Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeterRollback

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2015
Arizona
It wasn’t a money issue, however, I have the 7 Plus 128 and it’s literally the sweet spot. Only thing is that when I went in to the settings to see my usage, I had only used 34 of the 128 GB. I thought it was a glitch since I have over 18,000 photos on my device. But then I remembered that I pay $3 a month to use more iCloud storage. So basically my photos won’t be a problem.

Reactions: jiehanzheng

the caveman

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
It wasn’t a money issue, however, I have the 7 Plus 128 and it’s literally the sweet spot. Only thing is that when I went in to the settings to see my usage, I had only used 34 of the 128 GB. I thought it was a glitch since I have over 18,000 photos on my device. But then I remembered that I pay $3 a month to use more iCloud storage. So basically my photos won’t be a problem.
Thanks for sharing with us pal

Reactions: jeblis

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
i'm using about 55 out of my 128 gb... if i went with the 64Gb i would haven space for any media like recording 4k video

Reactions: PeterRollback

Sumter

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2014
I prefer having things available offline so I download all my music and pictures and videos. They’re around 70Gb+. I still pay for iCloud 200GB option as a backup though. I probably would’ve went for 128GB if there was one but since not, oh well. Went for 256GB.

Reactions: PeterRollback

Teledatageek

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2017
Upstate New York
I think I could have easily gotten away with 64GB, but got 256GB. Figured I would get back 50% of it anyway when the time comes to sell it - so 75 bucks for the bump didn't seem to bad to me.

Reactions: glhaynes

DJosche

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2017
Well I may end up putting more on the phone than I have in the past - e.g. documents, etc. from my laptop so I don't have to rely on the cloud or always having my laptop with me. So in the end, not sure I'll use it but for what I perceive to be $75 - no big.
Gotcha, I thought you meant you would get $75 more when you sell it to get the next iPhone

Chronus

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2014
I think I could have easily gotten away with 64GB, but got 256GB. Figured I would get back 50% of it anyway when the time comes to sell it - so 75 bucks for the bump didn't seem to bad to me.

Someone actually buys a device because what they can sell it for a year down the line?

Don' t tell me, you do cases and screen protectors too?

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
I’m coming from 128 down to 64 also, wish 128 was an option but like op I’m no where near 64. I don’t even know how the cloud works and will not pay for it anyway. 64 will be fine for me.. I don’t have music or files.. just photos and I download those to save what I want, putting what I like back on the phone in albums.
[doublepost=1509225080][/doublepost]
Someone actually buys a device because what they can sell it for a year down the line?

Don' t tell me, you do cases and screen protectors too?

What’s wrong with that? Hope your financial future is secure and you never have to think ahead and make smart choices. :). It would be great fun to buy the latest and greatest, I love tech, and not give a care to the cost or risk of going naked etc. Not everyone can or does think/live like that, just saying.

Chronus

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2014
I’m coming from 128 down to 64 also, wish 128 was an option but like op I’m no where near 64. I don’t even know how the cloud works and will not pay for it anyway. 64 will be fine for me.. I don’t have music or files.. just photos and I download those to save what I want, putting what I like back on the phone in albums.
[doublepost=1509225080][/doublepost]

What’s wrong with that? Hope your financial future is secure and you never have to think ahead and make smart choices. :). It would be great fun to buy the latest and greatest, I love tech, and not give a care to the cost or risk of going naked etc. Not everyone can or does think/live like that, just saying.

Do you do the same with cars, Tv's consoles etc. iPhones aren't investments. If your future isn't secure it's not a smart choice to blow $999 on an iPhone regardless of any resale factor you may or may not get when the next iDevice comes along.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
i personally could have gotten by with 64GB as I am in the 30's too of my 128GB, BUT, for $150 64GB vs. 256GB, I would be stupid to get cheap for the increase you get for relatively short money on a $1000+ order. It's kind of like not getting the $100 floor mats when buying a porsche.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
hubby got the 64.... he's only used 40 gb on his current iPhone 7 128 gb phone so HE decided that he only wanted and needed the 64 gb X.

we turn them in at the end of the year so why bother paying the extra money for something he's pretty sure he's not going to use?

when we were still selling them, we'd buy both of us the largest phones for resale purposes.... don't need to do that now!

Reactions: Ravi_MR

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
Do you do the same with cars, Tv's consoles etc. iPhones aren't investments. If your future isn't secure it's not a smart choice to blow $999 on an iPhone regardless of any resale factor you may or may not get when the next iDevice comes along.

I know you aren’t seriously looking for a reply but seriously your point is weak. TV really? Where is the forum of fans who buy and sell a certain brand of tv’s annually? Etc.
iPhones ARE and can be investments because of the strong secondary market for them.
I totally agree with blowing $999 on a phone if you can’t afford it isn’t smart... I’m betting a huge portion of people here are doing that. I never said I was one, I said what’s wrong with considering the resale value when buying a 256 vs 64 and when putting a case on it.
I’m not judging anyone or making choices for them, I’m just supporting the poster’s thought process that I replied to.. 128 might have higher resale value than 64, doesn’t hurt to consider it.
Sounds like you will have your income guaranteed for life and don’t need to think about anything financial.. that’s cool. Let’s just all enjoy our new TOYS and get along, right?

I don’t have a smart tv. My car is 8 years old and paid for.. but I don’t consider those investments in the slightest, never did. :)

Djentleman

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
UK
Looking at it now, this 256gb I currently have is the first time I've tried the capacity, and I only got it because I had no choice. But I thought 64gb seemed to small before because I couldn't fit all of my music, videos and apps into it. But my experience has made me realise that I've just ended up carrying more useless data that I never use and STILL haven't come anywhere close to utilising the full capacity.

TL;DR: 256gb isn't necessary if you're thoughtful about the data you carry around.

Reactions: Treyhunna
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.