Will iPhone X screen size satisfy Plus users?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ColdShadow, Oct 5, 2017.

1. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

Wrong, the Plus has the bigger screen. Look at the active usable space. The X is the same as the 8..

2. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

Just going by the numbers. 5.8 inches diagonally for the X and 5.5 for the Plus. You can try to spin it any way you want, but the X screen is larger.

3. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Might be best for you to see it in hand first but I know that’s next to impossible without waiting and not seeing the phone for months and months.

I bought the x case and it does feel small in my hand but i’m Sure I will adjust to it. If however I pre order and i’m Waiting long into 2018 I will likely stick with my 7 plus but I will need to get a sim only deal with EE as I bought the new nike watch to get for my new device so I can use LTE on the watch.

Hopefully though the wait won’t be too bad. Just depends if I go on contract or through apple’s upgrade program.

4. ForumChick macrumors regular

ForumChick

It is not larger. What we’re really doing is stretching the size of our phones, giving us more space to reach. Not really appealing.

5. JPack macrumors 6502a

JPack

Anyone who applies high school trigonometry to the numbers would disagree.

6. TravisPNW macrumors 6502

TravisPNW

Wow. People are still talking about the X being larger than the Plus?

NgWErND.jpg

Look at that nice 6.5mm gap in the width between the Plus (bottom) and X screen protector. (top)

What was it? 12.9 vs 12.3 when adding in the X's notch space and gesture area?

7. MEJHarrison macrumors 6502a

That's because people aren't clear about their measurements. Larger how? Larger in terms of width / height in inches/cm? Larger in terms of the diagonal measurement? More pixels? More points?

It's like statistics. If you're not careful, you can accurately say whatever you want. Sure the X is larger, measure the screen from top to bottom with a ruler! Or, no the Plus is larger, measure from side to side. Or the X is bigger because it has a larger diagonal measurement. Or the Plus is larger because it has more total area. Or the X is larger because it has more pixels.

My point is, there are tons of different measurements in play here. If a person doesn't specify which measurement they're talking about, then their comment is really ambiguous. I can say the X has a "larger" screen and not really be wrong. Misleading perhaps, but completely accurate if talking about the right numbers. Same for the Plus.

That's why these thread are so much fun to read. :)

8. fokmik macrumors 68000

The X has 30% more area than normal iphones. The next year 6.4” will be the plus variant edge to edge to have more area than the current plus

9. Hackett00 macrumors newbie

it's hilarious how heated people get over this notch thing and those with opposing views. Personally, I think the bezels are horrendous and will absolutely never own another apple bezel phone...but if that's what you like i say go for it. It's an iconic look and you are literally the only person that has to look at it if you purchase it. I actually wish more people felt this way....better chance for me to get an iPhone that I can live with. Reminds me of the plus haters and all of the arguments when the 6 lineup was released. Some people were legitimately PISSED that Apple even dared to offer a larger phone. Some people still are. R-E-L-A-X. It is just a phone.

10. flat five, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

flat five macrumors 603

flat five

which one of these is bigger?
    (they're drawn to scale / actual dimensions)

Screen Shot 2017-10-06 at 7.08.22 PM.png

reality is, the Plus screen is a tiny bit larger than the X.. so close in size that they're effectively the same size.
    (just btw)
    --- Post Merged, Oct 6, 2017 ---
    ha.

----
    i think if you're not giving an exact specification (such as "the X is taller than 8+".. which is true)...
    and instead, you just say "the X is bigger than 8+" (which is false)..

..then you're not being misleading.. you're being inaccurate and saying false statements ;)
    (imo)

we're talking about 2D planes.. like a wall.. we've been measuring things like this for thousands of years.
    so- if you apply paint evenly, how much paint will it take to cover wall#1? ... how much paint will it take to cover wall#2?
    whichever wall needs more paint is the larger wall.

in the case of 8+ & X, the Plus will require a little bit more paint to cover the screen.. it's larger.

11. TravisPNW macrumors 6502

TravisPNW

I know right! Great post! It's just a phone.

I could care less what phone you get! You could care less what phone I get!

You think the bezels are horrendous, and I think the notch is horrendous. What's cool though is you don't have to look at my 8 Plus and I don't have to look at your X.

What I think is hilarious is how far people will go to have the current flagship phone. They'll bypass bills, sell jewelry, be late on the rent, pawn the car title... max out the CC... etc... just so they can have the iPhone X. It's a status symbol.

Me? I could give a rats... I survived the last year with the 6s Plus and not the flagship 7. Now I've got the 8 Plus... soon to be overtaken by the X as the flagship iPhone.

I really wanna be one of those guys to run out and buy the X and yell "I just got the iPhone X, my epeen is THIS BIG!" but that's just not how I roll...

12. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

Narrower, yes. Still overall a bigger screen though. Your picture proves that. Just because it goes vertical, doesn’t mean the screen isn’t there.

13. JPack macrumors 6502a

JPack

The vertical area doesn't make up for the lost width.

The math already proves it.

14. TravisPNW macrumors 6502

TravisPNW

Hmmmm....

So what changed from when you said this yesterday?

The screen sizes sure didn't.

:)

15. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

Actually, you’re wrong. Do a little research. The working are of the X is the same as the 8. The working are of the 8 Plus is MUCH bigger.
    Again, you’re wrong. Do a little research.

https://developer.apple.com/ios/human-interface-guidelines/overview/iphone-x/

16. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

I’m just gonna go by the listed dimensions of the screen on Apple’s site. Not sure why it makes a difference to you what I think, but feel free.

17. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

Because you're delusional is you think the screen, the real working screen space, is bigger on the X. It’s rather sad really.

18. Aibocyrus macrumors 6502a

Aibocyrus

Personally, I’m aware of the measurements of the screen coming from a Plus and going to the X. I’m perfectly happy with what I will be getting, and you know? That’s my right as a consumer to feel ok with losing 6.5mm of a gap measured by width.

19. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

that's fine and a perfectly accurate way to make the size comparison.. however, since you're trying to compare two rectangles of different shapes, make sure you look at the proper listed dimensions to do such a comparison.. this dimension, not that one:

Screen Shot 2017-10-06 at 9.28.10 PM.png

-------

(it is a bit more effort than a simple length*width area calculation to arrive at a proper comparison since on the X, you need to account for the corners and cameras.. if the X were simply a rectangle at the size listed above, it would be the larger screen.. the corners and camera take out enough screen to make it a tad smaller than the 8+..
    it's really close, i'll outline it later )

20. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

i too think the X will feel larger than the Plus.. however, i'm not quite sure i'd say it's because of 'trickery'.. it's just smarter and/or more efficient&optimized space planning.

a few examples to illustrate:

say you're faced with choosing one of the following two bedrooms:

Screen Shot 2017-10-06 at 8.25.50 PM.png

..they're both the same size.. the one on the left is a rectangle and the one on the right is the same rectangle except 1' has been removed from the length and this area was reshaped/relocated to form a nook or closet.

which one do you pick?
    which one is the better use of space?

with the rectangle, all of your objects will need to be contained within a single active space.. the other one is more functional as there's now a dedicated area for less active but still necessary elements (clothes/shoes/book shelf/etc)

with the iPhone X, something similar is happening as there are now nooks to contain things like time/signal strength/battery/etc.. they no longer need to share space with the otherwise active area.. in this regard, the X is more organized than the rectangular screen..

further, on a rectangular screen (plus), the whole top of the screen is dedicated as a 'closet' which houses the status info.. then there is another section above that (the top bezel) which contains the speaker and camera.. on the X, these two stagnant areas have been condensed into one row.. time/battery/signal status/camera/speaker/microphone/trueDepth sensors... all of that.. has been condensed into a thin strip along the top of the phone.. on the plus, it's taking about 6or7 of those strips to do the same (well, less) functions..

the top of the X (ie- the part with the notch), is superior* use of space over the plus in regards to space efficiency and organization.. again, not 'trickery'.. just smart planning

(* and yes, it's soo much better in these regards that i'll be so bold as to call it 'superior'.. it's a fact and not arguable)

-----------------
    also, i feel like many people look at the X layout and think this is what happened:

they feel Apple started with a rectangle:
    Screen Shot 2017-10-06 at 9.04.27 PM.png

....then they chopped off the corners:

Screen Shot 2017-10-06 at 9.05.46 PM.png

... then they cut a notch out of the display.. which leaves us with a hacked up version of what should of stayed as the original rectangle:

Screen Shot 2017-10-06 at 9.06.11 PM.png

-----------------------

..but what they really did is more like this:
    started with a smaller rectangle then appended more screen.. something like:

Screen Shot 2017-10-06 at 10.33.32 PM.png

in regards to iPhone8+ comparison and/or an evolution of iPhone design (meaning, it's still roughly an iPhone-- thin slab of glass and metal with a rounded rectangular shape).. it would look something like:

Screen Shot 2017-10-06 at 10.31.12 PM.png

turning into this:

Screen Shot 2017-10-06 at 10.21.36 PM.png

and further, it's less of a 'dumb' rectangle and more of functional layout (in the context of the bedroom example)

21. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

The most significant thing to me is keyboard size. The more narrow the screen. The closer/smaller the keys will be in portrait mode.

22. pittmvp macrumors newbie

This forum doesn’t deserve you. Great, informative post.

23. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

If there is an X+ model in the works. I personally believe that the next iPhone will not be an "X" at all but the next step up, what ever that is. Anyway, I think that it will be a new model. But as with everything else here that is pure conjecture. Time will tell.
    Probably not as I think that everyone wants a camera (what the notch is for). LOL

24. flat five, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

flat five macrumors 603

flat five

here is an illustrated example showing the screen size difference between 8+ and X:

(note-- there are no CAD drawing or official specs given for the corner curves and notch curves.. so these numbers are based off the true rectangular outline of the X screen but the little curve details may be slightly off as those sections are moreORless traced off of a raster image.. this is how the outline (green) in the following calculations looks when imposed over the raster... maybe a tiny bit off but not enough that i think anyone would be bothered by it.. otherwise, we'll need to wait for official prints to be leaked for deadnutz accuracy)

traced.jpg

-----------------------------------

from the Apple specs:

iPhone 8+ is 1920 x 1080 at 401 ppi...
    1920 ÷ 401 = 4.79" long
    1080 ÷ 401 = 2.69" wide​

iPhone X is 2436 x 1125 at 458 ppi..
    2436 ÷ 458 = 5.32" long
    1125 ÷ 458 = 2.46" wide​

at this point, the X is the larger screen:

Screen Shot 2017-10-06 at 11.43.55 PM.png

once the corners are removed, the sizes get even closer to equal while the X still has the slight edge:

Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 12.02.46 AM.png

if the corners stayed 90º and only the notch was removed, the two screens are basically identical in size:

Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 12.21.14 AM.png

when you remove the area of the notch and the corners, the X then becomes the smaller screen:

Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 12.26.07 AM.png

-------------------------------------------------

so, the 8+ screen size is 12.89 square inches and the X is 12.76 square inches
    a difference of 0.13 sq.in.. to visualize that, it's a 9mm square..

so concluding-- imagine the area of 1cm x 1cm... that is how much smaller the X screen is than 8+... (roughly an app's icon)

[edit] oh.. the regular iPhone 6/7/8 is 9.4 sq.in... in case you're wondering how the X compares to that one)

25. michael31986 macrumors 68040

I mainly use my phone portrait so it’s going to be great.