Why no SD slot: you see lies?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kulfon, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Kulfon macrumors regular

ok, here is what they have to say:

Because of a couple of things. One, it’s a bit of a cumbersome slot. You’ve got this thing sticking halfway out. Then there are very fine and fast USB card readers, and then you can use CompactFlash as well as SD. So we could never really resolve this – we picked SD because more consumer cameras have SD but you can only pick one. So, that was a bit of a trade-off. And then more and more cameras are starting to build wireless transfer into the camera. That’s proving very useful. So we think there’s a path forward where you can use a physical adaptor if you want, or do wireless transfer.

I just could not believe what I am reading. So they are worried that this thing is sticking halway out and yet they are not worried for multiple dongles and adaptors sticking out from every side?

Also...who are the Pro photographers that are using wireless transfers?

2. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Wireless is really unreliable for mobile/onsite work. They should've just given us 2 USB-C ports and 2 Express slots for backwards compatibility and future flexibility.

3. Kulfon thread starter macrumors regular

Is this better?

Attached Files:

4. Altis macrumors 68020

How we used to dream of having such courage

5. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

I don't see what that picture has to do with the discussion. It shows the 12" Macbook which has one single USB-C port.

6. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Yeah, and bring back the optical drive too!!!!!! :mad:

7. Mr.Blacky macrumors regular

I´m sorry, but what is he doing? Why does he have his iPhone plugged into his MacBook, while at the same time using earphones on the iPhone? Is this a typical scenario?o_O

8. Rigby macrumors 601

I do this quite often on days where I have lots of calls and the battery runs low.

I don't need any dongles though since I use a 2015 MBP and an iPhone SE. :p

9. jerryk macrumors 68020

I have seen people use it on fashion shoots. Lets the clients see the direction as the shoot proceeds. People use wireless or tethered to feed image directly to a folder on a computer and a program displays them on monitors.

10. Mr.Blacky macrumors regular

Just use your MacBook to make phone calls! I do this quite often!

11. Smoovejayy macrumors regular

I hope this was a joke haha.

12. Rigby macrumors 601

I wish that was possible, but unfortunately by business line doesn't support Wifi calling.

13. Tanax macrumors 6502a

Photographers are one type of pro's. I must've missed the part where it said it was called Macphoto Pro. Removing the SD-card slot is great!

14. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Musicians like myself want to record straight to SD and keep my clients' project files separate.

15. Mr.Blacky macrumors regular

I´m talking about this:
    IMG_0194.PNG
    You can´t use this?

16. Rigby macrumors 601

Nope. This needs to be supported by the carrier (and requires Wifi calling, because it uses the same gateway into the carrier's phone network). Our corporate lines don't allow this.

17. Mr.Blacky macrumors regular

My carrier doesn´t support wifi calling and I can still use it. Looks like I´m lucky!

18. Rigby macrumors 601

There are actually two variants of this: One works only if your Mac and the iPhone are on the same Wifi network and can talk to each other. In this case you don't need carrier support, since the call is routed through the iPhone. This wouldn't help much in my case since the iPhone battery would still run out (and it wouldn't work in many corporate and paid Wifi networks anyway because they often use client isolation).

The second variant works without going through the iPhone, i.e. any enabled Mac or iPad that is connected to the Internet can make calls under your iPhone's phone number even if the iPhone isn't nearby or even turned on. This requires Wifi calling for the reason mentioned above.

19. Tanax macrumors 6502a

I'm both a musician, producer and a programmer. Never ever have I even touched an SD-card except maybe in school back in the days... Why do you record to an SD-card? Out of curiosity...

20. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Because I like to work off of my external HD or SD. Keep my MacBook clean and virtually empty at all times. That's why it never feels slow and bogged down. It's easier to organize and keep track of. Easier to pass around between workstations. Easier to give to clients.

21. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

But don't you want to hand a copy to your client, instead of the original? And how do backups get made? Does Time Machine include all SD cards you stick in the slot?

22. alex0002 macrumors 6502

Interview with Phil Schiller on the removal of the SD Card interface:
    But on the decision to keep the 3.5 mm audio jack:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...rview-phil-iphone-ios-criticism-a7393156.html

So there you have it. Wireless is a good option for DSLR/video transfers, but not so good for people with existing audio systems.

23. iizmoo macrumors 6502

I would get the SD slot thing more if it were faster. But at least on my 2013 MBA, the SDXC slot seemed to be slow with an IO limitation from what I researched years ago. The limitation was because of the particular SD drive that Apple used, don't know if it got better with later models, but I was disappointed speed wise.

A/V/Photographers peep might have a little bit more here as they do use SD cards, but for others like me who were using it as an expansion storage, what's wrong with using a USB drive? Or, I've been thinking about velcroing a Samsung T3 to the back of the lid hard case, and just running a small 90mm USB-C cable to one of the port. You would get a real SSD at 400MB+ I/O instead of SD speeds (which a pretty slow).

24. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

I don't use Time Machine. I make copies to an external HD, both USB and wifi.

25. ericwn macrumors 65816

Why is it great?