Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Matt__James

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2014
Anyone running the DBrand Grip? Tell me about it? Also seems light at 35 grams for 15 pro.
Bought it and returned. Really really liked it when I first put it on.... but it turned out to be an absolute monster to get in/out of pockets, those side grips are super grippy. Also not great on the pinky.
It’s the ReClassic in green. I do really like it tbh, it’s my favourite so far I think. Not perfect but I’ve liked it.
I've been so tempted by this, but heard people say the buttons are stiff (which I hate). How are yours?

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
But they both offer the same drop protection. So what makes the Sheath and Synthesis different if they both offer the same drop protection? The design?
They were tested to the same height but they certainly don’t offer the same actual protection. The Sheath is quite flexible, the Synthesis is much stiffer due to the rigid back plate, which makes it more protective. In their marketing materials Caudabe states the Synthesis is their most protective case.

Reactions: macher

fadeout

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2023
Went back to the Synthesis for a few days and I really do love everything about the case (fit/grips) but the crappy buttons and how frustrating it is to get off have made it drawer bound for the foreseeable future. Giving the Spigen frosted a go today and for the weekend. So far great fit and I really like the material around the case, very soft and slightly grippy.

Reactions: macher and Zensō

gagee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2019
Have you tried the FW? In my opinion it’s actually a pretty decent case. Not perfect but I think the internet hate is way way overblown
No i havent yet. I was going to try it out and see how the cases are.

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
Have you tried the FW? In my opinion it’s actually a pretty decent case. Not perfect but I think the internet hate is way way overblown
It was the first case I tried this year. Used it for a week or so and didn’t like it at all. It’s been sitting in a drawer ever since.

Reactions: gagee

off2marz

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2023
It was the first case I tried this year. Used it for a week or so and didn’t like it at all. It’s been sitting in a drawer ever since.
I really liked the feel of the fine woven when I tried it on in store. The only reason I don’t get one is that I’m afraid I’ll get it dirty, and then I won’t like it anymore lol

Reactions: Zensō and gagee

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
I really liked the feel of the fine woven when I tried it on in store. The only reason I don’t get one is that I’m afraid I’ll get it dirty, and then I won’t like it anymore lol
My initial impression was pretty good, I kind of liked the surface texture, but after just a few days the edges started showing wear and a MagSafe ring showed up. This was with just light use around the house. Also, the alignment at the cutouts was off, and there were a couple of air gaps that caused the case to creak. Not great for the premium price and a disappointment compared to the leather cases it replaced. Just my $.02.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Went back to the Synthesis for a few days and I really do love everything about the case (fit/grips) but the crappy buttons and how frustrating it is to get off have made it drawer bound for the foreseeable future. Giving the Spigen frosted a go today and for the weekend. So far great fit and I really like the material around the case, very soft and slightly grippy.

Is the Sheath any easier to get off?

off2marz

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2023
the alignment at the cutouts was off, and there were a couple of air gaps that caused the case to creak. Not great for the premium price and a disappointment compared to the leather cases it replaced. Just my $.02.
An Apple case made for an Apple product, you’d at least expect it to fit well.
Is the Sheath any easier to get off?
In my experience, the Sheath is easier to get off than the Synthesis. Both are tight fit. Maybe it’s the harder material of the Synthesis that makes it stiffer and just damn hard to get off. Sheath is a bit better in that regard. Still tight, still need some force, yet just a little easier than Synthesis.

Reactions: fadeout and Zensō

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
An Apple case made for an Apple product, you’d at least expect it to fit well.
For sure. Some people really like the case, so I have to wonder if Apple has made some running changes. Mine was purchased very early, just after they became available.

Reactions: off2marz

jack_1992

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2020
The buttons are slightly stiff, they aren’t the easiest and it did annoy me at the start but I did get used to it quickly and they do seem to get easier to use. For me there are other positives that outweigh the buttons, I’ve not found a decent case for buttons tbh
Bought it and returned. Really really liked it when I first put it on.... but it turned out to be an absolute monster to get in/out of pockets, those side grips are super grippy. Also not great on the pinky.

I've been so tempted by this, but heard people say the buttons are stiff (which I hate). How are yours?

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
The buttons are slightly stiff, they aren’t the easiest and it did annoy me at the start but I did get used to it quickly and they do seem to get easier to use. For me there are other positives that outweigh the buttons, I’ve not found a decent case for buttons tbh
I hear the Ghost has excellent buttons.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Anyone ever run the Mujjo shield case? Looks interesting offering good drop protection.

SR Steve

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
Honestly I initially thought the sheath felt slimmer but after using both for a while the synthesis feels a touch slimmer.
The harder Synthesis shell-like back can be made thinner without the ring indentation showing on the outside as it may on the Sheath. I'm awaiting a replacement for a Sheath built in October... anxious to see if Caudabe made any adjustments since then.

Last edited:

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
The harder Synthesis shell-like back can made be thinner without the ring indentation showing on the outside as it may on the Sheath. I'm awaiting a replacement for a Sheath built in October... anxious to see if Caudabe made any adjustments since then.
Ring indentation showing on the outside?

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
Oh thought it was an optical illusion.
There are a couple of photos further back in this thread showing even worse examples. That’s another advantage of having a rigid back plate (stiffness plus no issues with warping due to MagSafe).

off2marz

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2023
There are a couple of photos further back in this thread showing even worse examples. That’s another advantage of having a rigid back plate (stiffness plus no issues with warping due to MagSafe).
I saw a post in a Caudabe thread, I can’t figure out how to link it.. pic showed a pretty bad indent on their Sheath.. said it developed after using MagSafe charger, and Caudabe CS said it was normal. I fear it’ll happen to mine

Reactions: Zensō

jplusc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles
Had the Bullstrap for a while and i really like the quality. But it makes the phone so damn bulky. In weight, looks and to hold. Can't even appreciate the small bezels with it.

Tried to go without case like i did with all my previous iPhones, but the back is so slippery that i can't comfortably hold it.

Got the Pitaka StarPeak MagEZ 4 Case now and have to say i'm very happy with it. It barely adds any bulk and it is makes it easier to hold, because it has a good grip. I think i found my case.

Considering ordering the new "Moonrise" MagEZ 5 case as well, even though it is damn expensive. But it is even slimmer and lighter.
View attachment 2322372
Ordered the sunset today. Don’t love that it only has the circular MagSafe part but hoping the thin/lightness will make me overlook it.

Zensō

Contributor
Oct 9, 2015
I saw a post in a Caudabe thread, I can’t figure out how to link it.. pic showed a pretty bad indent on their Sheath.. said it developed after using MagSafe charger, and Caudabe CS said it was normal. I fear it’ll happen to mine

Reactions: macher and walds11
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.