Why I don't like iMessage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lifeguard, Jun 13, 2011.

1. lifeguard macrumors 6502

lifeguard

Since you can’t receive emails or other data notifications while on a phone call what happens when someone sends you an iMessage? Will the message revert back to the standard “text” and be notified right away or will it just stay in a cue of some sort and come thru once you hang up the phone call? Has anyone tried this?

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

chances are it gets held on Apple servers waiting to be delivered. This is of course unless you are on Wifi then iMessage would be going threw wifi any how.

3. lifeguard thread starter macrumors 6502

lifeguard

That is what I kind of I was thinking. It will be interesting to see how Verizon and Apple handle this and the difference in sevice between AT&T and Verizon.

4. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

That's a good point. Especially considering text messages can be received even when on the phone.

5. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Not sure there's anything to handle. It'll just wait to be delivered until the call has ended (if on 3G; obviously not an issue if on wifi).

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

there is nothing to handle. The service is not tied to a carrier. It is all linked back to Apple servers and that is it. Just needs a data connection back to it.

It would be like when a phone call is on edge on GSM network. Things just get in a holding pattern waiting to be cleared.

7. lifeguard thread starter macrumors 6502

lifeguard

ok so the wife and I both have verizon iPhones.... lets say we have 5.whatever running and have imessage. Before we updated if I was on a phone call and she sent me a text I would still get the message while on the call. Now after the update is she sends me a message I won't get it untill I am off the call? Can anyone with Verizon and an Iphone running iMessage confirm?

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

If she sends you an iMessage which uses data you will not get it.
    if she sends you an SMS you will get it. It is that simple.

9. Aduntu macrumors 6502a

Aduntu

I think you mean it's held on the device until the call is complete.

10. lifeguard thread starter macrumors 6502

lifeguard

but everything I have been reading says the iMessage and SMS are all rolled into one thing and the device decides if it is is an IOS device.

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It is ruled into one app yes. But what determines if it is going to be iMessage or SMS is the sending device. So if you are on a call and your wife sends an iMessage means you have to wait to get off the call before you get even a notification of it.
    If an SMS is send then you get notified.

Here is what you have to remember iMessage = Data.
    SMS = not data.

12. lifeguard thread starter macrumors 6502

lifeguard

so as long as its sent to the Phone Number it is ok if she sends it to what ever imessage uses then it will wait. ok...

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, is it that hard to understand?
    A text message and an imessage is not the same.
    imessages use data and as you know with CDMA you cant talk and send/receive carrier data unless you're connected to wifi.

14. lifeguard, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011

lifeguard thread starter macrumors 6502

lifeguard

Hey don't be rude. I am asking an honest question and want the correct answer. I don't know how the iMessage system works. I understand the difference between data and wifi I but I don't know how imessages are sent. I didn't know if it was attached to your phone number or if you are sending it to an email address. Obviously you are not here to help and your "demi-god" title has gone to your head

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Rodimus and many others answered you numerous times but I still doubt that you got it.
    Good luck with it though, maybe some day you will :D

16. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Ok, OP, I will be plain and simple.

If you are on a call with Verizon using their current 3G network, the incoming message or any other data transfer is suspended.

The message will wait until a connection is made with your phone again, in other words when you hang up.

If you are hooked on Wi-Fi it will obviously go through. Not 3G cellular.

Only AT&T customers are able to get iMessages and talk at the same time on 3G cellular connections. Oh and surf the web as well.

17. lifeguard thread starter macrumors 6502

lifeguard

I get all that... I got it the first few times, I was under the impression that the imessage was sent to my PHONE NUMBER not an EMAIL address and I was wondering how that would work.

18. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

The message is sent to you. If you have an iPad, or iPod Touch, the system will use your email as identification, and for your iPhone your phone number.

However, since the message is data, it will still not work over 3G and you will have to wait until you hang up. Unless you are Wi-Fi connected.

19. lifeguard thread starter macrumors 6502

lifeguard

Do you have a choice whether you send it as a SMS or Imessage? Because if I want to send a text and have no choice whether it goes as a SMS or iMessage and the person is on the phone and apple sends it as a imessage instead of a text and they don't get it in a timely manner that's an issue

20. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

It's not sent to either. It's sent to your phone via a data connection....most likely via IP.

WOW

IIRC, you can only set this globally for all messages. You cannot chose at the time of sending the message.

21. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

Or what if you're roaming? I was under the impression that if you aren't available to receive an iMessage, that it defaults back to SMS.

22. lifeguard thread starter macrumors 6502

lifeguard

Don't ****ing "wow" me, these are legit questions to be asked

23. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

It's been asked and answered yet you continue to repeat yourself.

WOW ;)

24. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It was answered long ago by me. It goes to you as data. When I say you, I mean all your devices through device identification. That includes email and phone number identification to where the data is sent to.

Since this is data sent, it requires an internet connection the Verizon iPhone will not deliver over a call without Wi-Fi.

25. lifeguard thread starter macrumors 6502

lifeguard

No you did not answer my question

No one here has

If I currently send a message and the other person is on the phone they get it.
    Under 5.0 if I send a text message they won't get it if they are on the phone and I think that is crap!