Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
That's somewhat different in the sense that it's a whole design jump basically, and something only they have done thus far, and not just a generic bump in memory.
Something they "had" done at that time. The new Qualcomm processors as well as a couple of other players have developed 64 bit processors. Granted, even Qualcomm admitted they were caught off guard, but there are other 64 bit processors for phones other than Apple.

LucasEVille

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
Nottingham & London, UK
Not everyone tries to use their phone like it is a mainframe.

ndqrbcvw.png

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
I had an early launch 6+ that was getting tons of forced page reloads on Safari. That is, until Apple replaced my phone over the weekend after I noticed that wifi on the phone was running at about 30% of what my iPad Air, rMBP, iMac and my wife's 6 were running at. Resetting network setting brought the speed up to ~125Mbps, but within 30 minutes it fell back to 25-30 Mbps.

Now with my replacement 6+ (128Gb) I've yet to see any reloads.

Orr

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2013
No one knows what mobile RAM is except niche folk like us.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
No one knows what mobile RAM is except niche folk like us.
I bring up my points again, there is a lot that Apple does talk about that a lot fewer people understand, such as transistor counts, pixel size, 64 bit processor, etc. Lots of people know what RAM is, and even more would understand that doubling the RAM from 1GB to 2GB is a good thing, compared to going from 10 million to 20 million transistors.

Pelea

Suspended
Oct 5, 2014
I bring up my points again, there is a lot that Apple does talk about that a lot fewer people understand, such as transistor counts, pixel size, 64 bit processor, etc. Lots of people know what RAM is, and even more would understand that doubling the RAM from 1GB to 2GB is a good thing, compared to going from 10 million to 20 million transistors.

Apple mostly talks about the technical aspects of a phone when they can boast about them being better than other phones, ex pixel size, 64 bit processor, transistors etc

Orr

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2013
Lots of people know what RAM is, and even more would understand that doubling the RAM from 1GB to 2GB is a good thing, compared to going from 10 million to 20 million transistors.

Many of the folks in here don't even think upping the iPhone RAM to 2GB is necessary for various reasons... Apple never emphasizes RAM during their product presentations. There may be a brief mention of it in passing if indeed the 2GB of LPDDR4 as rumored are included. But only in regards to increased efficiency and power savings. Apple isn't going to say that they've been effectively screwing every iteration from the 5S onwards with insufficient RAM.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
My old note 3 that came out in 2013 has 3 gigs of RAM lol

Right. And TouchWiz will use 2 of your 3GB for hand gestures and other nonsense, leaving you with 1GB for Apps. Apps that use more ram because they're poorly designed and have a huge overhead. So over hearing about the RAM in Android phones.

2 GBs in an iPhone will be great. But anything above that in a phone right now is stupid. The additional power draw for RAM thats just going un-utilized makes no sense, and only appeals to the dumbest of geeks. More people should be getting at Google to be more efficient with 1/2 Gigs of ram instead of being all like "WOW 4GBS OF RAM THIS PHONE IS GOING TO BE SO SMOOTH AND FAST!!"

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
Right. And TouchWiz will use 2 of your 3GB for hand gestures and other nonsense, leaving you with 1GB for Apps. Apps that use more ram because they're poorly designed and have a huge overhead. So over hearing about the RAM in Android phones.

2 GBs in an iPhone will be great. But anything above that in a phone right now is stupid. The additional power draw for RAM thats just going un-utilized makes no sense, and only appeals to the dumbest of geeks. More people should be getting at Google to be more efficient with 1/2 Gigs of ram instead of being all like "WOW 4GBS OF RAM THIS PHONE IS GOING TO BE SO SMOOTH AND FAST!!"

Apps reloading takes way, way way more power than the miniscule additional power draw 3-4GB of ram takes.

I dare say that is an extremely weak argument.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Power draw from 2GB vs 3GB of RAM is extremely minuscule, the power draw is more on the type of RAM being used. With low powered DDR4 RAM being used in many high end Android phones released this year, you could argue that 1GB in the iPhone 6 actually uses more power than 2GB in the next iPhone if they use the newer low-powered RAM.

As the other poster said too, app reloading also takes a significant battery hit.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
All RAM is utilised, no matter how much there is. There can never be too much RAM just sitting there doing nothing. Obviously 10GB would be overkill but 3GB would be positively ideal.

Reactions: Demo Kit

SeilerBird

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2014
All RAM is utilised, no matter how much there is. There can never be too much RAM just sitting there doing nothing. Obviously 10GB would be overkill but 3GB would be positively ideal.
Boy oh boy, now I understand sunking. That is one of the all time totally wrong statements ever. Not a shred of truth.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania

Even if that were true, it's still a better situation than what we've currently got on iOS. We've got only 1GB RAM and the OS consumes about 700MB on a fresh boot, leaving ~300MB for apps.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I understand what you meant, but saying no amount of RAM is too much, is wrong. If you had 10GB of RAM, that's more than the entire OS itself, and would not be utilized.
I meant that RAM is always utilised but obviously if there is way too much then it won't be. Seilerbird was making out like 3GB would be too much and sitting there unused.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.