Why do people keep saying X is beta?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thadoggfather, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Tec972 macrumors regular

As I've said aside from face ID there is nothing really innovative about this phone. There is really nothing the other phone makers haven't been doing for years.

Well I don't disagree its the first true redesign they have had in a long time. Remeber the 6+ brought us a bigger screen thats about it. It was still not much of a departure from the phones before it.

As I have said in other threads, as far as Apple being innovative and leading the charge, if this phone came out 2-3 years ago I may have been impressed. Aside from Face ID, theres nothing others haven't done and haven't done better. This device has much maturing to do.

2. Thierry ba macrumors 6502a

I don't think so.

3. zhandri macrumors 6502

thinking is not knowing. you should probably atleast try one before talking crap

4. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

The gesture based UI with the 120hz touch input is a big improvement. Biggest change for me since 2007, besides retina screens. Really changes iOS.

5. kp98077 macrumors regular

kp98077

Alllllll of your post are only opinion - I’m sure most will agree. Pure conjecture-

6. Thierry ba macrumors 6502a

Tried it yesterday. Sorry but thats nowhere near 'mature product'.

7. Tec972 macrumors regular

Gesture based UI has been around. We as iPhone users have just been starved of more updated tech in phones. As for 120Hz, I don't know if other phones have that or not. I have no doubt what you say about improving the experience. I've never had a problem before though, just as face ID may be a better experience but I never have a problem unlocking my phone.

I do wish they would speed up many animations to make the phones feel instantaneous, but thats an iOS deal.

8. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

Well they have never been on an iPhone and that's my and many others on here, platform of choice. I am not sure why any of it has to be compared to other phones out there, this is new for the iPhone, and it's a big step forward for me and others who are enjoying the X. To be honest, everything is much more fluid and smooth due to the 120hz touch input and gestures. I suggest giving it a try if you haven't.

9. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

10. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Apple has ALWAYS trailed the market. Pay attention.

11. Tec972 macrumors regular

To this I would say that many other phones weren't $1k and managed to put much newer technology in their phones for the last few years. Apple charges an awful lot.

I just think it's kind of crummy that Apple is just starting to catch up, and charges more than anyone else. The closest phone in price point is a note 8 and that phone can really do more except lacks True Depth. Unfortunately it's on android. The hardware in that device is very good and has quite a few things the iPhone doesn't. I would still say it has a better screen, higher res and larger screen, regardless of what Displaymate said. No notch, IP68, USB C WITH fast-charge in the box (OMG what a concept) the S-Pen and more function for serious users. Much higher levels of customization, and a headphone jack. I'm sure I'm missing some stuff too. If an iPhone could do what that phone did they would charge $1500 because they're arrogant and fools would pay it.

I have just alway been of the opinion that apple is very arrogant. Galaxy phones have had much more updated components and always been cheaper than iPhone's that were running 3 and 4 year old technology. It's just a shame they use android which has gotten better but somewhat of a mess.

I just hate the fact that I tied myself to ecosystems that haven't matured as fast as their competitors. I feel the same way being locked in Canon's ecosystem. OMG!!! Underwhelming sensors and cameras everytime they release new equipment as their competition leaves them behind. The common thing between those two companies is they masterfully slow roll your wallet to death with incremental changes as to carefully not cannibalize other things in their product lines and I detest that!!! Apple and Canon do it best. So you actually get reliable stuff but not as good as their competition.

And most importantly not as much value for the money, because they are greedy and retain the highest margins instead of returning some of that value to loyalists. They actually exploit them opposed to throwing them a bone.

12. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Good thing you spent a lot of time with it before forming an opinion.

13. Tec972 macrumors regular

Um, am paying attention, thats all I've been talking about just about every post.

14. DiveKitty macrumors 6502

I see he has an iPhone 7+. I spent about 10 minutes playing with a iPhone 7+ in a Best Buy once. I definitely feel like I can tell everyone else who owns a 7+ about how their own experience with their phone is invalid due to my vastly superior and detailed experience. /s

15. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Most people will say this about first edition stuff. I am prone to agreeing because I no longer am an early adopter myself due to experiences.

16. eyeseeyou, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

Somewhat agree. The weird quirks and UX inconsistencies of iOS 11 alone already are not a reflection of a mature product regardless of which model.

17. urkel macrumors 68030

Lets be honest here. When was the last time we saw an Apple Product that required instructions?

I've never called the iPhone X a "Beta Product". But I dont see a problem with people calling out the X for not being a fully thought out or "finished" product. Its entire existence seems to be based on "We gotta do something different" rather than any natural evolution in design or UI.

i own an X. Its not a bad phone but its also not a great phone. Its just an iPhone that unnecessarily got a nosejob.

18. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

That was part of my point, is that iOS 11 wonkiness isn’t specific to X haha so in that regard, its beta title for that isnt fair imo

10.3.x im positive feels more mature than 11.1 on ANY iPhone

Thats the nature of software development, and restarting the cycle with major updates. We’re so painfully familiar with this part of it.

19. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

It isn’t a bad thing.

20. DiveKitty macrumors 6502

That is a straw man, in my opinion. It is a total new redesign (i.e. lack of a home button) from what has been there for the last few generations. They have not needed to provide instructions for the last few generations because the basic design was the same (home button, power button, etc) and they assume that by now most people are rather familiar with it. It makes sense for the X to include a little leaflet with a new redesign, and a new method of interacting with the phone, to say "hey, we have Face ID now...and here is how to power off since hey, there is no longer a home button". Do you think anyone after reading that tiny leaflet has had to go back and check it over in detail because they got confused? I bet in a generation or two, there will be no instructions anymore, until the next major redesign in a few years.

21. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

If we are going to talk about a product that required instructions, But doesnt even have them upon starting the device, its the Apple Watch

There was quite a learning curve, coming from no Apple Watch prior, to the average person

It was not iPhone-level intuitive and criticized for that widely when it first came out

I agree I wouldn’t say a few gestures needing to be learned, because of physical differences, was any big deal.

Then again, ive been swiping up for 5-6 years on jailbroken devices so

I’m not really impartial

22. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Real Simple.

1) Some may call it beta, because it doesn't have the design that said people expected.
    2) Some may call it beta, because the implementation of hardware to software is not bug-free and smooth in every aspect.
    3) Some may call it beta, because Apple didn't do everything exactly as said user(s) expected, including the buying process.
    4) Some may call it beta, because they are jaded for some reason, and have nothing better to do with their personal time, than complain on MR about every single thing, acting as if they have the answers and capability of solving the issues that Apple hasn't addressed either through ignorance or laziness.
    5) Some may call it beta, because they need the attention on the forum or with friends. And as far as they are concerned, negative attention is better than no attention at all. That is why you see so many illogical, emotional hyperbole threads and posts on this forum.

23. california_kid macrumors regular

You know, this reminds me of something from high school. My parents were going away for a week so I decided to have a secret party at my house. I spread the news by word of mouth to only my friends and was ok if they invited a few other folks. By lunch time, a student I never met before came up to me and invited me to my own party.

24. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

There are a lot of threads discussing iphone x model specific issues. Issues that are supposed to be caught and or resolved in beta or testing stages.

Iphone x public beta lol.

That being said.... none of these issues are obviously dealbreakers.

25. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

(Walks into this thread) (turns around and walks out of the the room.) (Door slam)