Who is upgrading from iPad 1 to iPad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Peterson8765, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Peterson8765 macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

Is anyone here upgrading their "old" iPad 1 for a feature packed iPad 3 when it comes out next month?

2. greg555 macrumors 6502a

Yup. I skipped the 2 since there didn't seem to be a big enough improvement to bother. Hopefully the jump from 1 to 3 will be worth it.

3. tdc02 macrumors newbie

Yes. I skip iPad 2 and willl give my iPad 1 to the kids to play with.

4. toasty hoodie macrumors 6502

toasty hoodie

Unless I can get some cash up, I gotta pass on this one for a while. May be a while before I get mine sadly

5. blackjackmark macrumors 6502

Ditto...at this point I cannot imagine that it won't be worth the upgrade considering all the rumors of a new display. Plus I'm excited at the faster processor possibilities.

6. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

I'm gonna have to wait until the specs are released to answer that question definitively, but my original iPad still works perfectly ... so probably not.

7. AlexJaye macrumors regular

Me! Jeez, I've been using my iPad as my main computer since thursday and it is AWFUL. Too slow, not enough ram, crashes often, ugh. Even used along with my MacBook it's getting pretty sad.

8. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

I am going from iPad 1 to iPad 3. I ended up skipping the iPad 2 mainly because I couldn't get one at the Apple store (64GB 3G) no matter how hard I tried. Then, when I tested the store demo unit, the quality of the cameras was the deal-breaker for me. Still, I was very close to buy one, but then I needed the money for something else, so I decided to wait for the next iPad.
    And this time, I'm pre-ordering as soon as possible! :D

9. penfan82 macrumors regular

Want to but like others posted don't know if the funds will permit it

10. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

I have the iPad1 and I'm planning of getting the iPad3.

However I will have a close look at it first. The upgrade would have to be really major (retina display, 4G, faster processor than iPad2, same or better battery life) and I will also have to see how iOS is going to evolve. So I don't think I will get it before May anyway. However I will try to get a top of the line model (3G/4G, 128GB) unless it is insanely expensive. But I expect similar price points as before so I think it will be around $850.

My main issues are the lack of a good stylus. ordered the cregle ipen to fix that problem. i hope it will work with the iPad3 as well. if the 3 doesn't work with the cregle than this is a no go.
    Then there is the lack of a file system and the fact that I can't transfer files via USB to individual apps without going through iTunes.My work computer is not allowed to have iTunes or local Wifi networks so transferring files is a major hassle.

11. Richard8655 macrumors 6502

Yep, here also. Direct path from iPad 1 to iPad 3. Even Apple insiders said iPad 2 was more of a tweak.

12. OH!MAC™ macrumors member

OH!MAC™

13. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

Yeah I will probably get the next iPad, skipped the 2 because it was a significant enough improvement (for me) on the original. I hope this next model has much improved cameras over the 2.

14. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

My original iPad is doing very well. It's used primarily as a casual use alternative device for those times I just want to lookup something on the web, quickly check email, or play a simple game.

I decided to keep it and buy an iPad 2 whey they were released. While not a huge upgrade, what Apple did change or improve were all worthwhile features.

Going forward I plan on buying an iPad 3 to see what new features it brings.

15. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Will decide for sure when I see the specs, but most likely yes. I want to see at least 1gb of ram on board, anything else they add doesn't matter so much for my use. I will however try not to upgrade the OS on it, simply because every update on my iPad 1 made it slower and slower. Apple needs to stop this practice.

16. SporkLover macrumors 6502

I've got the 1 & 2 in my household. I want to see if I can get one with more storage than 64gb before I definitively say I'm getting one.

17. Billnap macrumors newbie

18. Vikz macrumors regular

Vikz

Im thinking about it.

Retina display and a faster processor is not really worth to me in a $500+ investment, especially while being in college. Now of it has more eye candy I may shoot and get it but for now il stick with iPad 1

19. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

skipped ipad 2, will buy ipad 3 no matter what.

20. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Same thought process for me.

However, if the specs for the 3 aren't a huge jump from the 2 I may just save some money and upgrade to a lower priced 2. Price will also be a factor for me. Cost vs upgrades.

21. eaf7s macrumors regular

My boyfriend just sold his 1 a few weeks ago, in an alleged attempt trim unneeded technological fat but I know damn well what he'll be doing the day the 3 comes out...

22. The Loafer macrumors newbie

Skipped the 2nd, will buy this new one (3? er.... Ipad Pro ;) ). My biggest reason is not that the Ipad 1 doesn't do the job, rather my wife has been asking for it for about a year now, so it's like a license to upgrade :)

23. camardelle macrumors 6502

My school provides me with one. My principal and I discussed it and both felt like the 3 would be relatively quickly after the 2 so we bypassed it altogether. I think we did the right thing.

Frankly, the first gen iPad still has a lot of life left in it I think.

24. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge