Why don't you like the 5c?

Why don't you like the 5c

• Total voters

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
Why don't you like the 5c? I love my blue 5c and prefer it to the 5 design...
BTW THIS IS A MULTIPLE CHOICE POLL: VOTE FOR MULTIPLE ANSWERS
https://www.macrumors.com/2013/12/16/qualcomm-employee-64-bit-a7-chip-hit-us-in-the-gut/
Read this mac rumors story and see y the a7 isn't that different from or stronger than a6 chip.

A quote by me from another thread...
I think means that normally he buys an iPhone then he sees an android a few days later and thinks that is cooler than his new iPhone. But now he thinks his iPhone 5c is better than all those android phones he would normally like...

Stop bashing 5c owners...some people just like the 5c for color and design... U 5s owners just brag and keep on bashing us 5c users saying we are too poor to own a 5s and because it is plastic it is automatically a bad phone... GUESS WHAT SHERLOCK...the 1st 3 iPhones were all plastic and nobody complained about that...most people can afford the 5s; chances are if your buying any smart phone with data u have the wallet to buy a 5s. Some people just prefer it better for the color and design... Who cares about a finger scanner. It isn't even new tech: they use them at Disneyland when you enter in. It just gets old after about a week and it doesn't even work 50% of the time.
5C nicest Apple product ever owned. I've realised it's this first phone when I haven't even been slightly tempted to buy some new android phone for while. And I agree, I got the blue but would have effing loved navy.

----------

Feels nicer than the 5S to hold and use. The price difference between the two is pretty much irrelevant to anybody getting an expensive phone so obviously a lot of people prefer the 5C build quality.

Slickest iphone in years.
It's not like it is real gold, it is like little pieces of glitter under the glass, any 2 year old knows how to use glitter

Last edited:

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
Why don't you like the 5c? I love my blue 5c and prefer it to the 5 design...
You opened it up with this thread... All the haters will be here...

I love the 5c btw, but be prepared for this thread to get closed lol

srsub3

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2013
NYC
it's stupid to pay 550$ a 1 year old piece of tech.... more stupid to be locked in a 2 year contract saving 100 and getting an old model instead of the latest...simply no?

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
it's stupid to pay 550$ a 1 year old piece of tech.... more stupid to be locked in a 2 year contract saving 100 and getting an old model instead of the latest...simply no?
this.

its the value that i have issues with. its just too expensive for what it is.

and ya, the plastic is just too glossy and cheesy for my taste. if it were something similar to the nexus 5 or moto x i wouldn't mind it.

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
to a lot of people $100 is a lot of money. Also many places are selling the 5C heavily discounted. Walmart is going to offer it for $27 on a 2 year contract. Reports have come in the majority of 5C owners are either elderly people who can't afford fancy smartphones or users switching from android who don't need the newest and best.

Come to think of it most android users are those who don't need the newest and best :) just look at that fragmentation lol.

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
Come to think of it most android users are those who don't need the newest and best :) just look at that fragmentation lol.

most people don't need the newest and best.

did you really need a fingerprint sensor? did you really need a 64-bit processor?

apple does not make low and mid range phones people on a budget can only chose android..

and i can't believe i am explaining this.. :rolleyes:

oVerboost

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
If $100 is a "lot" of money, than anything Apple isn't for that person, period. It's not a lot of money, it may not be free cash to many, but it's still not a lot of money in the grand scale of things, as it doesn't get you much in today's world!

I like the 5c, I have a 5s because I wanted the latest iPhone and the c model just wasn't appealing enough at the price it was (in the UK at least).

Jynto

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2012
Nottingham, UK
My reasons for not liking the 5C are a little different. I don't see it as a product, but a promotional tool. It made me a little sick in the mouth to see how Apple were basically selling it as a new product, when it is nothing more than an existing product in a plastic casing. If you can make it through this video without wanting to punch Sir Ive in the face, then you and I think different.

Some of the adjectives he uses to describe it are mind-numbingly stupid.

Jony Ive said:
It's simpler, more essential, yet it's more capable, and certainly more colourful.
The only one that's objectively true is 'more colourful'. Simpler? Yes, I suppose, but only in an aesthetic sense. More essential?? That doesn't even mean anything. Capable??? In what way is the 5C more capable than the 5? They run the same software, and have the same hardware where it matters. Do not even suggest that he was referring to the larger battery and more LTE bands. Nobody cares about those things. People only care about 'OOH, COLOURS!'

Jony Ive said:
More powerful, more intuitive, and ultimately more useful.
The next set adjectives are a bit later in the video. These are largely referring to the iOS 7 firmware (which is a topic for another day), but here they are being advertised as strengths of the iPhone 5C, which is wrong. iOS 7 is not a unique selling point of the 5C because the iPhone 5, for better or for worse, gets it as well.

The iPhone 5C is sold on nothing but empty rhetoric.

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Other than the things mentioned already (color, iOS 7, plastic, etc) my main dislike of the 5c stems quite a bit from the dislike of the 4 and the 4s and what I see as a betrayal by Apple.

The iPhone 5 was my first iPhone. I saved a portion of our tax refund for about eight months in order to get it. Metal, black, everything I wanted.

I hate the 4 and the 4s with a passion. I waited a year for Sprint to get the iPhone 5 because the first iPhone they get when they finally get the iPhone are these two models I don't like!

I expected Apple to shift the iPhone 5 down in price as a lesser model this year just like the did with the 4 when the 4s came out and just like they did with the 4s when the 5 came out.

I did NOT expect them to do this, wrap the metal 5 in a new plastic case, make it look fugly with uninteresting colors (and NO BLACK) and then upgrade the internals a bit! Nor did I expect Apple to market it as NEW!

And insult to injury, the iPhone 4s was given another year of life!!!

So what this tells me is that Apple values the 4s more than the iPhone 5, which was it's flagship for a year. I resent that because I see the iPhone 5 as the superior model to the 4 and the 4s. But Apple apparently thinks the iPhone 5 wasn't good enough to leave alone, but the inferior 4 and 4s was.

All of this is what I feel. The reality is that Apple had issues with the annodization of the iPhone 5, so turning it into the 5c and reducing the cost to build it by using inferior plastic, made sense to them. Despite the fact that I hate the 4 and the 4s, the world still seems to love these phones (I have no idea why) and Apple still makes money from them, so keeping the 4s around still makes Apple money.

Apple is a business and like any business, exists solely for the purpose of making it's stockholders money. So, my feelings are irrelevant to Apple's bottom line.

I will make my obligatory statement here that I don't look down on anyone who likes or wants the 5c (or the 4 and 4s). It's just that these phones are not for me. I like my iPhone 5. I did NOT get the 5s because Apple chose not to have one in black this year. Major dealbreaker for me.

However, as I have said in one other thread, when Apple finally kills off the 4 and the 4s - I will dance a jig on their graves!

Last edited:

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I dislike the 5c because it has year old hardware and it took the price slot that, in my opinion, should have been occupied by the 5.

I hate the 4 and the 4s with a passion.
Just out of curiosity, why? The 4 did suck, but the 4s is a great phone.

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
I dislike the 5c because it has year old hardware and it took the price slot that, in my opinion, should have been occupied by the 5.

Just out of curiosity, why? The 4 did suck, but the 4s is a great phone.
My main issue with the 4/4s is that stainless steel band around the entire phone. In the case of the black 4 and 4s it essentially ruins what is a solid black phone.

It's thick, short and the glass on the back has a bad habit of breaking. Where I live, I have seen more people using the 4 and the 4s with cracked rear glass than I have without. Three of the people I work with being exceptions.

Then…a lot of people decided to use bumpers on these phones. I realize that there was antennagate, but a lot of those people decided that it would be just awesome to put their 4 or 4s in a neon bumper. That drives me almost insane it's so ugly (to me). Or, people put them in Otterbox cases (which is another thing I dislike, cases). Now, you've taken a phone I already dislike and you've put it in a case where no one can even tell it's an iPhone.

My iPhone 5 is solid black. All the way around. And it's thin and the back is metal, not glass. And I am apparently an exception because the build quality on my iPhone 5 has been phenomenal!

Again, just my opinion.

----------

Yep, and the last solidly built phone by Apple.
See my earlier statement. My iPhone 5 is solidly built and has done very well. I have normal wear and tear for being a year in, but no scratches and no serious damage.

Nicks here and there yes (my fault, most of them) but no dents or anything like that.

Thierry ba

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012
Sarajevo, Bosnia
No way that the iPhone5 can compare to the 4S in terms of build quality. The 4S can be in mint condition without a scratch even if it is 2 or 3 years old, which is mission impossible with the iPhone5.

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
No way that the iPhone5 can compare to the 4S in terms of build quality. The 4S can be in mint condition without a scratch even if it is 2 or 3 years old, which is mission impossible with the iPhone5.
All I can say is what I have. I'm happy with it. Others may not be, but the iPhone 5 has done just fine for me.

On the other hand I don't sell my phones. So, it's not important to me that my iPhone 5 look like it just came out of the box on launch day five years from now.

Jesla

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2013
Tennessee USA
The 5 and 5c offered nothing to make me want to upgrade to from my 4s. My 4s was/is a great phone however my 5s rocks. It's lighting fast and the figure print scanner has been very handy.

The 5c is for those who had to have colors over tech, the 5s is for those who want tech over colors. It's a choice and I for one am glad Apple offers me this choice.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Europe
I wish the 5C color choices were something other than pee yellow; lisa frank pink, blue, or green; or dirty panda white.

I'm all for colors, but I wish they had some darker tones. Midnight Blue maybe?

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I dislike it for the build quality, pricing (based off the specs and build quality), and the colors.

If it were cheaper like $350-400 no contract, then I would think it was a good idea. But I personally would never buy one when Apple offers a superior model in the 5S for only $100 more. If they offered some darker more professional colors such as black, navy blue, etc, and for $100 less than what it costs now, then I could see where it would be viable from a consumer perspective.

From Apple's business perspective, it's more profitable at $500 than the 5 would have been so I applaud them for that. It's genius.

macigo

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2013
It should've come with A7. On top of that people already dislike plastic products, so they already knew they would have to do more work to get those to sell.

Mrbobb

macrumors 601
Aug 27, 2012
Why do you need justification for your purchase? You like it, that's all it matters. Very stressful living by other's people taste.

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
Why I dislike the 5c

The plastic is what bugs me. Look at the iPhone 3G. They were plastic housed. I'm guessing in 1 or 2 years, there will be a crack by the charging port on the 5c, just like the 3G. There will be major cracks and easily noticeable scratches, like the 3G. Other than those 2 things, I like it. (To tell you the truth, I'd rather have an original iPhone 5 then a 5C.)
BUT, who said selection is bad? Good job Apple. No, really.:)

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
The WORST part of the iPhone 5C are the people that won't shut up about it.

The phone is fine.

No one complained like this when the 4S, 4, or 3GS were priced at $549.

Apple decides to fix up and improve the iPhone 5, and suddenly $549 is too much?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.