Why don't you like the 5c?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPodJedi, Dec 11, 2013.

?

Why don't you like the 5c

1. A. The plastic

22.2%
  2. B. iOS7

3.7%
  3. C. it's old tech (same as 5)

35.2%
  4. D. Price

25.3%
  5. E. Color

20.4%
  6. F.No touch ID

22.2%
  7. G. I do like the 5c

32.1%
  8. H. All answers above but Answer G

5.6%
  9. Other...explain

6.8%
  1. iPodJedi, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013

iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

Why don't you like the 5c? I love my blue 5c and prefer it to the 5 design...
    BTW THIS IS A MULTIPLE CHOICE POLL: VOTE FOR MULTIPLE ANSWERS
    http://www.macrumors.com/2013/12/16/qualcomm-employee-64-bit-a7-chip-hit-us-in-the-gut/
    Read this mac rumors story and see y the a7 isn't that different from or stronger than a6 chip.

A quote by me from another thread...

2. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

You opened it up with this thread... All the haters will be here...

I love the 5c btw, but be prepared for this thread to get closed lol

3. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

it's stupid to pay 550$ a 1 year old piece of tech.... more stupid to be locked in a 2 year contract saving 100 and getting an old model instead of the latest...simply no?

4. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

this.

its the value that i have issues with. its just too expensive for what it is.

and ya, the plastic is just too glossy and cheesy for my taste. if it were something similar to the nexus 5 or moto x i wouldn't mind it.

5. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

to a lot of people $100 is a lot of money. Also many places are selling the 5C heavily discounted. Walmart is going to offer it for $27 on a 2 year contract. Reports have come in the majority of 5C owners are either elderly people who can't afford fancy smartphones or users switching from android who don't need the newest and best.

Come to think of it most android users are those who don't need the newest and best :) just look at that fragmentation lol.

6. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

most people don't need the newest and best.

did you really need a fingerprint sensor? did you really need a 64-bit processor?

apple does not make low and mid range phones people on a budget can only chose android..

and i can't believe i am explaining this.. :rolleyes:

7. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

If $100 is a "lot" of money, than anything Apple isn't for that person, period. It's not a lot of money, it may not be free cash to many, but it's still not a lot of money in the grand scale of things, as it doesn't get you much in today's world!

I like the 5c, I have a 5s because I wanted the latest iPhone and the c model just wasn't appealing enough at the price it was (in the UK at least).

8. jenneymac macrumors newbie

jenneymac

i like iPhone 5S but like iPhone 5C more because of price and colors.

9. Jynto macrumors 6502

Jynto

My reasons for not liking the 5C are a little different. I don't see it as a product, but a promotional tool. It made me a little sick in the mouth to see how Apple were basically selling it as a new product, when it is nothing more than an existing product in a plastic casing. If you can make it through this video without wanting to punch Sir Ive in the face, then you and I think different.

Some of the adjectives he uses to describe it are mind-numbingly stupid.

The only one that's objectively true is 'more colourful'. Simpler? Yes, I suppose, but only in an aesthetic sense. More essential?? That doesn't even mean anything. Capable??? In what way is the 5C more capable than the 5? They run the same software, and have the same hardware where it matters. Do not even suggest that he was referring to the larger battery and more LTE bands. Nobody cares about those things. People only care about 'OOH, COLOURS!'

The next set adjectives are a bit later in the video. These are largely referring to the iOS 7 firmware (which is a topic for another day), but here they are being advertised as strengths of the iPhone 5C, which is wrong. iOS 7 is not a unique selling point of the 5C because the iPhone 5, for better or for worse, gets it as well.

The iPhone 5C is sold on nothing but empty rhetoric.

10. eyoungren, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Other than the things mentioned already (color, iOS 7, plastic, etc) my main dislike of the 5c stems quite a bit from the dislike of the 4 and the 4s and what I see as a betrayal by Apple.

The iPhone 5 was my first iPhone. I saved a portion of our tax refund for about eight months in order to get it. Metal, black, everything I wanted.

I hate the 4 and the 4s with a passion. I waited a year for Sprint to get the iPhone 5 because the first iPhone they get when they finally get the iPhone are these two models I don't like!

I expected Apple to shift the iPhone 5 down in price as a lesser model this year just like the did with the 4 when the 4s came out and just like they did with the 4s when the 5 came out.

I did NOT expect them to do this, wrap the metal 5 in a new plastic case, make it look fugly with uninteresting colors (and NO BLACK) and then upgrade the internals a bit! Nor did I expect Apple to market it as NEW!

And insult to injury, the iPhone 4s was given another year of life!!!

So what this tells me is that Apple values the 4s more than the iPhone 5, which was it's flagship for a year. I resent that because I see the iPhone 5 as the superior model to the 4 and the 4s. But Apple apparently thinks the iPhone 5 wasn't good enough to leave alone, but the inferior 4 and 4s was.

All of this is what I feel. The reality is that Apple had issues with the annodization of the iPhone 5, so turning it into the 5c and reducing the cost to build it by using inferior plastic, made sense to them. Despite the fact that I hate the 4 and the 4s, the world still seems to love these phones (I have no idea why) and Apple still makes money from them, so keeping the 4s around still makes Apple money.

Apple is a business and like any business, exists solely for the purpose of making it's stockholders money. So, my feelings are irrelevant to Apple's bottom line.

I will make my obligatory statement here that I don't look down on anyone who likes or wants the 5c (or the 4 and 4s). It's just that these phones are not for me. I like my iPhone 5. I did NOT get the 5s because Apple chose not to have one in black this year. Major dealbreaker for me.

However, as I have said in one other thread, when Apple finally kills off the 4 and the 4s - I will dance a jig on their graves!

11. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I dislike the 5c because it has year old hardware and it took the price slot that, in my opinion, should have been occupied by the 5.

Just out of curiosity, why? The 4 did suck, but the 4s is a great phone.

12. Thierry ba, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013

Thierry ba macrumors 6502a

The iPhone 5C have better build quality than the iPhone5/5S.

13. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Yep, and the last solidly built phone by Apple.

14. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

Pretty much hit the nail right on the read....

15. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

My main issue with the 4/4s is that stainless steel band around the entire phone. In the case of the black 4 and 4s it essentially ruins what is a solid black phone.

It's thick, short and the glass on the back has a bad habit of breaking. Where I live, I have seen more people using the 4 and the 4s with cracked rear glass than I have without. Three of the people I work with being exceptions.

Then…a lot of people decided to use bumpers on these phones. I realize that there was antennagate, but a lot of those people decided that it would be just awesome to put their 4 or 4s in a neon bumper. That drives me almost insane it's so ugly (to me). Or, people put them in Otterbox cases (which is another thing I dislike, cases). Now, you've taken a phone I already dislike and you've put it in a case where no one can even tell it's an iPhone.

My iPhone 5 is solid black. All the way around. And it's thin and the back is metal, not glass. And I am apparently an exception because the build quality on my iPhone 5 has been phenomenal!

Again, just my opinion.

----------

See my earlier statement. My iPhone 5 is solidly built and has done very well. I have normal wear and tear for being a year in, but no scratches and no serious damage.

Nicks here and there yes (my fault, most of them) but no dents or anything like that.

16. Thierry ba macrumors 6502a

No way that the iPhone5 can compare to the 4S in terms of build quality. The 4S can be in mint condition without a scratch even if it is 2 or 3 years old, which is mission impossible with the iPhone5.

17. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

All I can say is what I have. I'm happy with it. Others may not be, but the iPhone 5 has done just fine for me.

On the other hand I don't sell my phones. So, it's not important to me that my iPhone 5 look like it just came out of the box on launch day five years from now.

18. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

The 5 and 5c offered nothing to make me want to upgrade to from my 4s. My 4s was/is a great phone however my 5s rocks. It's lighting fast and the figure print scanner has been very handy.

The 5c is for those who had to have colors over tech, the 5s is for those who want tech over colors. It's a choice and I for one am glad Apple offers me this choice.

19. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I wish the 5C color choices were something other than pee yellow; lisa frank pink, blue, or green; or dirty panda white.

I'm all for colors, but I wish they had some darker tones. Midnight Blue maybe?

20. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

The 5c is a great phone but im not digging the colors.

21. CEmajr macrumors 601

I dislike it for the build quality, pricing (based off the specs and build quality), and the colors.

If it were cheaper like $350-400 no contract, then I would think it was a good idea. But I personally would never buy one when Apple offers a superior model in the 5S for only $100 more. If they offered some darker more professional colors such as black, navy blue, etc, and for $100 less than what it costs now, then I could see where it would be viable from a consumer perspective.

From Apple's business perspective, it's more profitable at $500 than the 5 would have been so I applaud them for that. It's genius.

22. macigo macrumors regular

It should've come with A7. On top of that people already dislike plastic products, so they already knew they would have to do more work to get those to sell.

23. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Why do you need justification for your purchase? You like it, that's all it matters. Very stressful living by other's people taste.

24. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Why I dislike the 5c

The plastic is what bugs me. Look at the iPhone 3G. They were plastic housed. I'm guessing in 1 or 2 years, there will be a crack by the charging port on the 5c, just like the 3G. There will be major cracks and easily noticeable scratches, like the 3G. Other than those 2 things, I like it. (To tell you the truth, I'd rather have an original iPhone 5 then a 5C.)
    BUT, who said selection is bad? Good job Apple. No, really.:)

25. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

The WORST part of the iPhone 5C are the people that won't shut up about it.

The phone is fine.

No one complained like this when the 4S, 4, or 3GS were priced at $549.

Apple decides to fix up and improve the iPhone 5, and suddenly $549 is too much?