Why do people hate Chrome?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by adder7712, Apr 1, 2011.

1. adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712

There's almost a universal hate for the browser in its Macupdate page. Certain Apple users seem to hate everything made by Google.

Why, is why I want to know. The browser never failed me once in fact it feels zippier than Safari.

I can't understand the mistrust with Google. Just because they track certain data, that doesn't imply they are saving your history for 1337h4x0r1ng.

2. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

I always use Chrome, apart from when I'm at work. It's fantastic, really fast. I have real issues with Firefox/IE.

3. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

for me it is that Google will secretly have your computer connect to them ... not sure why they do that? ... Google software update? I don't have any Google software.

I have a reverse firewall on my MBP that lets me catch outgoing connections that I do not want my computer connecting to.

without the reverse firewall ... my MBP would be connecting to Google without me even knowing... I always deny the connection. :cool:

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I've been using Chrome as my primary browser at work (Windows) and at home (MBP)

5. jahala macrumors regular

I like Chrome, but in each release, there is something that does not work correctly. It is something different each time. So far, Safari works the best for me.

6. ufkdo macrumors 6502

I use Chrome and love it. I know Google tracks certain datas but I am pretty sure they will not use them in a bad way. Besides, Facebook is more scary than Google when it comes to tracking data. Ask those who dislike Chrome just because of Google's tracking if they use Facebook :)

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

Is not Chrome provided by Google? There's a logical reason for Chrome to check with Google for updates.

8. hayesk macrumors 65816

People can choose which information they put on Facebook.

9. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

The thing is that you have no idea what information Chrome is sending back when it communicates back to HQ. The server could be called 'swupdate.google.com' but that's all it is, just a name given to a domain.

Chrome user here btw.

10. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

Chrome is fine and dandy, and works quite well. I just refuse to become a Google slave. They've already penetrated too much of our computing experience.

Zero Safari problems = why use anything else? (YMMV)

11. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I don't have Google Chrome installed on my MBP

12. adder7712 thread starter macrumors 68000

adder7712

I kind of prefer the way Chrome updates, sometime it's beneficial as some users are reluctant when it comes to updates.

13. NYR99 macrumors 6502a

I really want to use Chrome. There is only 1 reason why I don't. There is no way to disable the bookmark icons on the bookmark bar. I want only text.

14. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

re: Why do people hate Chrome?

Universal hate? Aren't you being just a teeny bit over the top?

To the contrary, I find that many posters on this forum use and love Chrome. I have seen no one post anything about Chrome that I could remotely call "hate."

My own sentiments about Chrome is that for Mac users it is an answer to a question that no one asked. For Windows users, Chrome is another alternative to the steaming pile that is Internet Explorer. For the MacOS X user, the developer supplies a standards-compliant browser, Safari, that earns perfect scores on all three W3C Acid Tests. Chrome is based on Apple's WebKit, the browser frameworks used by Safari. This is not like Captain Kirk on Mudd's Planet where you love one robot but hate an identical copy.

Some posters above have issues with Google as a company. That is not a hatred for Chrome, per se. My issue is with Chrome fans who claim that Chrome is vastly superior than Safari when, in fact, Chrome and Safari are largely the same under the skin. Google would not have chosen WebKit if Safari were a deficient browser.

15. gameface macrumors 6502

I would use Chrome if it had all the options that FF has with add-ons. Until then, I will stick with FF. A millisecond faster load means nothing to me if I can't RIP it.

16. tcador macrumors regular

I love Chrome and everything it has to offer. My wife on the other hand loathes it and will only use Safari. Dunno why.

17. Luph67 macrumors member

Best thing about chrome is the unified address/search bar.

I always laugh when I look at screenshots of the other browsers that still have a search bar.

18. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I don't hate Chrome, I just don't think about it much.

19. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

I'm a Chrome user on my MBP and on my PC's. Its a bit faster loading pages for a variety of reasons. As a new Mac user I'm not as familiar with Safari as I am with Chrome so its my default. I have no issues with Safari, I'm just used to Chrome.

There's on time I will choose Safari and thats when I'm on battery. As is well documented, Chrome will engage the dgu and Safari won't. If I remember I'll force it to use the igp but if I'm in a hurry I'll just grab Safary.

Lol, Ditto!

20. adder7712 thread starter macrumors 68000

adder7712

21. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I don't know man, the first program I installed on my Mac was Chrome and synced the account with my other computers.

I love the speed and stability of the browser alogn with the minimalistic look.

22. X2468 macrumors regular

I don't "hate" anything. It makes me laugh when I read the haters posts no matter what the topic is. The reason it really makes me laugh is twofold. First, why take it so personally? Second, these poor people thrive on chaos and anger. I don't know why it boosts their ego but that's one reason they do it.

To the topic, I use Chrome, Firefox, Opera & Safari in that order.

Why is Safari last on my list? I just don't care for it's look & feel. Yet I use it when downloading things from Apple.

85% of my browser usage is Chrome, it's my favorite by a wide margin.

23. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

So you base you assertion in your OP one a single website that is not this one? What is more, many of the comments on the site you linked to are in defense of Chrome. Your "universal haters" include a lot of people who use and support Chrome:rolleyes:

24. GanChan macrumors 6502a

But can't you turn off most of the tracking permissions such as URL prediction, anti-malware, DNS pre-fetching, etc., in the Chrome preferences? It looks like you can opt against the automatic updates too....Seems that those options would alleviate at least some of the anxiety....

My main worry with Chrome is that it's glitched on me twice in the two days I've used it -- once by crashing on a YourTube page, and later by freezing my keyboard while I was typing a Yahoo Mail email (had to save it as a draft and complete it in Safari).