Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nineohtoo

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
SF Bay Area
I'm really thinking about getting the 13.3" 4GB ram 128GB model which will come out to $1473 with a student discount. I currently have a 13.3" MBP with 8GB ram and an 80GB SSD and 1TB HDD. Not counting the ram upgrade and second hard drive and enclosure, my sort of similar setup cost me roughly about $1300(picked up the laptop and SSD on sale).

I hardly ever need more than 4GB of ram and don't mind carrying around around my 1TB HDD in an enclosure. All I use my computer for is web browsing, music and movie playback, photo editing and some word processing. I plan on doing some digital illustrating down the line, but that's about it.

I find the 1440x900 resolution to be very enticing. I'm even willing to give up the backlit keyboard for it. Losing a few hours of battery life isn't too big of a deal for me since my laptop is almost always plugged in. Now I need to decide wether it's worth it to take a $100+ loss on my current setup and fork up almost $300 for a shiny new toy and lose a bit of performance all around. I sorta don't think its worth it...

Doc750

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
If I need a full portable computer I have the MBP, if I need a extremely portable screen to surf the web, watch movies, etc, I have the Ipad.

while the MBA is a cool gadget, personally I honestly can't see a use for it.

damn it, now I'm going to have to wait for the next cool gadget to come out from apple.

Ace134blue

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
trash, 999 for a 64 gb slow 1.4 processor or 100 more for a 13.3 macbook pro with almost double everything. Ill pass.

The 1.6GHZ is maybe 3%faster than the old 1.8 because the L2 Cache doubled to 6mb

Some one lied to me :mad:

gostan

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
West of Boston
I ordered the 13 incher with 1.86/4GB/256GB:) I decided that opting for more RAM and storage was more important than the faster processor, as this BTO will suit my needs perfectly.

terrorist

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2010
just signed up from canada...

purchased the 13" MBA today. waited till i was done my midterms to even LOOK at the apple website in fear of distraction.

2.13 ghz
4gb ram
256 flash
office presintalled student

2069.70 is not bad at ALL.

25th of october my life will change.

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
About to place an order for:
13" 2.13/4GB/256GB SSD

Just need to get rid of my iPad before I click the check-out button.

I think it is going to be my main computer until Christmas.

Basic Lightroom or Photoshop, Adium, Browsing, and some videos. It has the same GPU as the current MBP 13" right?

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
How much of a speed difference do you think the 1.6 ghz has between the 1.4ghz? Do you think it will be that noticeable i ordered the 1.4ghz.

It's probably minimal. I just figured I could go ahead and get the 1.6 as I haven't bought a notebook for a long time.

I doubt either of us will be doing anything too intense on an 11 inch screen, so 1.4 might even be the smarter choice. I don't know.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Question...

Does anyone know if you get the $99 rebate on printer, IF you have to send in UPC labels, or if it's just submitting the order number online?

I don't want to have to cut up the box, but if I can just submit an online form, I'll get the freebie and use it until the ink runs out.

Longtimemac

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2010
Sydney, Australia
About to place order for MBA 13"/2.13/4GB/256 to replace my trusty MBA Rev: 1/Runcore 125. Need to have 4GB RAM to run an essential Win 7 package via Parallels. However, I just noticed Apple have discontinued the backlit keyboard? This is a strange decision given the use of portables in dark airplanes and poorly lit hotel rooms. Further, the keyboard on the existing MBA is superb. Sadly, I must wait longer and continue to lug around the Vostro.:cool:

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
About to place order for MBA 13"/2.13/4GB/256 to replace my trusty MBA Rev: 1/Runcore 125. Need to have 4GB RAM to run an essential Win 7 package via Parallels. However, I just noticed Apple have discontinued the backlit keyboard? This is a strange decision given the use of portables in dark airplanes and poorly lit hotel rooms. Further, the keyboard on the existing MBA is superb. Sadly, I must wait longer and continue to lug around the Vostro.:cool:

I don't understand. My desktop's keyboard is hidden inside my desk, in a drawer type thing. I don't pull it out.

I don't need to see my keyboard. I know the keyboard and how to type.

Just my 2 cents. The illuminated keyboard just seems like a fancy cool factor.

Gruber

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
OK, I am buying. But I cannot help but feel slightly cheated: The specs are similar to the way outdated MBA Rev C. I even have to downgrade on the screen (glossy), keyboard (non-lit) and SSD size (tops out at 128GB on the small one).
And C2D? Seriously? Im I supposed to be happy that Steve did not have old Pentium Ms lying around any more?

Thus, we can expect a substantial upgrade in spring (i7, better GPU, moar SSD, 8GB?), and I will have to buy again. Hrmpf.

Anyway, thanks for giving me an ultraportable with 4GB. I hate you, Windows users will laugh at me like crazy if they see the poor specs, but I will buy it.

Whorehay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
OK, I am buying. But I cannot help but feel slightly cheated: The specs are similar to the way outdated MBA Rev C. I even have to downgrade on the screen (glossy), keyboard (non-lit) and SSD size (tops out at 128GB on the small one).
And C2D? Seriously? Im I supposed to be happy that Steve did not have old Pentium Ms lying around any more?

Thus, we can expect a substantial upgrade in spring (i7, better GPU, moar SSD, 8GB?), and I will have to buy again. Hrmpf.

Anyway, thanks for giving me an ultraportable with 4GB. I hate you, Windows users will laugh at me like crazy if they see the poor specs, but I will buy it.

Previous MBA also has a similar style glossy screen (one without glass).

I will be surprised if i5 or i7 come to the MBA that soon. The entry level 13" MBP is still C2D and even the 21.5" iMac only come in i3 configurations.

halledise

macrumors 68000
hello i was thinking about the 13" mba with 4gm ram. But im curious there is no cd drive??? so do i have to buy the super drive to install something and also read i can connect to a optical drive wirelessly from a mac or pc how does this?/

I bought a LaCie external Lightscribe dvd/cd writer which works a treat with all model Airs and is less expensive than the Apple external S/Drive and more versatile.

using Remote Disc you can of course connect to either another Mac or PC, but to use an external optical drive is heaps quicker and much less hassle

hope this helps a little :D

halledise

macrumors 68000

and you won't regret it cos it'll be as fast as … baby

fuzzielitlpanda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2008
wow so jealous of all those getting it tomorrow. i really wish this thing came with 4gb standard so i could just buy a bto

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.