Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
My employer pays for mine - huge corporate account with AT&T, everyone gets 900 minutes (shared pool) and 200 texts per month, with unlimited data.

marine610610

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2007
Nice.
People get upset when they see that a teenager has something that they have too. Simple as that. It brings out the immaturity of everyone, then the thread turns into a piss fest.

I won't lie, it burns me a little. :D

Its not really a big deal, its just a damn phone, but i hate seeing kids with em to. I know im just being a hater.... :p

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
adding a question!!

so we know that some people pay there bills some are payed for but to those that pay others bills, why? what is it that makes you want to or simply pay other peoples bill?

im not being rude here i wanna know why they are paying for 5 other people when generaly speaking they dont have to work related phones i can understand.

so my question is if you pay for other peoples iphone/phones why?

jeremykyle

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2009
I'm a college student, so my dad pays mine and my younger sister's. Her's was a birthday gift on my plan, and mine was something I had to have at college. Unlimited text and data on a family plan, with an iPhone, my dad loves me. :p

jeremykyle

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2009
What.

The.

Hell.

Now admittedly mobile phones weren't commonplace when I was a kid, but I simply can't imagine having my parents pay for any sort of service contract for me. I was lucky enough to have them cover part of my college expenses, but I still had to work throughout college to stay in the black. The concept of parents buying young teenagers expensive mobile phones and pricey service plans (and, what's more, continuing to pay for the cost of service throughout college) is really quite alien to me.

My parents pay every dollar of my college education, and pay for my phone on top of that, and put a surplus of money into my bank account when I need it. It is all about the parents values, and what they think they should do for their child, based on what they were given as a kid. My parents tell me I am only as fortunate as I am due to my father having such a great job and them wanting to provide for me what they didn't have. They pay for my college education, which isn't much because I am on scholarships, simply because I am the first person in my family EVER to go to college. I don't see any problem with a parent paying for a child's phone if they want to be sure to have a way to keep in touch with that child at all times.

Farns514

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
Chicago
My parents pay every dollar of my college education, and pay for my phone on top of that, and put a surplus of money into my bank account when I need it. It is all about the parents values, and what they think they should do for their child, based on what they were given as a kid. My parents tell me I am only as fortunate as I am due to my father having such a great job and them wanting to provide for me what they didn't have. They pay for my college education, which isn't much because I am on scholarships, simply because I am the first person in my family EVER to go to college. I don't see any problem with a parent paying for a child's phone if they want to be sure to have a way to keep in touch with that child at all times.

Very much agreed. This is how my parents are as well. Except i wanted to work for my own spending money in college and put my own money in my bank account. My parents want to give me everything they did not get fully. I am not on scholarships though. My parents very much said the same to me.

theDUB

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2008
SLT, CA
Every month when my bill comes in the mail I just rip it in half and throw it away....seems to be working out pretty well for me.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
so we know that some people pay there bills some are payed for but to those that pay others bills, why? what is it that makes you want to or simply pay other peoples bill?

im not being rude here i wanna know why they are paying for 5 other people when generaly speaking they dont have to work related phones i can understand.

so my question is if you pay for other peoples iphone/phones why?

As of now I can afford it, that's why I can pay for it. Besides, my Foundation Account Number on my account helps me ease the expenses.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
Just goes to show you that having a large disposable income doesn't necessarly mean that one is smart.

Kinda like buying a 16yr old a high powered sports car. Not really a good idea.

Is it even a good idea for anyone to buy a high powered sports car, at this time, or ever? :D

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
... odd.... why don't you just go ask your parents.

cause if you did any reading my parents dont pay for any of my bills i pay rent i pay car insurance and i pay my iPhone bill

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I'm 27, had been on my own cell plan for the last 5+ years. But last month when the iPhone finally came to Vermont, my dad and I joined together to form a family plan. We found that it was actually cheaper for everyone if we joined. We all get unlimited texts, the data plan and more minutes to share than before. If I was getting the phone by myself, it would be over $100 with everything we have now; I just Paypal him $80 each month to cover my portion of the bill. He's happy because it saves him about $60/month for him, his wife, and my stepsister who is still in college. It feels like a step back, but overall we all saved money each month.

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI

Thank you. You took the words out of my mouth.

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I'm 16.

I payed for the phone (About $400 when all said and done) and pay for the bill every month.

P.S. I KNOW these 12 year olds didn't pay for these computers, like the 13 or 14 year old in here with a 3.06Ghz iMac? Come on, Want? Earn it!

Don't make personal attacks on someone here.
Different parents have different beliefs. If they want to buy their kid a computer, then so be it. Is it teaching the kid a bad lesson? No. My parents always have told me that I need to get a good job so I can do the same for my kids.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
I pay my bill, I'm in university full time still. My bill is $80/month and includes 250 daytime minutes, unlimited nights after 6 and weekends, 1000 Canadian Long Distance minutes, unlimited SMS, 6GB data, voice mail and everything else, yadda yadda yadda

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.