Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA
I have an 8GB iPhone 3G, my girlfriend said she would pay me 100 dollars for it. Should I sell it to her or do you think I could get more money for it from a place like craigslist or something?

saccento

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
New Jersey
guys the question is now.. since we no longer have the iPhone are we "iPhone customers" according to AT&T, to be eligible for the early upgrade?

toliy253

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
Sold my 32GB iPhone 3GS today. 10 mins after posting it on CL I had about 4 people who wanted to buy it. The market is really strong even with the new iPhone 4 coming out. I was really surprised at the overwhelming interest. I'm Pre-ordering iPhone 4 on June 15th, till then I'm using a razor.

Rooftop voter

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2010
Lol. In two weeks They will be worth exactly what they are worth now. Absolutely no reason to go without an iPhone for that long. Lol. That **** cracks me up.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Just curious as to why u want a phone then? :p

I'm out of school now. I'm not away from the people who need to call me. At school it's slightly different.
Also because I will buy anything if it's shiny and made by Apple :)
Basically the title should read "Who didn't budget their money so they could keep their current iPhone and buy the new one".

I know I know, you sold your old iPhone so you could get "top dollar" before the market was flooded. If making an extra $60 dollars or so is that important to you, maybe iPhone isn't the phone for you. Now I know my stance a pretty arrogant one but what ever happened to saving for your high ticket items?

I worked a summer job for along time to get my first (Aluminium 16gb) iPhone and then sold it for the 3G then sold the 3g for the 3GS and then the 3gs for the iPhone 4. I've actually made about $200 profit so far. It not about budgeting, it's about not wanting to waste my hard-earned money.

I have an 8GB iPhone 3G, my girlfriend said she would pay me 100 dollars for it. Should I sell it to her or do you think I could get more money for it from a place like craigslist or something?
You'll get more money on Craig's list or ebay, but your girlfriend may be mad at you.

BlazeX444

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
Sold my 32GB iPhone 3GS today. 10 mins after posting it on CL I had about 4 people who wanted to buy it. The market is really strong even with the new iPhone 4 coming out. I was really surprised at the overwhelming interest. I'm Pre-ordering iPhone 4 on June 15th, till then I'm using a razor.

how much did you sell yours for?

toliy253

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
how much did you sell yours for?

Sold it for $370. I know I could have probably got more as it was in almost perfect condition but I just didn't want to hassle to much. Sold it, got it over with and now waiting for June 15th when I can pre-order the iPhone 4.

army91c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
There's always one. :rolleyes:
One that can budget his money so he doesn't have to sell his 3gs early to pay for the new phone..... no, I'm sure there's lots more just like me.

I worked a summer job for along time to get my first (Aluminium 16gb) iPhone and then sold it for the 3G then sold the 3g for the 3GS and then the 3gs for the iPhone 4. I've actually made about $200 profit so far. It not about budgeting, it's about not wanting to waste my hard-earned money.
Who's telling you to throw away your hard earned money? I never said people shouldn't try and sell their current phone to help cover cost of the new one. I simply see a bunch of people on here saying how they are missing their iPhone and how they are using crappy phone x instead. How about just saving up some money and selling their current i when they get the new one? Like I said, if making a few extra bucks is worth being without you iPhone for a few weeks then more power to you.

I'll be swapping my cracked plastic/dust under the screen 3gs for a "new" refurb here in about a week or so. I was thinking about keeping it but could sell it seeing as it will be a "new" phone with not a mark on it. We'll see..... nice to know I don't have to go without my i just to get the new one.

Bakakage

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
Sold it for $370. I know I could have probably got more as it was in almost perfect condition but I just didn't want to hassle to much. Sold it, got it over with and now waiting for June 15th when I can pre-order the iPhone 4.
Did you sell it unlock? I wanna sell my 16gb unlocked for 400 on cl.

gazzrenn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Blackpool, UK
Sold my 3GS yesterday. Went and bought a phone from Tesco for £10 to replace it(!)

I can play Suduko on it... and i've not charged it yet and I'm still on full battery!

_vyrn_788LG-GB102-white.jpg

applefan022

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2010
Little Rock, AR
sold my iPhone 3G monday on ebay, shipped yesterday and im missing it already! c'mon 24th! back to using the crackberry 8800 oh boy how I DO NOT miss this thing! :apple:

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
One that can budget his money so he doesn't have to sell his 3gs early to pay for the new phone..... no, I'm sure there's lots more just like me.

Stop being a prick, seriously it's just annoying. I have plenty of money to afford the things I want, but I also am smart with my money and getting the most for the stuff I sell is important for me. As much as I miss my iPhone I have a fully capable Android handset that can get me through two weeks so only an idiot would lose out on getting the most for an item he can.

If I didn't have that phone I wouldn't have sold my 3GS as again, money due to affordability was not the issue, just not being stuck with my phone and getting the most out of it was. Again people who can afford something can also be frugal, conservative or just plain smart with getting the most out of something. Not to mention I could have dropped it, broke it, drenched it accidently in water (I have a 3 year old) in that time so why not sell it while I can and while the phone was still mint. I had just got my phone replaced from Apple so this one was like new.

Yes from this post you could assume that if I really wanted to keep my phone and I could afford to do so I would have kept it, but again that's not what this was about. It was more the fact that I was curious who sold and who like me realized how much they really were addicted to the iphone.

Assuming that people who sell early can't afford something is ****ing idiotic and pompous. I'm not rich by any means, but pulling in 70k a year at the very least allows me to piss away money on iphones without breaking a sweat. (not to mention my wife who is an RN and makes about the same, again we aren't rich by any stretch, but we live comfortably. I only bring up income since you decided to ASSume that we are all poor)

Considering I have had every Iphone released should at least indicate that I'm not struggling, you can opt to believe that or not, it really makes no difference to me, but I'm just sick of reading your snotty ass comments.

Reply if you'd like, continue to flame if you'd like, I'm done with you. Only because I'm headed to the soup line for lunch.

Siciliano611

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Can you use a prepaid cheap phone from say walmart or target as a backup with my old SIM or would that not work? I cant find anyone with an extra AT&T phone around right now...

elephunkman

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2010
Boston
Lol. In two weeks They will be worth exactly what they are worth now. Absolutely no reason to go without an iPhone for that long. Lol. That **** cracks me up.

Really depends on your market. My city's prices drop significantly as the date comes nearer towards preorders.

cmcclure16

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2007
I have a question, I'm thinking of doing the Best Buy trade in but it says it could take up to 14 days. I have an old first gen iPhone sitting around, if I pop the SIM card out of my 3GS, can I put it in the 2G for the next 2 weeks and still be a-okay and even retain my $30 unlimited data package?

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Really depends on your market. My city's prices drop significantly as the date comes nearer towards preorders.

Yup, it's silly to assume that as time goes on the phone will be worth as much, only because people will gradually start dumping them off more.

Already there are more Iphones on Craigslist since I sold mine 2 days ago.

cmcclure16

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2007
I have a question, I'm thinking of doing the Best Buy trade in but it says it could take up to 14 days. I have an old first gen iPhone sitting around, if I pop the SIM card out of my 3GS, can I put it in the 2G for the next 2 weeks and still be a-okay and even retain my $30 unlimited data package?

bump. :(

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Just want to chime in on the "shouldn't be buying an iPhone if you need to sell yours to afford the new one" comments.

I sold mine early because I thought I might get a few extra bucks by selling it before it's announced. Is that really the case? I'm not sure. I have plenty of money to by a new iPhone without selling my old one. I'm just not one to pass up a few extra bucks in my savings. If it means using an old phone for 2 weeks, I'll survive. My savings account didn't get to where it is by saying "Ah, it's only 50 bux, I don't need it".

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I sold my 3GS on Sunday via eBay for $425. Now I am using a Pink RAZR which is horrid

coasterswim

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Just want to chime in on the "shouldn't be buying an iPhone if you need to sell yours to afford the new one" comments.

I sold mine early because I thought I might get a few extra bucks by selling it before it's announced. Is that really the case? I'm not sure. I have plenty of money to by a new iPhone without selling my old one. I'm just not one to pass up a few extra bucks in my savings. If it means using an old phone for 2 weeks, I'll survive. My savings account didn't get to where it is by saying "Ah, it's only 50 bux, I don't need it".

My thoughts exactly. Could I afford tossing my current iPhone in the trash and buying a new one straight-out? Yes. Would that make sense? No. It's all about opportunity cost.

Scenario 1: Keep iPhone, have it 3 extra weeks, be out maybe $100
Scenario 2: Sell iPhone, don't have it those week, be out $0

Is using an iPhone for 3 weeks worth $100 to me? No.

puggles

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
Im just going to trade my 16GB 3gs for $200 to radio shack on launch day so i dont have to live without my iphone. I replaced the screen and voided the warranty anyway which im sure drops the value a lot.

Orange™

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2010

Jeez, how cheap are you? Is it not a serious relationship? Are you a troll?
Guys buy and give gifts to there lovers all the time, where have you been?

You fail for not giving it to her. :eek:

+1

iKennett

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2007
I just sold one iPhone 3GS in Black and one in White for £350 each after fees and postage. I was very please for the price. I do think that the market is going to flood with them shortly so it will bring the price down soon but not sure when.

More the 2 weeks now without an iPhone... iPad will keep me happy for now :eek:

tungstentim

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2007
Yep sold my 16Gb 3g on bay last week. I do miss it. However I'm enjoying not being glued to facebook, engadget etc.

Looking forward to getting my iPhone 4 32Gb on the 24th June, I'd just like to know how much it's going to cost in the UK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.