Who uses their PPC mac as their main machine?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by TacticalDesire, May 20, 2012.

1. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Lots of people have them. But I am just curious as to how many people actually use their PowerPC macs as their primary machine? If so what are the specs?

2. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

Well my "main" machine is a MacPro (see signature), but I rotate through various PowerPC laptops as my main portable. I'm currently typing this on a PowerBook G3 Pismo (400MHz, 1GB RAM, 40GB HDD, running OS 10.4.11).

3. thorns macrumors member

I do. My other PCs are a Thinkpad X60 and a Portege R200. The X60 is on par in terms of speed (games excluded), but I just feel more comfortable with Mac OS.

4. ghett0tech macrumors member

5. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

iMac 20" G5 as my main desktop. 1.8GHz, 2GB of RAM, 250GB of storage, airport and BT.

6. tjsdaname macrumors 6502

I don't, But I could. my G5 is fast enough for me with everything but rendering video.

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I was using my 1.8 G5 Tower at home as my main computer until it died recently (thread in this forum). The biggest drawback to it was that I like Firefox and Firefox stopped supporting PPCs a long while back so I ran into issues with playing video online at times. If I can figure out if there is a simple fix inexpensive fix, like a power supply, I'd replace it and try to eek another couple of years out of it. Otherwise I'll be upgrading.

8. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

I use my ibook G4 as my main laptop...desktop i use puppy

9. Colpeas, May 20, 2012
    Last edited: May 21, 2012

Colpeas macrumors 6502

Colpeas

Well, I also use my PPC Dual 2.0GHz G5 tower as a main computer. I was planning to retire it, but i had to put it up again at the beginning of May, because my then main Mac - a 2010 MacBook Pro has been stolen. As I was used to Intel environment, switching back to PPC was not very convenient, but I am getting used to it pretty quickly. I'll just have to add some more RAM in the near future because with current 1.5GB it tends to be sluggish...

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

All my family has are PowerPC Macs.

Me. Browsing and general stuff: 1 GHZ 17" PowerBook G4, 2GB ram.
    Design/work: 1.67 Ghz 17" PowerBook G4 DLSD/HD, 2GB ram.

My wife, 12" 1 Ghz PowerBook G4 1.25GB ram.

My son, 15" 1Ghz PowerBook G4 (Titanium) DVI, 1GB ram

My daughter, iBook G3, Dual USB.

My work Mac is a PowerMac G5, 1.8Ghz, 4GB ram.

11. TacticalDesire thread starter macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Does your design/work PB ever get too hot?

12. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

My 12-inch PowerBook G4 is my main portable work machine, while I use an Intel iMac at home. It has its slowdowns occasionally, but I get by.

13. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

My eMac takes care of my computing needs perfectly. :)

1.42 GHz G4
    1.5 GB RAM
    80 GB HDD

14. TacticalDesire thread starter macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Hey, as long as it does what you need it to do. That's all the matters.

15. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I've not had that experience and I have had several apps open at once. It's gotten hot enough to run the fan sometimes but that's usually because some app is spiking cpu to 100 percent (usually TenFourFox).

Generally it runs around 105-128 degrees. The fan only comes on around 140.

My other 17" Powerbook actually runs much hotter and it's only 1Ghz. Perhaps that's because it has a failed external cache and so the processor is more busy, IDK.

16. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

My quad core G5 is hands down my fastest computer so its my desktop machine. Coming in a close 2nd for the most use is my 12" Powerbook (what I'm using now). After that, its my MacBook Pro and thats more due to its battery life than anything else. I honestly don't have any desire for the newest and fastest anymore, so I'm sticking with what i've got until i have to upgrade.

17. DrakkenWar macrumors 6502

DrakkenWar

PPC all the way!

Even though I have a nice home office with a 2011 i7 mini, hooked up to dual displays and all that, I find most of my computing time is here on my 15" 1.5 PB( Typing on it now ;) ). As a stay at home dad, trying to finish up a college degree, I rarely have time to actually sit down in front of my mini upstairs. So this beauty follows me all around the house to get it in studies, macrumors trooling, a bit of news and email no matter where I am at.
    And I have to say for the most part, this laptop is truly a dream to use. I upgraded recently from an iBook G3/900 that finally died from the graphics issue. :( I ended up selling my dual 1.8 G5 and my quad 2.5 to raise some funds and with my student discount was able to get the mini, but could not afford a new MacBookPro. In retrospect I do not regret it in the least! :D I am actually in the market for a tricked out 1.67 17" PB, that I could see myself using for more than a few years down the road.

~Drake

18. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I left Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz few months ago is because some certain apps will not work with external iSight webcam and new app will not work with Leopard :(

I am happy with MacBook Pro anyway :)

19. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

I have a total of four roles for the hardware I own and 3 of them are done 100% on the two Sawtooth in my sig.

The four roles are OS X user, OpenBSD user, PowerPC Open BSD development and x86 OpenBSD development. Obviously the x86 development is the one I do not use PowerPC for but I only code and test what I'm working on. Virtually all my BSD use as a user is on my 1 GHz tower along with PowerPC development. My 1.8 GHz is pretty much dedicated to Leopard.

20. Hallivand macrumors regular

Hallivand

My main desktop machine is a Quicksilver 933mHz with a 300GB HDD and 1.5GB ram rocking Leopard.

For mobile use I'm using a loan HP Elitebook until my (just bought on eBay today) Powerbook G4/1.67Ghz comes in :D coupled with 2GB RAM too. All for $165 :D

Though I wouldn't mind investing in a later model G5, preferably anything over Dual 2Ghz as the Quicksilver is seriously showing its age. Makes me miss my old Dual 1.8 G5. Man that thing screamed with RAID0 and 3GB RAM.

21. g4 powerbookboy macrumors regular

I am fully planning on using my g4 powerbook 1.33 ghz as my main laptop unless i am out chasing storms, then have to use my windows laptop since the radar programs are windows based only. otherwise i have a intel imac at home and fully planning on using my new g4 powerbook 1.33 as my main portable. need to find a 512 or 1 gb ddr 2700 ram chip for it since the lower slot appears dead and it is running tiger on 256k of memory right now, and it runs it suprisingly well.:) :apple:

22. ppcg4mac macrumors 6502

ppcg4mac

Im currently using an eMac, connected to a Gigabit ethernet G4 (server) as a screen and GIMP editing machine.

23. surroundfan macrumors 6502

Sort of, for the moment at least...

I'm currently studying in Italy, so I've got myself a cheap $100 iBook G4 800MHz version, with 640MB RAM and a hacked-on copy of Leopard. This is a computer that can be lost, stolen, dropped, broken, have cheap wine spilt all over it etc without me having to shed a tear.

The lack of RAM is annoying (I really should have chucked 1GB in before I left) but I'm pleasantly surprised at how versatile it is running TenFourFox, Office 2008 and Perian.

24. BigRed1 macrumors 6502

I use a single G5 1.8 Tower as my main machine. I have an expensive PCI soundcard that I use with Logic Pro 8 that I do a lot of home recording with. I can't afford to replace it and probably won't be able to for some years. I wish I could, but it's just not in the cards. The machine is fine for basic browsing and music, but comes to a crawl with even basic iPhoto browsing/editing.

25. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

Yeah, those single processor G5's really show their age when compared to the dual/quads. Off subject, are you a former 1st Infantry Division member? I'm guessing because of your username.