Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
You've misconstrued my entire post. Purchasing a limited-availability device only to exchange it for a different color of the same limited-availability device (even more so, since white isn't avilable) is simply unethical. You've taken a black phone from someone who had otherwise would have been able to purchase if you waited for white, only to exchange it for a white one, which again takes another phone from someone who would have otherwise purchased it. It's selfish. Plain and simple.

What the heck are you talking about?

"You've taken a black phone from someone who had otherwise would have been able to purchase if you waited for white"

Are you serious? Who are you to judge what people do? How do you know that he didn't wait for hours or days camping to get that black iPhone? Will that make it better and "less unethical"? Who's to say he would be able to get a white iPhone? He isn't stealing anything from anyone. He returned the phone and got the other. He doesn't owe you or Apple, anything.

Heck, for all I know I could throw my iPhone into the ocean. Would that be ethically wrong because otherwise my fellow "poor citizen" have been waiting for one?

Mickyfin

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2010
Finland
I was under the impression that the White iP4 delays were down to hiding the proximity sensor, and the problem was down to this process.

Stein357

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Rip City
To those of you that think you'll simply be able to go to another store after returning your black iPhone, it is my understand that it takes a few days for your upgrade to be put back on your account, so you'll be without a phone for a few days. Also it upsets me that people think it's okay to exchange it just because they couldn't wait. Apple has to spend money refurbishing the phones people return and those costs are passed along to us.

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
Moving slight back to topic and a little to the sour part of the thread. I wonder if I should return soon and just start using my 3g again until white; I don't want to deal with haggling ATT when the release date is finally announced.

Speaking of which, I really hope apple says something about the white unit sometimes soon.
I really hope I don't have to wait until august but wouldnt mind it if I have to.

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
What the heck are you talking about?

"You've taken a black phone from someone who had otherwise would have been able to purchase if you waited for white"

Are you serious? Who are you to judge what people do? How do you know that he didn't wait for hours or days camping to get that black iPhone? Will that make it better and "less unethical"? Who's to say he would be able to get a white iPhone? He isn't stealing anything from anyone. He returned the phone and got the other. He doesn't owe you or Apple, anything.

Heck, for all I know I could throw my iPhone into the ocean. Would that be ethically wrong because otherwise my fellow "poor citizen" have been waiting for one?

I've made no judgments. If you disagree, that's fine. If he waits days and hours for the black iPhone, all power to him. I never stated that I had a problem with that. I also never said he would or would not be able to get a white iPhone either. I never said he was stealing anything, nor did I say he owed me or Apple anything.

What I said:
Buyign a black iPhone with the intention of exchanging it for the white one when it becomes available is unethical and it's selfish ebcause they could not wait for the white one to come out.

Clear? Don't put words into my mouth. I said none of those things above, nor did I imply them. Simply stated my opinion. ;)

If you disagree with me, that's fine! :D

Moving slight back to topic and a little to the sour part of the thread. I wonder if I should return soon and just start using my 3g again until white; I don't want to deal with haggling ATT when the release date is finally announced.

Speaking of which, I really hope apple says something about the white unit sometimes soon.
I really hope I don't have to wait until august but wouldnt mind it if I have to.

Apple did say something about the white iPhone 4. :)

Statement by Apple on White iPhone 4

SonoViva

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
CA
I wouldn't bank on a couple weeks. I would expect to see it available for order on the website at the very end of the month. You won't have it in hand until August methinks.

Sleazy, I like what you have to say most of the time, but why do you insist on stomping all over every white iPhone thread? It's like you only come into them to dash everyone's hopes who's been waiting for the white. Apple said it would be "available," as in ready for purchase, in the second half of July. The very end of the month would be "the end of July." If it were to be in hand in August, they would say it will be available in August.

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
Sleazy, I like what you have to say most of the time, but why do you insist on stomping all over every white iPhone thread? It's like you only come into them to dash everyone's hopes who's been waiting for the white. Apple said it would be "available," as in ready for purchase, in the second half of July. The very end of the month would be "the end of July." If it were to be in hand in August, they would say it will be available in August.

While I make no comment about Sleazy's posts... you also must understand that "the end of July" is also in "the second half of July". Though I do agree... I think we'll see it after the 30 day exchange window of the black iPhones: sometime on or after the 26th.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Can we all just stop arguing about the morality of returning a black iPhone 4 for a white? I personally think it's wrong and immoral but WHO CARES? Move on with your lives. Not everyone shares the same morals and opinions as you do. Accept that and move on.

Personally, I hope Apple doesn't mean near-the-end-of-July when they say "second half of July". I want the white iPhone 4 because it's different than what my friends have (black). While it does match the rest of my stuff (unibody MBP is black/aluminum, iPad is black/aluminum, etc.), I want my phone to be unique. I have to keep it for two years and my parents would be pissed if I wanted to change the color...

Espo

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2007
NY
Personally, I hope Apple doesn't mean near-the-end-of-July when they say "second half of July". I want the white iPhone 4 because it's different than what my friends have (black). While it does match the rest of my stuff (unibody MBP is black/aluminum, iPad is black/aluminum, etc.), I want my phone to be unique. I have to keep it for two years and my parents would be pissed if I wanted to change the color...

Exactly. Sometimes things that look different are more attractive & appeal to ppl more.

It's not so much the physical color but the idea of having something unique & different. I've wanted a white 3G but now I have the discipline to wait.... Kinda

JoJoCal19

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I just wonder why people think it's unethical or immoral to exchange one item for another. It happens every day with every type of consumer product. That's why stores have rules and requirements for returning products. That's why Apple allows the return of a product if you agree to pay them a restocking fee.

What's to say people had every intention of keeping the black iPhone but when they saw in person a white iPhone they fell in love with it and exchanged it?

Conversely what if people settled for a black iPhone knowing the white one still looks better and then decide they want a white one?

Really in all of it who cares? Does it impact you negatively? Just curious about some of implied anger and rage people have over this subject. I'm sure some of you remember how the last thread on this subject ended.

shinenjk

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
Boston, MA
I'm waiting to buy a white iPhone 4. But I see nothing wrong with folks who plan on returning the black one for white because it's mostly Apple's fault for not releasing them together. Let them eat up the restocking fees for their mistake. :p

parth6512

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2009
I just ordered black 16gb. If I don't receive it before the white version releases, Im going to change my order or swap it out once I receive it.

Espo

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2007
NY

Exactly. Sometimes things that look different are more attractive & appeal to ppl more.

It's not so much the physical color but the idea of having something unique & different. I've wanted a white 3G but now I have the discipline to wait.... Kinda

bobbytallant

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2010
I too am waiting for the white. Anyone thinking of getting a bumper with it? If so, what color bumper?

Blue looks cool - but OF COURSE only increases the likelihood of someone questioning your sexuality by having it in combo with the white iP4.:rolleyes:

beamer8912

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2009
I too am waiting for the white. Anyone thinking of getting a bumper with it? If so, what color bumper?

Blue looks cool - but OF COURSE only increases the likelihood of someone questioning your sexuality by having it in combo with the white iP4.:rolleyes:

Yup. Hoping to get a White bumper with my iP4.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Oh, wouldn't it be nice?

whiteiphone.jpg

TurdFerguson

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
O'side!
I'm also looking forward to the White iPhone. I held off on the black because it looked too much like an ice cream sandwich, and frankly is outdated. The white is at least something new to look at.

What are you talking about? When iPods were first launched they only came in white for several years! Black is actually the newer choice.

muddy cleats

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2007
I really wanted a white iphone. As it stands my black iphone4 is in fedex at Oakland because I was stupid enough to preorder on 15th and got the july 2nd date. ( meanwhile the Apple stores near my house are selling them like pez.)

For me it was a timing issue. Gazelle.com gave me a great quote on my 3GS I could only justify to my wife the upgrade if it's an near equal cash trade so I bought the black one. That being said, it's business, Apple uses it's polices, products and procedures to it's advantage I think consumers should do the same. If I can swap mine out I might, I don't know. But I won't feel bad for wronging Apple because they've held my cash for 2 weeks on a phone I ordered day 1. As for taking white iphone product from someone who might of waited all along for it....welcome to capitalism.

Oh. PS. I was one to buy the wifi ipad and return it for a 3G. not planned it just turned out I need mobile access a lot more than I predicted.

beamer8912

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2009
What are you talking about? When iPods were first launched they only came in white for several years! Black is actually the newer choice.

Electronic devices came in black even before the iPod. What's your point?

How many iPhones have had a white face?......That's what I thought.

I've been staring at a black face iPhone for 2 years. I'd like something new, thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.