Will iPhone X screen size satisfy Plus users?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ColdShadow, Oct 5, 2017.

1. TravisPNW macrumors 6502

TravisPNW

I certainly don't.

I went car shopping and looked at the Camaro... Mustang... and Challenger.

The Challenger was the roomiest... the only one of the 3 that actually looked like a classic muscle car... and was gorgeous to boot.

I think the Camaro is a horrid looking box on wheels. The Mustang wasn't bad... but if it weren't for the horse emblem would you know it was a Mustang?

So I bought the Challenger.

unnamed.jpg

I did the same thing when considering the 8 Plus and the X.

I'm sure the Camaro and Mustang owners will disagree... and that's fine. :cool:

2. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

The issue is you keep saying that it is fine that others disagree, but then when people do disagree with you you basically just tell them they are wrong.

3. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

Haha, I don't think you and I will ever agree. At least you have good taste in cars.

IMG_1389.JPG

4. TravisPNW macrumors 6502

TravisPNW

Am I? My bad, hadn't noticed.

We can agree or disagree all day long... but I am by no means saying that you are wrong. If I've come off that way I apologize... isn't my intent.

Enjoy your X... I'll be enjoying my 8 Plus much like I enjoy my Challenger. I've got friends who have Mustangs and Camaros and I've never once told them they bought the wrong car.

Cheers. :)
    --- Post Merged, Oct 6, 2017 ---
    Nice car. :)

5. marty1980 macrumors 6502

iPhone X is 5.8" while 6/6S/7/8 Plus models are 5.5"

X is bigger screen, but smaller overall form.

I get the Plus models for the big screen and the camera. The X makes the screen bigger with better resolution and dpi. The X has the "best" iPhone cameras.

The screen and form are not my concerns when it comes to iPhone X.

6. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

I may be projecting the actions of others on you right now as well. I certainly plan on enjoying my X and am glad that so many that don't like the X are enjoying their phones as well.

7. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I don’t know if this video has been posted already

I just don’t think the X will be big enough for me. Coupled with the notch and lack of Touch ID I’m leaning towards the 8 plus. Will decided by the time the X pre-orders go live.

8. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

The more I see the ears and "margin" areas in use the more I am starting to dislike them. And I am shocked Apple would allow the notch to be visible for videos and elsewhere. Their solution to hiding it only seems to make it worse. The choice is between watching a video with a notch on the side or shrinking the video to the point that it is the same size as regular iPhone 6/7/8.

I don't understand how anyway can state, "the ears are great" when it is an obvious compromise. I can def understand statements like, "I don't like the ears but I can live with them." That at least is honest.

I can live with an iPhone 6/7/8 sized phone for basic interactions and use. But I have gone with Plus sized phones for media consumption, news reading, games and other things--even though the larger size is a bit more unwieldy. It sounds to me like the X will be closer to 6/7/8(/9?) for those activities. So it has me wondering what benefit is the so-called larger screen on the X? At least it doesn't come with the drawback of being more unwieldy, which is a plus to me. I don't mean to act like my "phablets" have been too hard to use, and I have large hands, but I wouldn't call their larger physical size a benefit.

Oh another thing: I wish Apple had been more creative in using the ears. I have an LG V20 that has an LCD main screen (a very good one) and a much smaller "second screen" (OLED) that sits right above it, covering the right 75% of the top of the main LCD (to the left of the second screen are the camera, etc.).

The V20 doesn't ever use the second screen to extend content from the main LCD (and if it did it would only have one 25% notch out of a corner of the display). Instead it uses it for a variety of other purposes, many of which can be quite useful. For example when on a phone call it shows phone end/mute icons that you can swipe to end/mute a call, no matter what app you are in. While watching a video, it disappears. But tap it and it shows playback controls without superimposing anything over the video (and you can configure media controls to show all the time, while watching video, or only after tapping). While playing a game that hides the status bar, tap the second screen and it becomes the status bar. It can display the last 5 apps, icons and all, so can be used as an app switcher. You can set 5 favorite apps or actions so they are available all the time. When the phone is off the second screen can be set to stay on, to show various items (configurable). So to me there are a lot of things Apple could have done with those ears.

Yet I still want an X. Ugh. lol

Mike

9. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Note 8 is basically the same price as the X.

Apple charging more is not surprising. People will pay these prices for the Apple experience.
    Trial X? no. I bought it to see how Android is in 2017. I may end up keeping it, not sure yet.

10. tongefactor40 macrumors regular

This notch isn’t a flaw in my opinion but more of a limitation on what Apple was able to do... they probably tried hard to bury all the notch stuff behind the screen in test models but it just didn’t work out in time.

The fact that they try and sell the notch as intentional... “we always had this planned” is just silly.

11. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Good choice, IMO the Challenger looks the best with the classic style. If I were to buy one I would get it in baby Blue.

12. ronincse macrumors regular

ronincse

Hey if the retailer wants to offer a 30 day return policy with no restocking fee no real issue with taking advantage of it! I just did the same with a Note 8 actually and I might do the same with my Apple Watch if I decide I want a Pixel this year ;)

13. Radon87000 macrumors 603

Note 8 has a much bigger 6.3 screen and comes in its expandable storage. Apple will charge $1100 for the equivalent and it comes without fast charging bundled in.

14. Bowlis78 macrumors newbie

Bowlis78

Coming from a galaxy s8plus i really miss the apple ecosystem...and i agree the iphone X will be more friendly than the Plus...but the size display in reality will be shorter.

The main reason for going X its the OLED...i think coming from a galaxy you really notice the difference here with the screen and that would be the FACTOR to change to the X no matter what.

15. Macalway macrumors 68020

I think this is the whole point of the X, no?

+ size, in a tight package. Best of both worlds, la di da.

Of course you need to lug around dongles and huge charging mats, etc.

16. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

I have no need to "lug" around a charging mat. I have chargers in my house and in my car. Also, I rarely use the headphone dongle. So no, there is no "need" in my case.

17. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Good point, but I have to agree with Tim Cook on the notion that most people pay monthly not upfront.
    $40 vs $45 a month is not really going to matter to the person IMO.

18. Mikeeee macrumors regular

Mikeeee

I'm sure next year the notch will still be there. They aren't going to screw over the millions of people who bought X version 1 by removing the notch and making their phone almost worthless. Maybe in 3-5 years but not next year.

19. TravisPNW macrumors 6502

TravisPNW

Good point.

Totally forgot about how Apple caters to resellers and scalpers.

20. Radon87000 macrumors 603

You must be joking about handling it one handed. I own a 7 Plus and theres no way in hell its a one handed phone.

21. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

Have to agree here. I can obviously hold it one handed, but using it one handed? Nah.

22. iPhonefreak79 macrumors newbie

iPhonefreak79

IF the 8 Plus had "Pro-Motion" display, I would have bought that in a heartbeat, instead of the X.

Does anyone know if the X comes with 60hz or 120hz?

23. MEJHarrison macrumors 6502a

I have a 6+. I can one hand it. I can text one handed. I can browse one handed. I have big hands.

That said, I’m looking forward to getting an iPhone X.

24. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Doesn't have ProMotion.

25. TravisPNW, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

TravisPNW macrumors 6502

TravisPNW

One handed as in able to access any app anywhere on the screen.... text... etc...

Ummmm... yeah.
    I knew I wasn't the only one. :)
    I don't drive the Challenger one handed though... oh wait... most of the time I do. :cool:

Attached Files: