Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iTouch

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
I think that goes for any company. More so w/ Apple? Not sure...

It's more of an issue with Apple. I can buy a PC product without worrying about these kinds of issues. But with Apple I always wait. You would think with over 300,000 workers at Foxconn working on Apple products 24/7 with no days off exclusively it wouldn't be a problem. But it is.

beamer8912

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2009
It's more of an issue with Apple. I can buy a PC product without worrying about these kinds of issues. But with Apple I always wait. You would think with over 300,000 workers at Foxconn working on Apple products 24/7 with no days off exclusively it wouldn't be a problem. But it is.

Wow. Issues much? You do realize that Foxconn makes things OTHER than Apple products, right? Most notably products from Dell, HP, Sony and Microsoft.

Every Apple product I've bought has worked flawlessly. Where as any PC is quickly overcome with the necessity of drivers and system crippling anti-spyware software. Honestly, if the analysis programs I used were available on Mac I wouldn't even own an PC.

iTouch

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
Wow. Issues much? You do realize that Foxconn makes things OTHER than Apple products, right? Most notably products from Dell, HP, Sony and Microsoft.

Every Apple product I've bought has worked flawlessly. Where as any PC is quickly overcome with the necessity of drivers and system crippling anti-spyware software. Honestly, if the analysis programs I used were available on Mac I wouldn't even own an PC.

I'm well aware. But Foxconn has over 300,000 workers dedicated to Apple products only. And there are other "assemblers" as well that are large like Compal, Longcheer, etc that do as well. I have friends involved in manufacturing for Sony, Apple etc. So like I said I'm well aware. You can bet there are returns for the iPhone 4 that are being RMAed.

beamer8912

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2009
I'm well aware. But Foxconn has over 300,000 workers dedicated to Apple products only. And there are other "assemblers" as well that are large like Compal, Longcheer, etc that do as well. I have friends involved in manufacturing for Sony, Apple etc. So like I said I'm well aware. You can bet there are returns for the iPhone 4 that are being RMAed.

Are you basing your info off this?

http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...ry-with-300-000-workers-in-central-china.html

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
An AT&T employee said she was under the impression that pre-orders for white would be on 14th and release on 16th. I know she probably has no more info than we do, but when she told me she said it pretty matter of fact.

beamer8912

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2009
An AT&T employee said she was under the impression that pre-orders for white would be on 14th and release on 16th. I know she probably has no more info than we do, but when she told me she said it pretty matter of fact.

Awfully short pre-order time. 2 days? Doesn't seem like they could ship that many iPhones quickly enough to get them to their destination in 2 days.

If that's the case then I'll probably have it reserved at my local apple store.

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
Agreed. Seems too soon.

Still, I took it with a grain of salt; but wouldn't their store know if there were shipments coming in soon?

Suspenseful month for all the white waiters. The 4 is amazing.

beamer8912

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2009
Agreed. Seems too soon.

I was kind of hoping they'd do something similar to the 15/24th they did for the original release. Maybe something like 13th/22nd.

Then I don't have go to the Apple store on launch day.

Still, I took it with a grain of salt; but wouldn't their store know if there were shipments coming in soon?

Not sure. A lot of stores seem to struggle with shipments of the black iPhones now. So I'd be tempted to say they wouldn't know. However, I'm sure they get asked "when will then white one come?" all the time. So I wouldn't be surprised if Apple stated circulating internal memos soon. Guess we'll just have to wait a bit longer.

Suspenseful month for all the white waiters. The 4 is amazing.

+1

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Apple does have a tendency to not say anything until the day something is released. I sort of expect a silent launch of the white iPhone.

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
True but they gave us a preorder date for the black. I assume after knowing that if anything was blown for the launch it was the advertised color not being available, they would feel bad and say something as soon as enough units were ready to ship. Plus preorders give them a sense of numbers needed? We'll see, I suppose.

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
No way they are released inside the 30 day window for black models to be returned. :)

PUCCY

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2008
wow what a thread.

So here my deal. I wanted a white one, but walked by an apple store in Vegas the next day and there was a short line for walk-ins. So decided to get a black one. I've always had the intention of wanting the white anyway. They did not have any whites on display I even asked why the girl said if we did, people would complain as to why we have it on display but not for sale...etc

If the white one comes out in the 30 day period i will return the black and get a white one. If it's not. Then i will exchange it for a replacement (coz the camera is ****ed), buy the white in full price and sell the new exchanged black on ebay.

We are all different into what we think is moral and what not. That's what I plan to do, if that makes me immoral in some of you's books. Frankly I don't give a flying *******.

sass

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2010
I read somewhere that the "manufacturing issue" with the white iphone is due to coloring (I'm pretty sure I bookmarked the link in my work laptop...will see if I can find it before I get to my work laptop tomorrow). Something about the white phones are painted white and it is more difficult to get them to look smooth. Wondering if the fact that it's painted will affect the quality of it in the long run (and not just the short-run manufacturing issues that have already delayed their release). If it does, will they switch out the faceplates for whiter ones under warranty?

iTouch

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007

No this one. Foxconn and Hon Hai, which is under Foxconn produces Apple products from Macbook Pros to iPhones. Foxconn also manufactures for Sony Ericsson along with Compal, Longcheer, the list goes on. My point Foxconn almost exclusively from what I was told and read produces for Apple. Apple doesn't have to visit/oversee a dozen or more different locations for their products. They really only need to oversee Foxconn, so quality issues should be minimal compared to other companies but it's not.

iTouch

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
I read somewhere that the "manufacturing issue" with the white iphone is due to coloring (I'm pretty sure I bookmarked the link in my work laptop...will see if I can find it before I get to my work laptop tomorrow). Something about the white phones are painted white and it is more difficult to get them to look smooth. Wondering if the fact that it's painted will affect the quality of it in the long run (and not just the short-run manufacturing issues that have already delayed their release). If it does, will they switch out the faceplates for whiter ones under warranty?

I've been assuming this from the start that there is a yellowing or discoloration issue. I see no other reason for it to be delayed. Everything is the same except for the color. It has nothing to do with reception problem or the sensor issue because according Apple there is no issue or it's a non issue.

beamer8912

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2009
No this one. Foxconn and Hon Hai, which is under Foxconn produces Apple products from Macbook Pros to iPhones. Foxconn also manufactures for Sony Ericsson along with Compal, Longcheer, the list goes on. My point Foxconn almost exclusively from what I was told and read produces for Apple. Apple doesn't have to visit/oversee a dozen or more different locations for their products. They really only need to oversee Foxconn, so quality issues should be minimal compared to other companies but it's not.

I think you forgot to add the link.

By exclusively produces for Apple did you mean:

a) Most of Apple's products are made by Foxconn (What I think you meant)
b) Foxconn makes mostly Apple products.

Also, your last statement is rather exaggerated. I'm not going to deny there's an issue (or several) with the iPhone 4. However, considering how much press there is about it, proves how uncharacteristic it is for Apple. Were issues, like those with the iPhone 4, common for Apple there wouldn't be much if any press on them.

So you see, because there is so much press on the iPhone 4 issues proves it is very uncommon for Apple to produce a product with such flaws.

I've been assuming this from the start that there is a yellowing or discoloration issue. I see no other reason for it to be delayed. Everything is the same except for the color. It has nothing to do with reception problem or the sensor issue because according Apple there is no issue or it's a non issue.

The White iPhone 4 won't yellow. There is a layer of glass over the paint on both sides on the iPhone. Your hand will never actually come in contact with the paint. Residue left over on the screen can easily be wiped off thanks to the oleophobic coating.

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA

If you get the opportunity you should pimp that employee for more info and try to find out what she's basing that impression on - would be curious to know.

I won't bother mentioning this particular rumor to my wife (she's waiting on the white to come out) because she's sick of me telling her new rumors everyday, getting her hopes up, which wind up being false.

Wish I knew what was up with that BGR article about the rumored July 7th early opening of Apple Stores (possible "second launch"). I went to an Apple Store today to get my 3GS repaired and the Genius had no clue what I was talking about...

iTouch

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
I think you forgot to add the link.

By exclusively produces for Apple did you mean:

a) Most of Apple's products are made by Foxconn (What I think you meant)
b) Foxconn makes mostly Apple products.

Also, your last statement is rather exaggerated. I'm not going to deny there's an issue (or several) with the iPhone 4. However, considering how much press there is about it, proves how uncharacteristic it is for Apple. Were issues, like those with the iPhone 4, common for Apple there wouldn't be much if any press on them.

So you see, because there is so much press on the iPhone 4 issues proves it is very uncommon for Apple to produce a product with such flaws.

No I didn't forget the link. I'm too tired to search for it. But it's common knowledge that Foxconn (iPhone) and Hon Hai produce for Apple. I can tell you this Apple doesn't want to deal with these kinds of issues. They work differently from any other company I've seen. From their contracts to how they handle RMAs etc. They are very difficult to work with. But Apple can get away with it, my friend told me that having Apple as a customer "is being the envy of all their competitors."

"However, considering how much press there is about it, proves how uncharacteristic it is for Apple. Were issues, like those with the iPhone 4, common for Apple there wouldn't be much if any press on them." I'm sorry but you must be joking or new to Apple. This happens consistently across all their products for early adopters. This isn't an isolated incidence here and there nor is it substantial. But the issues do exist. I would keep this in mind.

The White iPhone 4 won't yellow. There is a layer of glass over the paint on both sides on the iPhone. Your hand will never actually come in contact with the paint. Residue left over on the screen can easily be wiped off thanks to the oleophobic coating.

This is my assumption since the white and black iPhone 4 were suppose to be released on the same day. Something happened to cause a delay and Apple won't say why. Since the only difference was the color that's why I assume that's the reason. I'm sure we will find out soon.

don pianta

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2009
Cincinnati
quick question. if you return your phone and then right after that buy a new one will you still have a full 30 days to return the phone after purchase?

SonoViva

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
CA

It's not yellowing/discoloration. The paint was too thin and required a thicker coat so the screen wouldn't make the front glow. It was in an article, like the above poster said. For the record, I've never heard of white Apple anything yellowing. It's getting really annoying hearing everyone talk about it.

don pianta

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2009
Cincinnati
...For the record, I've never heard of white Apple anything yellowing. It's getting really annoying hearing everyone talk about it.

Oh god does that get annoying fast. I hate how people are blaming the delay on "yellowing" issues. I've had two white iphones (3G and 3GS) and neither of them have had any sort of cases, and neither of them changed color in the slightest.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Oh god does that get annoying fast. I hate how people are blaming the delay on "yellowing" issues. I've had two white iphones (3G and 3GS) and neither of them have had any sort of cases, and neither of them changed color in the slightest.

Not to mention the fact that you won't even be touching the white part of an iPhone 4. It's covered in glass. People worry over nothing. My 3G, 3GS and Mighty Mouse all stayed perfectly white. Same for my Magic Mouse and the keys on my (Apple) keyboard.

jacollins

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Apple does have a tendency to not say anything until the day something is released. I sort of expect a silent launch of the white iPhone.

Too true. The last Mac Mini just showed up in the Apple Store. Maybe one day you'll see white iPhones up for order.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.