday (today). Assuming the reports about Tiger hitting GM last week are correct, our new OS can't be that far off. If an announcements isn't made sometime this week, it will happen next week. All it takes now is patience. Above all, we'll be getting Tiger much sooner I thought we would.
Better yet...where is 10.3.9? It certainly seems that Apple wants this release to be as bug-free as possible.

Also, while I know Apple has not done this with Mac OS X releases, is it possible that they may consider simply shipping on the announcement date?

Trowaman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2003
CD: TX-14
grrr . . . I just wasted (well, not wasted since I wanted too) oodles of cash on Star Wars: Episode III action figures, tomorrow I have to pay $20 so I can go on a club field trip to Austin in 2 weeks, then this happens . . .

I'll never have any money. . .

I hope that the price remains $70 for students unlike how iLife got a price hike this year :mad:

Jalexster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2004
hkhaskell said:
So Tiger hasn't been announced yet... I have it on good authority that Apple will announce Tiger when they are good and ready.

In other news, it turns out that a man named Jim from Hoboken, NJ is considering buying a new lawnmower. "I'm still not entirely sure" said Jim in a candid interview, "but I am really leaning towards that pretty green model." Local neighbors have running bets going on exactly what model he will buy and whether he'll get it on sale or pay full retail.
My bet is on the light blue model. You know, with the cup holder built into the handle?

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
Jalexster said:
My bet is on the light blue model. You know, with the cup holder built into the handle?
Don't you mean the beige cup holder which my computer manual calls my PC's CD-Rom drive?

d.f

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2003
Macuser Magazine out tomorrow - UPDATED!!!

just an update - i've just copied this off the mac user web site. what the f is this..?

The mag was suposed to come out on Thursday / Friday, but the website posted a news story that they've held it back till Tuesday (tomorrow) for 'the biggest apple announcement / launch so far this year'

Macuser is basically the 'official' magazine for apple, never really dabbling in the rumour world. so it's not out of the question to give them the world exclusive 'announcment'.... we'll see.

link below

www.macuser.co.uk

News
[Desktop computers]
Friday 1st April 2005
STOP PRESS - The next issue of MacUser 10:09AM
Exciting times are ahead. Big things are about to happen in the world of computing, and MacUser wants to be the first to bring you the news.

So, to make sure you get the full low-down on the biggest product launch of the year so far, we'll be holding back publication of our next issue - originally due out on 1 April - by four days.

So don't forget to check in your newsagent on Tuesday 5 April - or watch for your subscriber copy drop through your door. We're sure you'll agree it will have been worth the wait!
Nik Rawlinson, Editor, MacUser

Attachments