Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iphoneattack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
Let's be real....you are going to be a insanely jealous if you can't afford the iPhone 5. But jealousy is normal because you are human. Just don't let it consume you.

If the pattern is the indication, the iPhone 5 is going to be very different externally, hopefully bigger, screen wise. Software wise, iOS 6 of course will bring new features, but the majority if not all will be available for your 4S.

So yes, the iPhone 5 will be different and it will make you want to upgrade, but be a responsible adult about the situation and make an informed decision or be an irresponsible adult and just buy it cause you want it. I do the latter every year.

As far as the iPhone looking stone age, I think there is a good chance that that will be be the perception if the iPhone 5 is an external upgrade. For the past two years, we have had this front and back glass design so to have a fresh new look will definitely make the phone kind of old looking, but again, software wise, the 4S will probably be pretty much identical. Internally, the 5 will have upgraded hardware. That's no surprise.

Will iOS 6 work on the 4s?

If so I am happy I got 4s as waiting 5 to 6 months is not worth for a phone with a slightly larger screen, different look (the reason I like the 4s is its look), and 4g lts which is not available from my provider as I live in Australia and there is NO WAY at all i will join with Telstra in my right mind.

Will I be jealous in anyway sure maybe a bit but will I kick myself no not at all

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
This will be interesting because Apple relies on making "one type of phone" with one type of chip set to maximize profits.

If there is an LTE version.

Apple would need like 4 different chip sets. Because the carriers in the USA all run different frequencies in the 700 mhz band.

And we know the European/Austrialans run different LTE bands.

How will Apple do that?

Because in the first 5 generations of iPhones, the iPhone has only been "one" iPhone (obviously with different hard drive sizes but really just one iphone)

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Will iOS 6 work on the 4s?

If so I am happy I got 4s as waiting 5 to 6 months is not worth for a phone with a slightly larger screen, different look (the reason I like the 4s is its look), and 4g lts which is not available from my provider as I live in Australia and there is NO WAY at all i will join with Telstra in my right mind.

Will I be jealous in anyway sure maybe a bit but will I kick myself no not at all

iOS 6 will be compatible with the iPhone 4 and 4S. I don't believe the 3GS will be able to upgrade to 6.

I wouldn't celebrate just yet. You have no idea what Apple has in store next and there is a good chance that the next iPhone will be a serious upgrade. Regardless, I'm happy you like your 4S.

Iphoneattack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
iOS 6 will be compatible with the iPhone 4 and 4S. I don't believe the 3GS will be able to upgrade to 6.

I wouldn't celebrate just yet. You have no idea what Apple has in store next and there is a good chance that the next iPhone will be a serious upgrade. Regardless, I'm happy you like your 4S.

I can't imagine any "serious" upgrades besides 4g lte

What else can they do that they already haven't with the 4s

Front camera? Check
FaceTime? Check
Siri? Check

Maybe a 3D feature or something? But that is not something that big of a deal. Well at least for me. The more I think of it I doubt anyone would want to use a phone in "3D", unless maybe playing a game, but that might require a iOS that is not compatible with the last 2 iPhones and I doubt apple would want to screw loyal customers who bought a 4s by having a iOS that is incompatible with it

I also highly doubt it will have a laser keyboard lol or whatever these concept videos are predicting

Last edited:

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland

Front camera? Check
FaceTime? Check
Siri? Check

Maybe a 3D feature or something? But that is not something that big of a deal. Well at least for me.

I highly doubt it will have a laser keyboard lol or whatever these concept videos are predicting

A5X is a pretty large bump in GPU if it gets one.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007

Front camera? Check
FaceTime? Check
Siri? Check

Maybe a 3D feature or something? But that is not something that big of a deal. Well at least for me. The more I think of it I doubt anyone would want to use a phone in "3D", unless maybe playing a game, but that might require a iOS that is not compatible with the last 2 iPhones and I doubt apple would want to screw loyal customers who bought a 4s by having a iOS that is incompatible with it

I also highly doubt it will have a laser keyboard lol or whatever these concept videos are predicting

A larger screen would be considered a 'serious' upgrade by many. The front camera can become 2 MP. The backcamera 10 MP. A faster processor. FaceTime over 4G? A stronger backing that is curved and super light.

There is a ton of room for improvement. I'm sorry but if you think you are all set with your 4S and nothing more than LTE is coming this fall, I think you are mistaken. I'm not implying you made a mistake getting your 4S, but I think you'll be surprised by what an upgrade the next iPhone will be.

Iphoneattack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
A larger screen would be considered a 'serious' upgrade by many. The front camera can become 2 MP. The backcamera 10 MP. A faster processor. FaceTime over 4G? A stronger backing that is curved and super light.

There is a ton of room for improvement. I'm sorry but if you think you are all set with your 4S and nothing more than LTE is coming this fall, I think you are mistaken. I'm not implying you made a mistake getting your 4S, but I think you'll be surprised by what an upgrade the next iPhone will be.

No I know there will be more than just LTE but my question is will it be something "revolutionary" but sadly so far 2 extra megapixels, a slightly bigger screen and a curved backing doesn't cut the cake for me and I am sure no one considers anything besides LTE to be revolutionary

----------

I also have studied a bit about iPhones in the past week a d I notice that a new iPhone is not like a new Nokia, Samsung or any other brands. All 5 generations have basically been the same phone with a slight adjustment. So it is like saying
although Ben has a 3GS, Rob has a 4 and John has a 4s, all three of them have an iPhone.

It's not like saying Ben has a Motorola c650 and Rob has a V3 razr, which are obviously two completely separate phones besides being the same brand

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
No I know there will be more than just LTE but my question is will it be something "revolutionary" but sadly so far 2 extra megapixels, a slightly bigger screen and a curved backing doesn't cut the cake for me and I am sure no one considers anything besides LTE to be revolutionary

----------

I also have studied a bit about iPhones in the past week a d I notice that a new iPhone is not like a new Nokia, Samsung or any other brands. All 5 generations have basically been the same phone with a slight adjustment. So it is like saying
although Ben has a 3GS, Rob has a 4 and John has a 4s, all three of them have an iPhone.

It's not like saying Ben has a Motorola c650 and Rob has a V3 razr, which are obviously two completely separate phones besides being the same brand

'Revolutionary' is a pretty vague term mate. The improvments I mentioned can potentially make the next iPhone a serious improvement over the 4S. Only you can decide if said improvements will cause you buyer's remorse or not.

Furthermore, or more importantly, Apple could have something up their sleeve with respect to a feature that we are completely in the dark about right now. So really speculating in April/May of 2012 about whether or not the next iPhone is going to be hugely different or not is pretty silly. I feel like you are trying to talk yourself into the fact that what you'll see come fall will not be enough to make you have buyer's remorse. Maybe it won't be, but you won't know until the next iPhone keynote.

Iphoneattack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
'Revolutionary' is a pretty vague term mate. The improvments I mentioned can potentially make the next iPhone a serious improvement over the 4S. Only you can decide if said improvements will cause you buyer's remorse or not.

Furthermore, or more importantly, Apple could have something up their sleeve with respect to a feature that we are completely in the dark about right now. So really speculating in April/May of 2012 about whether or not the next iPhone is going to be hugely different or not is pretty silly. I feel like you are trying to talk yourself into the fact that what you'll see come fall will not be enough to make you have buyer's remorse. Maybe it won't be, but you won't know until the next iPhone keynote.

Yeah kind off

But So far most if not all of the features listed on here by forum members are not anything I would be ecstatic over and if I asked this wuestion before buying my 4s and got the same response I probably would still have bought the 4s as the predicted features for the iPhone 5 are not a big deal for me and I probably won't be able to afford the seemingly unimpressive (IMO!!) iPhone5 in the first couple of months

I am on a virgin 24 months plan where I pay 48 per month, and usually when a iPhone comes out the first few months all the carriers charge around 60 to 70 dollars* per month in Australia

* Australian dollars are roughly the same value as USD

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
But you've stated that you wouldn't buy an iPhone with a slightly larger screen even if it does come with 4G LTE. So why is 4G LTE enough to make the droids better than the 4S when a hypothetical new iPhone with 4G LTE and a better screen would be inferior by your standards? Seems like a contradiction to me.

How is the Verizon iPhone any more crippled than the AT&T version?

Hello! Someone has been under a rock for a few years. I have HSPA+ on my iPhone, which is getting 5+mbps with the ability to do simultaneous voice and data (including tethering), while the VeriPhone is struggling for 2mbps on the ancient EVDO network. The VeriPhone is crippled in that it launched on a much older, slower network that wasn't the top Verizon network. LTE isn't nearly as big of a deal on AT&T as it is on Verizon, both because of HSPA+, and because AT&T's LTE coverage is very limited (although they actually have more than Verizon right now in some of my home area). I also don't see much need for LTE when AT&T's HSPA+ network is consistently pulling over 5.5mbps in much of the state, and the peak Speedtests have been creeping upwards to around 6mbps.

The iPhone is 3x faster (actually more like 5 in real world testing) on AT&T than on Verizon. The iPhone was made as an HSPA+ device, the Verizon version is crippled as a result of not running on HSPA+.

Also, the dense urban environment of NYC makes LTE much more valuable, and Verizon is the best carrier there, so if I needed to go there regularly or lived/worked there, I would be on Verizon with 4G LTE.

How? It runs the same speed as any other iPhone out there. 4G LTE isn't everywhere. Why would the iPhone be crippled if I can't even use 4G LTE around where I live?

It runs much slower than the AT&T iPhone. Verizon will be 100% 4G LTE by mid-summer of 2013.

----------

Apple would need like 4 different chip sets. Because the carriers in the USA all run different frequencies in the 700 mhz band.

The chipsets can handle everything. It's the antenna setup. They will do the same thing as the iPad, with the same chipset, but different antennas and amps for each carrier.

I'm not jealous, I could well afford one if I wanted it. Dropping another $400 and a contract slot on a phone that's bigger than the one I have now? No thanks. I'll spend it on an iPad, a Galaxy Nexus for development and traveling, and other electronic toys first, thank you very much. 4G LTE only helps in environments that are so dense they kill HSPA+, but that happens to me like once or twice a year, and in NYC, if I really need to upload that pic to Facebook, I'll just walk a block or two away where the data will creepy-crawl upload it. It's not like I didn't live for years of going outside, or around the corner to get cell service.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Hello! Someone has been under a rock for a few years. I have HSPA+ on my iPhone, which is getting 5+mbps with the ability to do simultaneous voice and data (including tethering), while the VeriPhone is struggling for 2mbps on the ancient EVDO network. The VeriPhone is crippled in that it launched on a much older, slower network that wasn't the top Verizon network. LTE isn't nearly as big of a deal on AT&T as it is on Verizon, both because of HSPA+, and because AT&T's LTE coverage is very limited (although they actually have more than Verizon right now in some of my home area). I also don't see much need for LTE when AT&T's HSPA+ network is consistently pulling over 5.5mbps in much of the state, and the peak Speedtests have been creeping upwards to around 6mbps.

The only place where I've been able to consistently pull 5mbps+ is north jersey. Most other places I go to (central, northeast, and south east PA; NYC area; DC area) I get about 2mbps and 200ms pings; just like Verizon. Lte offers 20mbps consistently; I've gotten as high as 50mbps with the Verizon iPad 3. The AT&T speeds are pathetic compared to that. Not to mention the pings (often below 50 with lte). As Verizon's lte coverage grows, the hspa+ advantage will diminish. The 4S would certainly be inferior to an lte iPhone.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The 4S would certainly be inferior to an lte iPhone.

I am not convinced it would. Certainly LTE pulls some crazy numbers. But what are people using their phones for? Most aren't downloading albums, movies, etc over the air. For browsing, messaging, and social networking 2-5mbps is perfectly adequate IMO.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
I am not convinced it would. Certainly LTE pulls some crazy numbers. But what are people using their phones for? Most aren't downloading albums, movies, etc over the air. For browsing, messaging, and social networking 2-5mbps is perfectly adequate IMO.

Have you never noticed the iPhone feels a lot snappier on wifi than 3G in most cases? LTE offers pings comparable to or better than most wired Internet connections, so that snappiness is there with LTE.

Also in NYC I'm lucky to get 500k. With a much higher upper limit, the speeds should be acceptable even in congested areas.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008

Front camera? Check
FaceTime? Check
Siri? Check

i still think you would of been happy with a 4. The 4s isn't a huge upgrade i think to the 4.
You said you looked at all the other phones and they aren't much different which is totally incorrect. Going from the 3gs to the 4 was the biggest upgrade they ever did. We are set for that type of upgrade again going from the 4s to the 5. That is if apple can pull off the same type of impact the 4 had compared to the 3gs. It was a completely different phone

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
The only place where I've been able to consistently pull 5mbps+ is north jersey. Most other places I go to (central, northeast, and south east PA; NYC area; DC area) I get about 2mbps and 200ms pings; just like Verizon. Lte offers 20mbps consistently; I've gotten as high as 50mbps with the Verizon iPad 3. The AT&T speeds are pathetic compared to that. Not to mention the pings (often below 50 with lte). As Verizon's lte coverage grows, the hspa+ advantage will diminish. The 4S would certainly be inferior to an lte iPhone.

I've had 70 mbs down a long time ago on Verizon's network. But I have see a member on this forum post a 66 mbs down on att's LTE....

Overall they are very similar with Verizon having better coverage...

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
I've had 70 mbs down a long time ago on Verizon's network. But I have see a member on this forum post a 66 mbs down on att's LTE....

Overall they are very similar with Verizon having better coverage...

I agree. But BigAW seems to feel that a 4S on HSPA+ would be comparable to an iPhone 5 on vzw lte. Except in extreme low density areas, HSPA wouldn't hold a candle to lte.

----------

Honestly? No. But I live in podunk Iowa. My tune will probably change when we relocate to Boston next year.

Oh. Well... Yeah, your tune will change. The cell towers are just too saturated in the east. Almost impossible to use 3G in NYC and Long Island except during extreme hours (say 4AM). Even at my parents' house (middle of nowhere PA), the 3G is a lot more sluggish than cable. Changing the APN to wap.cingular sometimes helps though

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut

Connecticut is mostly 3-6mbps (except Fairfield County), Ohio is always insane, even with PCS doing 4-7, New Hampshire is usually like 3, Michigan is 6-8, Boston is around 3. In areas I'm pulling 2-3, Verizon is barely getting over 1. NYC is another story. 3mbps by the Apple store, but data speeds are all over the place. One block it'll pull over 3mpbs, the next one it's pulling 200kbps, and in some spots like Macy's, Times Square, and Rockefeller Center, the data is just totally dead. To me, the speeds are fine, the only upside to LTE would be in the urban core of places like NYC, where HSPA+ is dysfunctional, and I'm assuming EDGE is too (I wasn't JB'ed at the time to be able to force EDGE). Everywhere else, HSPA+ is more than sufficient.

I agree. But BigAW seems to feel that a 4S on HSPA+ would be comparable to an iPhone 5 on vzw lte. Except in extreme low density areas, HSPA wouldn't hold a candle to lte.

Um, no. I said that the EVDO iPhone 4S is a turd bird because it's a lot slower than the AT&T iPhone 4S or Verizon 4G LTE. I also said that I don't see any reason to upgrade to the iPhone 5 on AT&T, because on AT&T, LTE doesn't really matter since HSPA+ is very good in most places (i.e. not Manhattan).

Oh. Well... Yeah, your tune will change. The cell towers are just too saturated in the east. Almost impossible to use 3G in NYC and Long Island except during extreme hours (say 4AM). Even at my parents' house (middle of nowhere PA), the 3G is a lot more sluggish than cable. Changing the APN to wap.cingular sometimes helps though

I know Boston is historically a Verizon stronghold, but I had an excellent experience with AT&T there a few weeks back. Admittedly, I was there on a weekend, although I was in several incredibly crowded tourist traps that would be busier on a weekend, and I was still pulling 3mbps. It was almost weird having AT&T hold up that well in a crowd of iPhone-toting tourists.

It has nothing to do with East/West, it's the density of some cities. SF and the valley has a similar problem, although it's roots are in too many geeks pulling too much data on a network spaced for coverage on 850, not capacity. The East does tend to have older, more dense cities, but some area that are built up like downtown SF also have issues.

Iphoneattack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
i still think you would of been happy with a 4. The 4s isn't a huge upgrade i think to the 4.
You said you looked at all the other phones and they aren't much different which is totally incorrect. Going from the 3gs to the 4 was the biggest upgrade they ever did. We are set for that type of upgrade again going from the 4s to the 5. That is if apple can pull off the same type of impact the 4 had compared to the 3gs. It was a completely different phone

Not all numerical upgrades were big

2g to 3G upgrade was just the 3G coverage the 4s to 5 might be the same

Iphoneattack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
And the impact from 3GS to 4 were obvious ones like the front camera, FaceTime etc

But I can't honestly think of anything groundbreaking or revolutionary that apple can do

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
And the impact from 3GS to 4 were obvious ones like the front camera, FaceTime etc

But I can't honestly think of anything groundbreaking or revolutionary that apple can do

If you (we) could just think of it it wouldn't be all that groundbreaking or revolutionary now would it? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.