Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Ok this racing yellow nomad sport case is so bold and bright it wants to smack you right in the face lol...honestly it's a little too much for my liking. Wish it was a little more muted like the watch band. The watch band is a keeper, the case sadly will be sent back.

Damn you Nomad, give me Ultra Orange

zFpeUz8.jpg

QH4GxzY.jpg

I really like coastal rock.

Reactions: walds11

Matt__James

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2014
Yup, I had issues with Mous QC too. Mine was the popping side rail on the aramid version. I went through 3 of those before getting a good one. My first walnut was fine though, no problems. They should do better of course, but at least with Amazon Prime and the Mous warranty it’s possible to get a clean copy if you don’t mind the hassle.

I find the Phone Rebel has too many little nooks and crannies to catch crumbs and little bits of lint, etc. It’s so grippy though, and provides so much protection while also being pretty thin (which is not an easy combo to find), that I keep going back to it.

I was a big fan of Caudabe for years, but feel as if they’ve stagnated while some of their competitors have moved forward with better buttons and a better protection to thinness ratio.

We are clearly on the same page when it comes to cases!! I’d echo all of that.

Reactions: Zensō

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
I’ll go:

1. Caudabe Sheath - fit and pinky comfort are unmatched. Buttons are fine IMO.
2. Spigen Liquid Air - wish it had MagSafe
3. Nomad Modern Leather - dust trap, lanyard area prevents this from being a long term case

4 and beyond: Apple Silicone, FineWoven, Caudabe Synthesis
Cool, thanks for your list!

Reactions: macher

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Yup, I had issues with Mous QC too. Mine was the popping side rail on the aramid version. I went through 3 of those before getting a good one. My first walnut was fine though, no problems. They should do better of course, but at least with Amazon Prime and the Mous warranty it’s possible to get a clean copy if you don’t mind the hassle.

I find the Phone Rebel has too many little nooks and crannies to catch crumbs and little bits of lint, etc. It’s so grippy though, and provides so much protection while also being pretty thin (which is not an easy combo to find), that I keep going back to it.

I was a big fan of Caudabe for years, but feel as if they’ve stagnated while some of their competitors have moved forward with better buttons and a better protection to thinness ratio.

In reference to Caudabe. Yes better buttons but their protection to thinness ratio seems good to me. The Synthesis didn’t seem like a big case for the protection it provides. The Sheath I think is even thinner.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Anyone running the DBrand Grip? Tell me about it? Also seems light at 35 grams for 15 pro.

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
In reference to Caudabe. Yes better buttons but their protection to thinness ratio seems good to me. The Synthesis didn’t seem like a big case for the protection it provides. The Sheath I think is even thinner.
For around the house or office, for sure, the Caudabe cases seem to provide adequate protection. They’re pretty heavy for what they are though, and in the grip area they are equal in thickness to at least a couple of cases that provide a much higher level of protection. That higher level may not be needed for everyone of course, but for someone a klutz like me who might drop the phone onto a pile of rocks while hiking, that higher level of protection is nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: off2marz and macher

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
I’ll play along on the top cases list.

1. Caudabe Sheath
2. Caudabe Synthesis
3. Spigen Enzo
4. Nomad Modern Leather (Horween brown)

I’ve been a LONGTIME Caudabe fan and for me, the Sheath is just about perfect. Great fit, passes the pinkie test with flying colors, solid protection, and unlike others here, I like the buttons. In fact, I’ll go so far as to say something blasphemous…I prefer the cases with the open Action Button rather than closed. It’s easier to find without looking and I like being able to see that little peek at the titanium frame/button.

The Synthesis is the best one yet, in my opinion. I had it for my 13 Pro Max and always wished the back was more grippy. Sure enough, they changed it with the 14 Pro Max version, but I didn’t upgrade until the 15 Pro Max, and I think they’ve absolutely nailed it. I love the grips on the sides, I love how the back feels, and I actually like the rear camera opening. It adds just a small distinction.

The Enzo feels amazing and luxurious. I wasn’t sold on it until folks in this thread started raving about it. But around Black Friday, I was able to get it for around $30, so I figured why not? Love the buttons, love the feel of the back, it’s fairly pinkie friendly, and I love the strong MagSafe. The only worry I have is the metal ring around the camera getting dinged up with regular use, but that just adds character, right?

And I finally bought the Nomad Modern Leather in the brown Horween (first time I’ve had the Nonad leather in a while and the first Horween one I’ve owned). I love what they’ve done to make the sides more grippy with the channel, which has the added benefit of making the case feel slimmer. Of course the buttons are incredible and I like the touch of adding some ridges to the power button. It’s more pinkie friendly than previous versions, but man, I wish they and Moment would stop with the symmetrical cutouts and lanyard openings and just do a normal, asymmetrical bottom. Does anyone actually use those lanyard holders, let alone enough to justify them?

Anyway, just my .02.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
For around the house or office, for sure, the Caudabe cases seem to provide adequate protection. They’re pretty heavy for what they are though, and in the grip area they are equal in thickness to at least a couple of cases that provide a much higher level of protection. That higher level may not be needed for everyone of course, but for someone like me who might drop the phone onto a pile of rocks while hiking, that higher level of protection is nice.

If I was at previous position at same employer doing hard labor, I wouldn’t be running Caudabe so I know what you’re saying. My current position which isn’t hard labor even a little bit I don’t need the likes of Otterbox etc.

Reactions: Zensō

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012

1. Caudabe Sheath
2. Caudabe Synthesis
3. Spigen Enzo

I’ve been a LONGTIME Caudabe fan and for me, the Sheath is just about perfect. Great fit, passes the pinkie test with flying colors, solid protection, and unlike others here, I like the buttons. In fact, I’ll go so far as to say something blasphemous…I prefer the cases with the open Action Button rather than closed. It’s easier to find without looking and I like being able to see that little peek at the titanium frame/button.

The Synthesis is the best one yet, in my opinion. I had it for my 13 Pro Max and always wished the back was more grippy. Sure enough, they changed it with the 14 Pro Max version, but I didn’t upgrade until the 15 Pro Max, and I think they’ve absolutely nailed it. I love the grips on the sides, I love how the back feels, and I actually like the rear camera opening. It adds just a small distinction.

The Enzo feels amazing and luxurious. I wasn’t sold on it until folks in this thread started raving about it. But around Black Friday, I was able to get it for around $30, so I figured why not? Love the buttons, love the feel of the back, it’s fairly pinkie friendly, and I love the strong MagSafe. The only worry I have is the metal ring around the camera getting dinged up with regular use, but that just adds character, right?

And I finally bought the Nomad Modern Leather in the brown Horween (first time I’ve had the Nonad leather in a while and the first Horween one I’ve owned). I love what they’ve done to make the sides more grippy with the channel, which has the added benefit of making the case feel slimmer. Of course the buttons are incredible and I like the touch of adding some ridges to the power button. It’s more pinkie friendly than previous versions, but man, I wish they and Moment would stop with the symmetrical cutouts and lanyard openings and just do a normal, asymmetrical bottom. Does anyone actually use those lanyard holders, let alone enough to justify them?

Anyway, just my .02.

Holy sh*t I thought I was the only one that likes an open action button with a sloped opening. Like you said it’s easier to find. In fact if I order a Sheath I’m going to get it with an opened action button. We have gone with an opened mute switch opening all these years.

Reactions: KentuckyHouse

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015

1. Caudabe Sheath
2. Caudabe Synthesis
3. Spigen Enzo

Anyway, just my .02.
Awesome, thanks for your write-up!

I too have been a long term Caudabe user, having had Sheaths on a number of phones. Their cases didn’t do it for me this year, but I’m glad they’re working out for you.

Nomad makes beautiful cases, and their buttons are arguably the nicest, but I’m with you on the cutouts. At least that area is reinforced with polycarbonate, so it’s very stiff, but the cutouts are excessive. Perhaps there’s an argument for lanyard holes for the Rugged, but they’re certainly unnecessary on the other models.

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
Great question! I've never seen anyone use one and can't recall even seeing any reviews that utilize them. Excuse my ignorance on the subject, but how do these lanyards work?
It could be a simple wrist strap or a full fledged sling similar to a camera strap.

A friend who takes a lot of rare plant photos with his phone for his botanical guide books always uses a lanyard so he can go hands free quickly while he’s working, taking notes, collecting samples, etc.

I have another friend who uses his phone for taking photos while fly fishing. You can imagine that it’s a good idea to have a strap on your phone when fumbling with a fish and a fly rod while trying to take a photo over the water.

Those are just a couple of examples of how they can be useful.

Last edited:

jack_1992

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2020
So I’ve gone back to my Caudabe Synthesis for my Pro Max to try again as I really want to like it but damn this action button is awful!

Been in Native Union for the last couple of weeks and I’ve really liked it. Feels a bit loose but it doesn’t fall out of the case or anything crazy!

I’m really struggling to find anything I really really like this year and I don’t really want to keep purchasing more and more cases

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.