White iPhone 4 Delays Due to Light Leakage?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The latest theory on the reason behind Apple's white iPhone 4 delay comes from Scott Moritz of TheStreet, who reports that the issue stems from backlight leakage around the edges of the device's glass and even through its white back.
Apparently, the back light from the iPhone display screen is leaking out around the edges of the glass and seeping through the back of the white phone, according to a person familiar with the manufacturing process.
According to the report's source, the lower opacity of the white back compared to the black one is responsible for the issue, and the glass construction makes it considerably more difficult to simply fill in the gaps where the light is leaking through than it would for devices with plastic or metal cases.

The report also notes that this issue is not unique to Apple's iPhone 4, as the HTC EVO has also received some publicity for minor light leakage through seams in its casing.

Previous reports had suggested that the delay was due to paint thickness and color consistency issues with the screen printing process for the white iPhone parts, although the various reports could theoretically be differing descriptions of the same issues coming from parties with only partial knowledge of the situation.

Moritz has had a number of inaccurate claims over the years, although he did correctly predict that Apple would introduce $200 subsidies on the iPhone 3G to bring the entry-level price down to $199 back in 2008.

Article Link: White iPhone 4 Delays Due to Light Leakage?

agibb

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2004
This could be hard to remedy. Wonder if it will slip into 2011?
Hardly. Thin, opaque coverings are not exactly hard to come by. Especially if you are into the kind of exotic materials Apple use. Paint, for instance? (yes, I know paint isn't *that* opaque)

DougB541

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
People who notice light leakage in normal environment (not a dark room) have eagle eyes.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
This is crazy. What's up will all these issues lately? I see the Apple ad "This changes everything" at Walmart and BB only to think how these problems are really changing everything. Changing everyone's perception of Apple and how it handles itself as a company.

Apple's phone use to be wonderful, short of the few jailbreaking 'reasons', and now everyone is making excuses for the phone. I have heard people defending the phone at the AT&T store and yesterday I heard an Android fanboy talking smack about it to a customer who came in after an iPhone 4. I was too busy to jump in. But I heard the salesman tell the customer that the i4 had a blatant issue that Apple wasn't fessing up to and was simply making an excuse for. That the cases are under produced resulting in backorders for the free bumper. Not enough phones are being produced and that the white iPhone was probably not gonna be released until Dec and that even then we may hear about mis-colored or mis-matched front and back colors.

:rolleyes: How many issues can one phone have?

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
I like that all of you are responding to this rumor as if it were fact. This guy got something right, once, two years ago.

ghostface147

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2008
It wouldn't surprise if there is a cancellation of the white iPhone due to technical challenges on creating a white version.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Oh my, things were going so well since yesterday, all of the news from yesterday up until now were all about the Mac, now we're back to the frickin' iPhone crap. Damnit, MR just ruined my day. :mad:

mikeh20

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2010
This guy has no street cred! He has made these outrageous claims before and none turn out to be right except some obvious subsidies years ago.

A grain of salt my friends, a grain of salt!

kmiahali

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
Manhattan, NYC
I think light leakage is a pretty big deal, especially on iPhone, since it's built of quality parts. I think Apple should take their time and build a solid and stable device that customers are happy with.

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
"iPhone display screen is leaking out around the edges of the glass and seeping through the back of the white phone"

Weird. Who doesn't want to have one of these 'glow-in-the-dark' iPhones? I do!

p.s. Won't the bumper take care of this, also? I wouldn't mind as I got a pink bumper today, instead of a black one but hey... :p

DougB541

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
I think light leakage is a pretty big deal, especially on iPhone, since it's built of quality parts. I think Apple should take their time and build a solid and stable device that customers are happy with.
Well the way its being reference here is the light leaked on the black iphone doesn't exist because of the black paint.

I kinda don't view light leakage as a big deal nor do i think general consumers care. Its really only noticeable in dark room.

BUT

at the same time I agree, if its a consistent issue, just try to clean it up as best possible. What they shouldn't' do is string people along and just admit when they think it'll be good to go.

SooneratND

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2009
"iPhone display screen is leaking out around the edges of the glass and seeping through the back of the white phone"

Weird. Who doesn't want to have one of these 'glow-in-the-dark' iPhones? I do!
I was just thinking that would probably look pretty cool.