Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
You're welcome. I have one question for you now; I see that your Macbook's keyboard had the number pad on it, does the replacement keyboard have the number pad as well?

I dont understand...the tech never mentioned anything will be different. Are you saying new keyboards dont have number keys? Now im worried.

i don't understand what he is saying either but i checked the pic as well and your laptop looks fine the way it is, as long as it works there is nothing to worry about. :)

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I dont understand...the tech never mentioned anything will be different. Are you saying new keyboards dont have number keys? Now im worried.

Look at the first picture of your Macbool you posted. You'll see it has numbers on the JKL keys. That's the psudo-number pad early Macbooks had. Does your replacement keyboard have numbers on the JKL keys as well?

LuvKaya

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2010
Look at the first picture of your Macbool you posted. You'll see it has numbers on the JKL keys. That's the psudo-number pad early Macbooks had. Does your replacement keyboard have numbers on the JKL keys as well?

Ahhh I see. I tell you I learn something new everyday. Apple hasnt called me to pick it up yet. What should I do if it is not the same?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
If it isn't the same that means you got the newer layout. The only difference is the lack of a psudo-number pad the the order of the special keys at the top. If it isn't the same, don't be unhappy. Apple probably doesn't have stock of the old layout ones anymore.

LuvKaya

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2010
If it isn't the same that means you got the newer layout. The only difference is the lack of a psudo-number pad the the order of the special keys at the top. If it isn't the same, don't be unhappy. Apple probably doesn't have stock of the old layout ones anymore.
Hahaha okay I wont be unhappy. I never would have known a difference. I am happy and grateful of the free repair!!!
I will let you know when I pick it up.
Cheers!

LuvKaya

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2010

I picked up the macbook and it looks awesome!!! The keyboard is the same...i will attach pics. New keyboard, mouse area, and casing.

LuvKaya

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2010
here are the pics. Very pleased.

Attachments

• 20120102610.jpg
    20120102610.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 180
  • 20120102611.jpg
    20120102611.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 178
  • 20120102612.jpg
    20120102612.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 175
  • 20120102613.jpg
    20120102613.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 147
  • 20120102615.jpg
    20120102615.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 132

macfrik

Contributor
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Utah
Nice

Nice replacement you got there. Its like a brand new MacBook. Just spray some dust-off on the exhaust vent to clear off dust from your MacBook and you are set! I bet a lot of dust stuck there for the life of the MacBook

macdatadrive

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2011
The city of Macintosh :)
Hell yeah! I may not have the black one, but my dad does, and trust me he's had it since 2006. In the next couple of years he'll get a macbook pro so i'll get that. My white unibody macbook is my main computer.

Kristan

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2011
This thread has just encouraged me to buy a mate's Blackbook to stop my mrs stealing my MBP :)

With an SSD in it'll be more than enough for what she wants it for :D

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I still have my 2008 2.4GHZ, C2D 4GB RAM. I was going to sell it last week and even had an ad up here and on CL. Decided I would sell off my old iPhones first and then see how things go. Sold off all the iPhones and pulled the ads for the black MB. I can't get rid of this MB. I just enjoy using it so much.

My only issue with it is connecting a plug to the audio and running the other end to my Onkyo receiver. When I stop playing a video or music, I get popping noises and a hum out of my speakers until I play something again.

I don't get that problem from my 2010 MB.

ionshards

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2012
By cracks, do you mean the edge of the top section has cracked and broken off? Apple will replace the whole top section OOW for free? Wow!

I love my blackbook! But, the chipped edges are an eyesore... haha.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
By cracks, do you mean the edge of the top section has cracked and broken off? Apple will replace the whole top section OOW for free? Wow!

I love my blackbook! But, the chipped edges are an eyesore... haha.

The palmrest area just above the sleep light on both sides. That cracking they'll replace for free.

mrweirdo

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2005
I'm still using a 2006 core duo black macbook with 2GB RAM and snow leopard myself. Its my main computer as well however its no longer portable as the built display no longer works since it has a lose or bad display cable so it stays hooked up to my desktop monitor 24/7 now. I also have the cracked up palmrest area on mine. Since the screen out I doubt they will be willing to replace the palmrest again(already had it replaced once for the same issue a few years back).

I'ts been an overall great computer though even though I went through 2 logic boards in the first year of owning it. Now day its still handles most regular tasks decently with the exception of playing streaming video sites were it will momentarily freeze up every so often(system loses responsive). Also doesn't handle HD video very well in general.

I'm looking at retiring it whenever Ivy bridge mbps launch especially since it cant run lion with software support(including 3rd party) likely to ending soon for snow leopard. That combined with the fact the display doesn't work even though I might be able to fix it unless its the LCD panel itself makes me figure its served myself well and time to move on.

Last edited:

LuvKaya

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2010
I'm still using a 2006 core duo black macbook with 2GB RAM and snow leopard myself. Its my main computer as well however its no longer portable as the built display no longer works since it has a lose or bad display cable so it stays hooked up to my desktop monitor 24/7 now. I also have the cracked up palmrest area on mine. Since the screen out I doubt they will be willing to replace the palmrest again(already had it replaced once for the same issue a few years back).

I'ts been an overall great computer though even though I went through 2 logic boards in the first year of owning it. Now day its still handles most regular tasks decently with the exception of playing streaming video sites were it will momentarily freeze up every so often(system loses responsive). Also doesn't handle HD video very well in general.

I'm looking at retiring it whenever Ivy bridge mbps launch especially since it cant run lion with software support(including 3rd party) likely to ending soon for snow leopard. That combined with the fact the display doesn't work even though I might be able to fix it unless its the LCD panel itself makes me figure its served myself well and time to move on.

just an FYI... when I had my casing replaced cause of cracked palmrest. I was told that I can have it replaced as many times as needed. You should have it fixed again and fix the display and sell it... make a little money off of it.

dcains

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2007
I found a NIB blackbook about a year ago (from a failed business) on the local CL and grabbed it for $550. It's the 2.4GHz, 4GB ram, 250GB HDD model, so I think I got a great deal, but the battery is marginal due to its age.

So, I need a new battery, and wonder if you guys have tried any of the many non-OEM replacements? I just ordered this one from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Techno-Earth®-MacBook-Battery-equivalent/dp/B003BVA7BM

I won't mind the glossy finish, since my blackbook is wrapped with a Zagg invisible shield, but I do have concerns about longevity. Anyone try this particular battery?

dauber

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
Chicago
I thought I wanted the black MacBook when I went MacBook shopping after Christmas 2007. But then when I actually saw it, I was very turned off. Didn't like the texture, didn't like the color -- it was more of a dark, dark gray. The guy at Best Buy told me the texture is to reduce smudging, and it's because of the smudge-reducing makeup of the coating that the casing is that color.

However, I wouldn't mind replacing the keyboard/wrist-wrest panel of my white MacBook with a black one. :)

dgr401

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
I bought my black MacBook on a closeout a few years ago. :D It is a 2.4, 250 HDD and has been upgraded to 4gb of memory. I love it and use it every day. The model # is 4,1 and I noticed a few days ago on OWC that this model will take 6gb of ram. Anybody try 6gb?

I plan on upgrading it to Lion shortly.

SlasherDuff

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2008
Gator Country
I have (and am posting from) a late 2007 Black MacBook. It's running the same factory stuff it has been for the last 4 years and it still runs like a dream machine.

Currently I have

1GB RAM
160GB HDD
Intel Core Duo @ 2.2gHz
Still running on OS X10.5.8 Leopard

I had some questions regarding upgrades on this machine. I am told I can run 4GB Ram (Max I have seen was 6gGB) on this machine, and want to at least upgrade to Snow Leopard, (Since I am hearing too many horror stories about Lion) I want to switch the HDD out for a 500GB internal with a clean install of SL, is this possible, and as easy as just inserting the disc and following the prompts? Forgive me I'm not that computer savvy as far as hardware and OS upgrades are concerned.

Cryptic57

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Australia
MAC BOOK 1,1 2GHz INTEL CORE DUO
2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
160 GB HDD OS X 10.6.8

Scored this a few years ago as a present/hand-me-down and it's still going strong. Usually take it on holidays even though it's a bit heavy, or prop it up for reading while on my chair. Gets a bit warm and the battery could be better but generally works very well. And it still looks great.

specialk0449

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
I have had my Black MacBook since 2006. It is running SL. I have upgraded the HD to 500 Gig. Apple replaced the keyboard and palm rest on mine last spring.

When I take it out I get quite a few comments from people. I would never sell it. I have 2 MBA's and a MBP that I use more often.

chipz

macrumors member
May 4, 2005
Voorhees, NJ
Who in here still rcking the Black MacBook

I'm still using mine every day. I have an early 2008 2.4 GHz 4GB RAM and I have put in a new 500 GB 7200 rpm HDD.It's a great machine. I was sorry to see Apple discontinue it. I have a mid 2011 MacBook Air with 4 GB RAM and the 256 GB SSD. I find myself using the Black MacBook more. I just feel more comfortable with it. One thing I really hate about the MBA is the aluminum case. I don't know what this thing Apple has with aluminum, but I think the old polycarbonate cases were much better. They didn't show the smudges and the dirt and wear and tear as much as aluminum does. I hope this Black MacBook lasts forever. It runs Lion well. Speaking of which...does anybody have any idea of the next animal Apple will have? I think they've run out of cats! Anyway, congratulations on that Black Macbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.