Why did they have to change the keyboard in 3.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Mar 22, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

What's the deal with the new keyboard? Was there something wrong with the old keyboard? I noticed that not only did the font change, but also the pop-up letters. In widscreen mode, the letter pop-ups are huge now and it looks distracting to me. Also, the drop shadows are missing on some letters and there are some weird glitches with the drop shadows. Why did they take something that works and change it for no reason?

Here's an example of the new keyboard. The one with the blue Search button is from 3.0. By the way... I found the 3.0 screenshot online... it's not my screenshot... I just animated it:

Attached Files:

2. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

3. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm just wondering why they had to change it at all? If they didn't change it, they wouldn't have weird shadow bugs and stuff. I think it was fine the way it was. Nothing wrong with the letters on the 2.2.1 keyboard.

4. kenkamm macrumors regular

They did it just to piss you off. They did that with the icons too.

5. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Here's what I mean about the big key pop-ups. That looks so distracting. It's like BAM!

Attached Files:

6. TexanMan05 macrumors regular

TexanMan05

What are you even talking about? Do you even have the 3.0 Beta installed? Doubtful. Because if you did, you would notice that the new features over shadow any small difference that you imagine exists on the keyboard, or that there are different icons or that the background is now graphite black instead of midnight black etc.. :rolleyes:

7. eddietr macrumors 6502a

You mean they didn't even ask you before changing the font on the keys?

Oh, that's just totally unacceptable.

There's probably a clause in your AT&T contract that will allow you to get out of it early for this. You should check.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Holy ****! That is one major f up on Apple's part! WHY OH WHY did they do that?

9. rarity macrumors regular

rarity

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

That looks like they made it bigger so people with bigger fingers can have confirmation they pressed that button....

11. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Bro, do you just sit staring at your phone all day trying to think of new threads?

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Without a doubt.

The popups are larger? BAM! Here's your ****ing letter! That is more like what Apple is saying.

13. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

DAMN IT!!! I'M NOT GETTING THE 3.0 FIRMWARE NOW!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

14. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

aside from very very slightly thinner letters on the keys i dont see anything different. Also for the big popups in landscape? who cares im just happy to have landscape texting once this comes out

15. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Wanna know the really weird thing? I noticed the new letters on the keys without even comparing them. I noticed right away. I pay close attention to detail. I guess it's from the kind of work I do at work. It's just in my nature to be that way. Is that a crime or something?

I'm thinking that 99% of you didn't even know they touched the keyboard.

The reason I started this thread was because of all the current glitches with the keyboard that they wouldn't have to fix if they just left it alone. Do you think it was really that important to change the font width?

16. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Should I tell the OP that the keyboard changes a little bit between different apps (.com button in Safari) or just let him freak out by his own?

17. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

I bet 99% of us aren't anal enough to fret about a beta.

18. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Yeah, I know about how the keyboard adapts to what you're typing in, but the letters don't change size.

I guess I just have this strange fear that 3.0 will ship with crappy graphics because nobody noticed or even cared to let Apple know about it.

19. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm thinking about destroying my 1st Generation iPhone right now in protest. I'll probably do so will impaling my macbook screen with it.

do you think that will make them think twice before they change the background hue on the keyboard?

20. kenkamm macrumors regular

We can sleep at night because we know you would NEVER let such an atrocity slip through!

Ugh.

21. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I believe the hue changed because of the JPEG compression. I could be wrong though. I don't see why they would change the hue slightly.

22. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Except most of the people who posted in this thread so far are in favor of the changes. Maybe that's Apple's recipe for success, doing things thespaz doesn't find agreeable.
    :cool:

23. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I must say that I would have never noticed the change. I actually favor it though. It seems to stand out more and have a better contrast to the keys.

Is this something that you will notice in your daily use and it will bother you, or are you just intrigued as to why they changed it?

24. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Basically you're complaining about possible UI glitches in a OS that hasn't even been officially released? Yeah, that makes sense... :rolleyes: