WHo Here Hates their Black Keys and Black Bezel ??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fab5freddy, May 30, 2009.

1. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

Just curious, Who here hates their Black Keys and Black Bezel
    on their new Macbook Pro's ?
    I have the new 15" MBP and just hate the black keys and bezel !

The model before with Silver Keys and Silver Bezel was 1000% nicer !

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Oh, I disagree, the black keys look sharp. I owned the prior models with the silver keys. The unibody MBP is the best looking computer on the market and a great performer on top of that.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I love that look on my new MacBook compared to my old white one. I think it is pleasing on the eyes. :)

4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Although I think the previous keyboard was a better keyboard to use, I don't hate the look of the machine at all.

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Disagree. White on black = more legible letters on keys. Backlight is much better, too (higher contrast lit or unlit). Ever since we got a MacBook Air in the house, I've wanted the white/black (I recently upgraded from 17" MBP to the 17" UB MBP). Now, if they can do the same for the Bluetooth keyboard (and, maybe backlight...).

It took me a short time to get used to the black border, but I really do like it better. It sets off the display from any background in the room - same as our plasma TV (it actually made the same transition - our last model was silver too).

6. amoda macrumors 6502a

I like the black bezel, don't like the keys. I've gotten used to it but every time i see a non-ump I do have a "soap-opera" flashback.

7. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I like the look, though I wouldn't mind if the bezel was silver, and only the keys were black (giving the machines a MBA-like look).

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

9. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

black keys look really nice but they wear out and you can see oils real easily

10. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Sorry, disagree 100%. I've had almost every model PowerBook and MacBook Pro and the unibody with the black keys and borders is my favorite (well the Titanium G4 is very close also). I always hated the silver keys, they were terrible for backlighting unless it was really really dark.

11. magamo macrumors 6502

I think black plastic keys and the hinge look a little cheaper than aluminum parts. But it can't be helped. The black bezel is ok, though if it were silver aluminum and the same feel as the palm rest, it'd be sleeker.

12. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

In my opinion the new unibody macbooks are the nicest apple laptops. I actually like typing on it a lot more than the previous mbp's

13. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

For me, it's "meh." I like the black bezel, but I think it would look WAY better if the keys were white instead of black, following the scheme of the iMacs/aluminum keyboards. Perfect match there. Apple products are supposed to have white in their color scheme...maybe that's why the unibodies look "off" to me. I stuck some Apple stickers on my palmrests to balance things out visually:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a *slight* Apple sticker problem. They'd be on my car too...if I had one. :D

14. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Before I bought mine I 'noticed' the black keys, told the Apple salesperson I though the keys looked out of place.

But after two weeks, I am fine with it. I guess me initial response was just the natural resistance to change that most all humans experience.

I have white keys on my iMac and black keys on my MBP.

15. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

16. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

i love the look of the unibodies, comparing them to the classic MBP...while they were nice, these ones just pop out and are a nice change of style and pace from apples previous designs (PB, MBP etc)

the only issue i have is the black keys, i like them theyre great look and easy to type on..just the fact no matter how clean my hands are they get oily and seam to wear out pretty easily.

otherwise love the new designs

17. infernohellion macrumors 6502

infernohellion

18. madoka macrumors 6502

madoka

Yeah, I hate the black. The silver bezels looked so much nicer.

19. bcaslis macrumors 68020

The silver keys weren't aluminum. They were cheap painted plastic. Now if they were aluminum, they would have been classier.

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's why I won't buy the new MBP. The black keys, hinge and bezel (not to mention the lack of a matte screen option) kill the looks, in my opinion, and there are not enough technical enhancements to make up the difference. That's why I'm very happy with my early 2008 MBP. I'll keep hoping they offer better choices in the future. As someone said, if they can make iPods in rainbow colors, why not offer different color options for keyboards, hinges and bezels? I personally prefer the all-aluminum look. Much classier, in my opinion.

21. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I for one and I hope many others agree, the black keys and black bezel are PERFECT, the best, please never change them :)

White keys get dirty real fast, no matter how clean you are ... read a newspaper/magazine then type away and your white keys are black. Plus it accents the silver unibody base too, looks great, how could silver and white look better than silver and black.

Who couldn't like the black bezel around the display, I'm amazed anyone could dislike it.

First, and you can all google this before you slam me here .... but, it's more "pleasing to the eye" to have a dark (black) frame around your TV for viewing, brighter colors (silver) don't frame an object or surround it to direct your focus like black does. If that's the case for a TV then it'd be the same for a computer screen, black great, ... silver/white/beige not as good.

Of course electronics are silver for a few years, then black then back to silver or a combo of silver/black and on and on ... it's primarily a marketing/keep you interested, easily recognize the new models and encourage people to keep up with the new lastest/greatest thing ...

But, if shopping for a TV you're better to buy the years when they're in the black cycle and get a dark or black frame around the screen. Like I said you can google that, I found it reading recommendations for setting up a home theater with large screen TV ...

From personal experience I agree, my last big screen TV was a 65" Toshiba Cinema series with a light silver frame. My current TV is a 65" Panasonic Veirra it's all black and it's better to look with a black frame

So, my hope is the Rev "C" MacBook Air comes with a 'black bezel', then everything I have would match, the MBP, ACD, and iMac are black, the MBA is the only oddball.

geez, got rambling there, must of been about 420pm as I started typing this :D

22. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

I really hope they make all-black macbook pros, they would sell like hotcakes. (Blackbook II?)

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I hate the black keys and bezel, but it doesn't look like I have much of a choice.

24. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Would you ever considering upgrading or are you content with your current MBP?

25. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If the need comes up, sure I would upgrade. I'm not as picky as I used to be.

So far it's otherwise a great computer. I don't really hate the black color--I actually hate the chiclet keys. I love my Thinkpad and it's black keyboard, but that's a whole other level. The bezel is just all plastic and I don't like that.