Why do people keep saying X is beta?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thadoggfather, Nov 9, 2017.

1. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

You should definitely void this iPhone XI I'm using, it's only in Alpha ...

:D

2. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

iPhone Xb - 10th anniversary beta edition

:p

/s

3. Speechless macrumors 6502a

Out of all the iPhones I have ever received, the X is the most defined and problem-free device I have owned. For all the new technology it has, I marvel at the fact that it is operating so smoothly. It's like touching a painting. You can literally feel how carefully thought out this device was.

While every iPhone is special in its own way, the X is the reason Apple is the best in the game. It's like using an iPhone for the first time.

4. kawa636r macrumors regular

5. DiveKitty macrumors 6502

Yes, my X and I are celebrating our week-versary (yes, I know that is not a word) and I am still flying high. Love my X.

6. kp98077 macrumors regular

kp98077

Unfortunately, it’s the X haters. And those with 8 + trying to put down the X. There’s a reason the X cost more. Everyone know why - it’s ans overall better device period. Apple is clearly moving toward the X model, not the 8. Next year the 8 will be basically generations behind. That’s just the facts .....

7. sumsingwong macrumors 6502a

sumsingwong

Just because something cost more doesn't make it better. Better is very subjective. A lot of members here returned the X for an 8 or 8+ because they felt that was the better device.

8. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

It all depends on your personal use cases. For me the X is “better” at the things I use my phone for. YMMV.

9. AidenL macrumors 6502

Are the people calling the X beta actually owners or users of the phone?

I own it, it doesn’t feel beta. Owning and using is the only way to make a properly educated judgement. Reading reviews or playing with it in a store isn’t.

In use, for me anyway, the X is flawless. I can only state my own experience, and it’s a good one.

10. zhandri macrumors 6502

no they're not. most of them haven't even touched it and are ranting about face id being crap and inconvenient. can't take those people serious anymore. BUT MUUUUH TOUCH ID

11. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Agree. The X is the culmination of ten years of iPhone design and development. There’s nothing beta about it. It’s a highly refined and mature device. People should be careful about conflating “I don’t like it” with “this thing is half baked.”

12. AidenL macrumors 6502

The way Face ID logs me into websites is bordering on magical. Before I can even register the site is asking for my password, it’s logging me in. It’s damn cool!

I would not go back to Touch ID.

13. kp98077 macrumors regular

kp98077

Generally, if something cost more it’s of better quality. If you think differently you’re fooling yourself. Notices I say generally ....

14. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

Oh yeah? Well I like betas. :mad:

I do notice a lot of people bashing this phone and it makes me laugh. It just reeks of insecurity.

15. JPack macrumors 6502a

JPack

It's beta in the sense that the UI and hardware are first run.

Apple relies on component suppliers and they can fail.

We're a week in and two obvious defects are showing up, both related to the display. Yes, previous iPhones had issues but they didn't show up after 1 week. The cold temperature bug really shows Apple didn't do a lot of environmental testing.

Personally, I would be concerned about the thermal density issues related to the stacked logic board.

Clearly, not everyone gets affected by hardware defects but the probability increases as first run components are used. Am I impressed by my iPhone X purchase? Yes, but that doesn't mean I'm going to ignore it's a new phone and hardware and software issues are more likely.

16. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Scattered issues like that are completely normal when shipping the volume of product Apple does. The maturity or immaturity of the device isn’t relevant to that fact. If we were seeing problems that impacted ALL iPhone Xs, then yeah. But these “issues” can be chalked up to nominal failure rate.

17. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

The only person calling X beta is - you.

18. Tec972, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

Tec972 macrumors regular

Because he is softly admitting that the device is somewhat of a Beta device and rushed out because I believe they DID have more vision for the phone but couldn't get it done in time for its inevitable release, hence the justification I have in my opinion of many other posts.

Their chief design engineer basically alludes to the fact and many of you still can't come to grip and get defensive. LOL!!!

19. sumsingwong macrumors 6502a

sumsingwong

So the X is better quality than an it's predecessors? What exactly is your definition of better quality on the X? Lots of videos show the battery life is better on the 8+ so it can't be the battery because it comes down to how it's used. Can't be the glass because lots of video s and members complaining about scratches on the X and breaking just as easily as other phones. Is it the build? Is it the alloy? Display? Lots of complaints about color shifting and yellowish screens so it can't be that. Touch sensitivity in cold weather? Can't be that because multiple complaints about it. It's not the OLED screen either because Android phones have had those displays for years and I haven't come across complaints about that. I can keep going.

20. kp98077 macrumors regular

kp98077

Insecurity...
    Insecurity...

21. Tec972, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

Tec972 macrumors regular

I have been quite the critic of the iPhone X. I clearly never say it's a piece of crap or face ID is crap. From what I have seen and read based on lots of others comments, I believe it works very well. I have never knocked face ID. But what I have said is basically Face ID is the only innovative thing about this phone. It is still a boring iPhone apart from Face ID.

While I have been waiting YEARS for Apple to bring OLED, they have done it with that damn notch in a form factor I do not prefer. I will stick with my proper 1920x1080 aspect ratio for now.

I really wished the iPhone X was given some more current stuff for 2017. Especially USB-C and a fast charger in the box. 2017 and no USB3? Faster wireless charging, IP68, Sapphire screen like should have been in iPhone 6, headphone jack (but knew that wouldn't happen). Better microphone in the phone and no INTEL MODEM. OMG. That thing is bargain bin garbage. THERE IS A LOT THAT IS SAME OLD SAME OLD, AND NOT FLAGSHIP OR CADILLAC MODEL TO MAKE IT BETTER THAN ANYTHING OUT THERE.

If it had that stuff I would be the first one in line plunking down $1149 for it. But I'm a pass on this device unless my 7+ must be replaced.

I could afford one with no problem but choose not to buy. Apple didn't do enough to hit the 1k barrier. My only complaint is so many jumped on this and reinforced the water they were treading with this price point.

I am happy for those that enjoy their phones, but aside from Face ID, not much is new here, and if they have truly been working on this for 5 years..... OMG disappointing!!!! Because it still feels rushed and could have some better components.

22. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Hogwash. Have you read the whole interview? What he was saying is that the iPhone X is distinct as a platform from the iPhone 6/7/8, not that it’s unfinished or half baked. His point is that it’s designed as 1) a springboard for software development and 2) a base from which to evolve the next ten years of Apple products.

I said this in a different thread. This phone seems like the first truly post-Steve Jobs iPhone. Instead of being an evolution of the Jobs era phones, it’s a lot more akin to the Tim Cook Apple Watch. And that’s a serious departure in overall concept and approach, all of which is reflected in the design and the iOS 11 interface.

23. sumsingwong macrumors 6502a

sumsingwong

No explanation of your so called better quality? Try to be objective. Not subjective. I'll wait.

24. ZipZap macrumors 601

No, I am an X owner. But I stand behind my earlier comments.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2017 ---
    Ok, it s a refined beta.

25. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

I can only speak for myself, but I think the updated design, better build, OLED screen, 120hz touch input, TrueDepth camera system, and gesture based UI are all worth the cost of the X vs the 7/8. All of these make using the X a very different / better experience than what I have been used to since 2007. In regards to the issues you speak of. I haven't had any of them but... the screen being easier to scratch? I have seen the opposite as I am not getting the micro scratches my 7 Plus did. Color shifting is normal with OLED's and is not a problem during normal use (displaymate recently said the X was the best display in a phone ever, definitely value there). The cold weather thing is something I can't speak to, but it seems to be a software issue since Apple is going to release a fix for it. There's also a number of complaints about issues with the 8 in threads, but I don't feel it's a widespread issue or makes it a bad phone choice. I'd suggest actually using the X if you haven't. It's been perfect for a lot of people and has been completely worth the money.