Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
I don’t know what device you’re currently on. I have a 7 Plus since launch. Shot zero 4K videos. Plan to do same with X

I do a lot of travel vlogging. I have been around S/E Asia and I plan to take a lot more trips. I have been using my DJI Osmo Plus but it's a finicky beast. When it is dialed in the video is amazing but iI think I'll get just as good video with the iPhone (if not better) without all the fuss. Luckily I can get the DJI Z1 adapter and replace the camera with my phone.

Reactions: OneMike

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
My reasons -

Google Photos unlimited storage for high quality. They will make your photos smaller in size as well. If you want to save it back to your phone, it will be smaller like less than 2MB.

Only my small music collection (5GB) is in my iPhone.

Adding and deleting files will slow down the flash memory. There is only a finite amount of writes.

I prefer streaming content more like for music or videos. T-Mobile offers me unlimited Netflix.

I don't like to hoard all my media.

In case it gets stolen, I don't want the thief to see all my personal photos and videos. Face ID could be easier to trick.

My video collection is nearly 2TB and iOS is limited playing many formats and iTunes won't recognize mkv and avi files. Videos uploaded on Google Photos could be streamed without conversion.

My bare minimum is actually 32GB. Avoid 16GB for good. If they offered 32GB X for $100 cheaper, I would've went for that. Google Photos has made me never wanting to buy another microSD card again or care for storage options higher than 32/64GB.

Lacking expandable storage for iPods and iPhones was just another planned obsolescence technique like not having removable battery. Cloud storage and streaming on unlimited data plans to save the day.

I generally use my Androids for media playback on physical storage. QuickPic, Flud, TubeMate (pre-3.0), GPlayer, MX Player Pro are all awesome.

My media files are also on a pair of 128GB microSD cards. In case the phone breaks, the media is saved and vice-versa. And no bombarding the flash memory with so many files that reaches to under 2GB left and too many writes.

Complex757

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2016
I picked 256 so I wouldn't have to worry about checking my space. Ideally they would have had a 128.

And if I keep it two years instead of one, it won't matter

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I picked 256 so I wouldn't have to worry about checking my space. Ideally they would have had a 128.

And if I keep it two years instead of one, it won't matter

I think next year there will be a 6.4 iPhone X offered in a 128 GB. I think 64 GB will be phased out next year.

sartrekid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2014
Germany
Do you do the same with cars, Tv's consoles etc. iPhones aren't investments. If your future isn't secure it's not a smart choice to blow $999 on an iPhone regardless of any resale factor you may or may not get when the next iDevice comes along.

Do you carry those in your pocket day in and day out? What a futile argument. What phones are and aren't to someone isn't up to you.

Reactions: Laryl

Treyhunna

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2017
I hope folks who use cloud storage realize that your content (in this case, 18k photos) isn't on your device. When you actually want to view/use/edit etc your content, it's downloaded to your device. As app sizes become larger, photo and video sizes become larger, etc you're going to need more room to download that content. You should view cloud storage as backup and/or lazy loading. This is why laptops come with hundreds of Gigabytes of storage (even the Chromebook, which was originally an 'everything in the cloud' laptop now comes with substantial storage because that use case didn't really work out).
I suggest u look up the "optimize" photos option in icloud, cuz apples already thought of that, also it keeps track of photos u have not opened up in a while and offloads it off ur device until u click I to download again, so thing won't "add back up"

Reactions: PeterRollback

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
Similar usage on my 7plus, 25GB out of 128GB. Went for the 64GB and will spend the difference on a wireless charger or two.

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
These threads are interesting because everyone always gets so damn defensive. You have those who justify saving the 150 to opt for 64GB (they may say they done use much storage anyway or have cloud storage) and those who justify spending the extra by claiming those who went for 64 made a mistake,
Truth is both sides can’t admit that Apple screwed us all over by intentionally eliminating the 128GB model which I guarantee you the vast majority would have gone for. The sweet spot was 128 and 256 is too large for most users. However those who don’t need 256 but were happy with 128 are ina dialema because of Apples move. So yeah if you have iCloud I do agree you can get by. Personally I had a 128 iPhone 7 and went for the X, I went for 64 because I already pay apple for 2TB of iCloud and I don’t want to be bullied into a 256 option I never would have bought , but I won’t lie -64 isn’t ideal, the sweet spot option I truly wanted no longer exists. Apple knew exactly what it was doing

chrisforpm

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2015
I went for 64GB as well. My iPhone 8+ is currently using 21.1 GB with music all downloaded to the phone and pics optimized through iCloud. I like cleaning up my phone every once in awhile and getting rid of apps, photos and music that I don’t use. So I doubt I’ll ever surpass 40GB, let alone max out.

I guess everyone has to decide what works for them.

SOLLERBOY

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2008
UK
256GB - I have a 16GB 6+ and that was fine for 2014 but have since had to delete almost all apps as they keep getting bigger. When it gets to less than 1GB free it starts to crash and stutter. Pre iOS 11 I used to be able to force clear the cache by trying to download a large movie but that trick doesn't work anymore and the auto clearing doesn't remove as much. I want to actually be able to use the phone so I went with the larger storage since I will likely be keeping it a few years again.

The issue with the cloud is as someone mentioned above that it requires space for unpacking so while I do use optimise storage and will continue to do so for apple photos - I work on the assumption that sometimes it will require 10GB+ of free space for when I am browsing and editing images etc. Additionally, the thumbnails will continue to add up so the 1.5GB it currently takes up will most likely grow a decent amount in the next year or so. I made the final decision on the fact I am a cinematographer and photographer so I am media heavy and want to use the camera at 4k a lot. When I consider the usable space will be what 50-54gb on the 64gb? and discount the 10GB or so I already use plus the apps I had to delete I just think the 256GB made sense for me. I can however imagine that the 64GB is perfect for most. ! 128Gb starting capacity would have been perfect though.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
I’ve always been on the low end of usage. I’m so vested in the cloud, all my music, videos, photos etc all reside there and I don’t have much use for on-device storage. That said, my wife isn’t as cognizant about storage and ran into “Memory full” type issues on her phones in the past. So for the past few generations I’ve always just been buying the max memory to keep myself off the couch.

My current phone is a Pixel XL (Gen 1), with 128GB. I only “use” 54GB... which is a Ton, and mostly because the phone has not felt a need to delete local copies of photos/videos yet. With the eve of 4k60FPS videos however, I forsee myself shooting lots of 4K vids of my kids while on vacation... between opportunities to offload to the cloud. I figured the 256 model is just one less thing to worry about, and at this price... the extra hundred bucks was a no-brainer for me.

PeterRollback

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2015
Arizona
Yes you made the right choice. I’m on the same boat and only use 25% of 128gb. No need to pay for $256 if you don’t need the storage. Also if you upgrade every year why even sweat your decision this year? Who knows 128gb might be offered next year or if you really need the storage by that time then go up to 256gb.
You’re exactly right. I’m glad you think so as well. I have a plan where I upgrade every year so what if Apple does, indeed, offer 128 next year. :)
[doublepost=1509293958][/doublepost]
I also went for the 64GB when I bought the iPhone 8+ and did so again when purchasing the X. I had to cleanup some space but like the OP mentioned, I pay $3 a month for iCloud and it seems silly to pay Apple twice considering my company pays my data plan, so I don’t need to store music locally and do mostly streaming.

That’s exciting how you used the 8+ for a while until the X. You really get the best of both worlds haha
[doublepost=1509294089][/doublepost]
My reasons -

Google Photos unlimited storage for high quality. They will make your photos smaller in size as well. If you want to save it back to your phone, it will be smaller like less than 2MB.

Only my small music collection (5GB) is in my iPhone.

Adding and deleting files will slow down the flash memory. There is only a finite amount of writes.

I prefer streaming content more like for music or videos. T-Mobile offers me unlimited Netflix.

I don't like to hoard all my media.

In case it gets stolen, I don't want the thief to see all my personal photos and videos. Face ID could be easier to trick.

My video collection is nearly 2TB and iOS is limited playing many formats and iTunes won't recognize mkv and avi files. Videos uploaded on Google Photos could be streamed without conversion.

My bare minimum is actually 32GB. Avoid 16GB for good. If they offered 32GB X for $100 cheaper, I would've went for that. Google Photos has made me never wanting to buy another microSD card again or care for storage options higher than 32/64GB.

Lacking expandable storage for iPods and iPhones was just another planned obsolescence technique like not having removable battery. Cloud storage and streaming on unlimited data plans to save the day.

I generally use my Androids for media playback on physical storage. QuickPic, Flud, TubeMate (pre-3.0), GPlayer, MX Player Pro are all awesome.

My media files are also on a pair of 128GB microSD cards. In case the phone breaks, the media is saved and vice-versa. And no bombarding the flash memory with so many files that reaches to under 2GB left and too many writes.
I’m glad you mentioned Google Photos. I still haven’t gotten around to learn how it works yet but I’d love to give it a try. I also feel the same about Touch ID, I feel like it may be easier to trick. (Especially with that evil twin)

SXR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2007
Netherlands
It wasn’t a money issue, however, I have the 7 Plus 128 and it’s literally the sweet spot. Only thing is that when I went in to the settings to see my usage, I had only used 34 of the 128 GB. I thought it was a glitch since I have over 18,000 photos on my device. But then I remembered that I pay $3 a month to use more iCloud storage. So basically my photos won’t be a problem.

Same here, still wondering if I should've gotten the 256. But Im on a 64GB for the past 3 years and only use like half of it.... hopefully it'll be OK :)

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Why anyone would need 256GB I don’t know. I’ve used 22GB of my 128GB Plus

I agree but when the choices are 64 vs 256 for $150 bucks it’s kind of a no brainer. 64 is not worth having to check storage constantly or manage it. With the 7, there was a 128 option in the middle which I selected.

Suspenders

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2017
I record a lot of videos and store a ton of music... So 256gb was a no brainier.

On a previous 128gb 6s plus, I used up well over 100gb easily...

iPhone X can record 4K 60 FPS! Even though I don't have a 4K TV today, I eventually will and the footage I take now will still be relevant then.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I can understand that. I went with 256 even though it was overkill because I only use the cloud as backup, not main storage. It's just that there are times when data speed is slow or non-existent and I don't want to hammer my battery as it struggles to xfer docs, videos, photos. To me buying a 64GB model because it's $150 less is pennywise and pound foolish. For me a 64GB would be a tax on the whole experience.

Coprolite

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Here is a generalization: 256 is for those with small music and video collections and who are too lazy to back up or organize their phone often, if ever.

I blew past 1tb of music over 10 years ago and my video collection is around 4-5tb. I haven’t checked my pictures. I simply back them up and wipe the phone every once and a while. I have my favorite albums synced and barely use them now that I stream nost music. I sync my Plex across, but don’t need the whole library.

64 should be good for those that don’t have much or have way too much to matter.

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
I have always fluctuated between 10-12 gigs of space usage in the last 5 or 6 years so 64 is plenty for me. Then again, I only have about 10 apps on my phone.

Vundu

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
When you are spending so much on a premium phone why skimp at the end and get the lower storage. 64GB is not much these days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.