Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Why don't you like the 5c

• Total voters

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Apple decides to fix up and improve the iPhone 5…
Uhm…that's a matter of opinion.

Apple decided to take the iPhone 5 out of it's metal case, place it in a colored plastic case, goose the internals a bit and call it a new phone. Then they advertised plastic as premium.

I don't see any of that other than the slight improvement in the internals as improving the iPhone 5.

There IS an iPhone that was an improvement on the iPhone 5 and it was released at the same time the 5c was. Hint…it's still in a metal case!

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
As a low priced option, I see no fault with the 5C! Still a damn fine phone for those that need a slight price break from the 5S' pricetag.

Have you seen the second hand prices? They are at $300-$400 for 16gb models, thats where I see the value (if you do not mind buying a slightly used phone)

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
For me, the plastic material and the pricing. While being in NYC back in October, I found brand new, sealed iPhone 5 16GBs to be found for around $450. It is simply beyond me, why anyone would choose a plastic model of the same phone, for $549?! That's an additional $100, for using a plastic phone rather than a phone made from metal...

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
The WORST part of the iPhone 5C are the people that won't shut up about it.

The phone is fine.

No one complained like this when the 4S, 4, or 3GS were priced at $549.

Apple decides to fix up and improve the iPhone 5, and suddenly $549 is too much?

This I agree with 100%. It's like a damn civil war for no damn reason. It got old after a month. Now after almost 3 months it's just ridiculous already.

The 5c has served it's purpose ... 50% of it's purchasers came from Android. It's broadened the iOS ecosystem. The "C" model isn't going anywhere so it would probably be best for people to shut up about it.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
My vote:

A. The plastic
C. it's old tech (same as 5)
D. Price
F.No touch ID
G. I do like the 5c

:apple:

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Apple decides to fix up and improve the iPhone 5, and suddenly $549 is too much?

It's not that $549 is TOO much, it's more that for only a bit more money you can get much more phone.

Would you eat a meal at McDonald's for $10 if a steak dinner was $13? Some people would because they literally only have $10 to spend and that extra $13 would be more than they have in their wallet. Some people don't like steak. That's cool. But if you have the extra $3 and you're looking for the best dining experience you can get, then you get a much better deal for a little bit more money.

macigo

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2013
for only a bit more money you can get much more phone.

Not really.

performance_a7_cpu.png

perf_cpu.png

Think about it, the new iPhone is only 2x faster than the iPhone 5c.

But the iPhone 5c and 5s are both 40x faster than the original iPhone.

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
For some, not all, it's not "elite" enough for the snobs who use the tech they carry as some kind of "badge" that says "Look at me".

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I'd be fine with the "old tech" if it was priced accordingly.
I don't care for the colors too much, but that isn't why I wouldn't be interested in it.

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
I'd be fine with the "old tech" if it was priced accordingly.
I don't care for the colors too much, but that isn't why I wouldn't be interested in it.

Thing is though, it's the exact same price point that the exact same tech would have always been if Apple had followed years of normal practice and just dropped the iPhone 5 down a SKU.

boobie12

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Thing is though, it's the exact same price point that the exact same tech would have always been if Apple had followed years of normal practice and just dropped the iPhone 5 down a SKU.
Yea I feel like people don't understand this. Even if they kept the 5 it would've been the same price. I guess people are just complaining because the rumored said it would be cheap.

Rob H.

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2013
I've had mine for about six weeks now and still love it. Its in-hand feel is much nicer than that of the 5s, imo.

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
most people don't need the newest and best.

did you really need a fingerprint sensor? did you really need a 64-bit processor?

apple does not make low and mid range phones people on a budget can only chose android..

and i can't believe i am explaining this.. :rolleyes:

apple does and can cater to lower cost markets. Look at iPod mini/nano/shuffle. Look at iBook/Macbook; etc.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
Other than the things mentioned already (color, iOS 7, plastic, etc) my main dislike of the 5c stems quite a bit from the dislike of the 4 and the 4s and what I see as a betrayal by Apple.

The iPhone 5 was my first iPhone. I saved a portion of our tax refund for about eight months in order to get it. Metal, black, everything I wanted.

I hate the 4 and the 4s with a passion. I waited a year for Sprint to get the iPhone 5 because the first iPhone they get when they finally get the iPhone are these two models I don't like!

I expected Apple to shift the iPhone 5 down in price as a lesser model this year just like the did with the 4 when the 4s came out and just like they did with the 4s when the 5 came out.

I did NOT expect them to do this, wrap the metal 5 in a new plastic case, make it look fugly with uninteresting colors (and NO BLACK) and then upgrade the internals a bit! Nor did I expect Apple to market it as NEW!

And insult to injury, the iPhone 4s was given another year of life!!!

So what this tells me is that Apple values the 4s more than the iPhone 5, which was it's flagship for a year. I resent that because I see the iPhone 5 as the superior model to the 4 and the 4s. But Apple apparently thinks the iPhone 5 wasn't good enough to leave alone, but the inferior 4 and 4s was.

All of this is what I feel. The reality is that Apple had issues with the annodization of the iPhone 5, so turning it into the 5c and reducing the cost to build it by using inferior plastic, made sense to them. Despite the fact that I hate the 4 and the 4s, the world still seems to love these phones (I have no idea why) and Apple still makes money from them, so keeping the 4s around still makes Apple money.

Apple is a business and like any business, exists solely for the purpose of making it's stockholders money. So, my feelings are irrelevant to Apple's bottom line.

I will make my obligatory statement here that I don't look down on anyone who likes or wants the 5c (or the 4 and 4s). It's just that these phones are not for me. I like my iPhone 5. I did NOT get the 5s because Apple chose not to have one in black this year. Major dealbreaker for me.

However, as I have said in one other thread, when Apple finally kills off the 4 and the 4s - I will dance a jig on their graves!

I guess I never thought of it that way...
People were waiting for the 5 to become cheaper but now a "cheaper" 5c has come along so they can't get the premium look of the 5/5s for less money...

Good point.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I guess I never thought of it that way...
People were waiting for the 5 to become cheaper but now a "cheaper" 5c has come along so they can't get the premium look of the 5/5s for less money...

Good point.
Yeah, part of the reason there is no black 5s is still because of the annodization process. The three colors Apple has for the 5s it can make money off of while still annodzing the aluminum. But, it can't make money of the 5 and continue with the same process AND sell the 5s at the same time. The profit just isn't there in continuing the 5 as it was. And I don't think Touch ID was such an advanced feature that having it in the 5s would have prevented the 5 from scavenging sales of the 5s.

I get that. Again, Apple is a business, so I understand WHY they did what they did. A plastic case is much cheaper. But it doesn't mean I like the fact that my particular model of iPhone, the very first I ever bought, had only one year in the spotlight and then was consigned to the dustbin of discontinued models. It particularly rankles because that was not done to the 4s instead of the 5.

So, yeah, I have a chip on my shoulder with the 5c. It doesn't make the 5c a bad phone, I just don't care for it.

Last edited:

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
apple does and can cater to lower cost markets. Look at iPod mini/nano/shuffle. Look at iBook/Macbook; etc.

i repeat:

apple does not make low and mid range phones people on a budget can only chose android..

if you have an ipod mini/nano/shuffle that makes phone calls please share.

and this theory of yours then throws by the board your previous assertion that most "android users don't need the newest and best", because these products you mention sold like hot cakes.

try again?

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Stylistically I actually prefer 5c over 5s for the most part. But 3 issues made me get 5s for my wife:
  • Old tech (A6 instead of A7, no M7, no auto image stabilization, smart burst mode, and slow motion on camera)
  • No Touch ID
  • Black front face (most color combinations would look better with a white face)
Having said that, 5c just feels better in my hand than 5s. But 5c just photographs poorly. In person, I think many people are and will be surprised.

thegrants82

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Right here
Stylistically I actually prefer 5c over 5s for the most part. But 3 issues made me get 5s for my wife:
  • Old tech (A6 instead of A7, no M7, no auto image stabilization, smart burst mode, and slow motion on camera)
  • No Touch ID
  • Black front face (most color combinations would look better with a white face)
Having said that, 5c just feels better in my hand than 5s. But 5c just photographs poorly. In person, I think many people are and will be surprised.

Agreed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.