Will the Verizon iPhone 6 be able to surf and talk at the same time?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by determined09, Mar 2, 2014.

1. determined09 macrumors 65816

determined09

Will the next verizon Iphone 6 be able to surf and talk at the same time? Does anyone know anything about this? Will iphone 6 be able to do a conference call like up to 5 callers on one phone call?

thank you

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

3. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

Doubt we will know much of anything until it's been released and Verizon users can confirm it if it can or not. That's something that they won't go over at the reveal of the device.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Apple needs to put two separate antennas in the iPhone for it to do simultaneous voice and data on Verizon. One to connect to 1x and one to connect to LTE. I have a feeling that they wont do this since they haven't done it yet - and because it is more efficient to have a single antenna. Who knows though, maybe they'll be able to do something about it. I just think that its unlikely that this is a priority on their list of things to do. A good majority of the iPhones that Apple sells are GSM and they don't have a problem with the current setup.

As for the conference call issue, that's a limitation on Verizon's (CDMA) network. It might change when they do voLTE, but they aren't doing that right now or any time soon. I would say that this is almost a definite no.

5. CEmajr macrumors 601

Doubtful. I don't think Apple is going to add an extra antenna just to accommodate 2 carriers in one country because their networks aren't capable of this feature.

6. cinematicme macrumors member

cinematicme

It dynamically switches networks based on what your doing, 2 antennas wouldn't make sense.

LTE needs voice transport, plain and simple. A

7. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I doubt Apple will add the extra antenna when Verizon has already announced they're working on getting Voice Over LTE setup (I don't remember the exact time frame they said, but I expect by next year for some progress to be made). Makes no sense for Apple to add the extra antenna when Verizon is already working on a more ideal solution.

8. SoIsays macrumors regular

No. It is too costly to apple and verizon's bottom line to provide a service that that the customers haven't clamored for.

9. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

It is pointless now for Apple to do it...Within the next year AT&T and Verizon will be rolling out VoLTE so these will not be needed anymore. Of course they will need to keep the ability to switch back to the 3g/4g networks for voice calling if LTE signal fails. But for the most part we are coming up on where everything is going to be done over LTE.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    Not until Volte comes out but that could take a while.
    Apple wont add additional hardware, size and less battery life on their phone line app just for 1-2 particular carriers.
    It will likely stay like it is now and cdma users will just keep telling themselves its a feature they don't care about anyway:D

11. I7guy macrumors G5

Ill deal with it as i have a grandfathered unlimited data plan.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Up to you.
    I have one too with AT&T. And even though I get can get throttled after 5GB's they still let me upgrade and get subsidized priced iphones without losing my unlimited data plan.

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The iPhone 5 and 5s are technically capable of it now. Verizon needs to deploy VoLTE however, for it to work.

This is entirely a network limitation, and not something Apple can compensate for no matter how many antennas they put in the thing. It's possible that this could be supported on VoLTE. IT depends on just how backward compatible Verizon's VoLTE ends up being with CDMA. My guess is you probably won't see this ability on Verizon for a really, really long time.

14. I7guy macrumors G5

I'll buy the phones at full retail, no biggie, no throttling. :)

----------

Verizon was quoted as 2013, so I suspect shortly it will just be there; as opposed to a "really, really, long time".

15. determined09 thread starter macrumors 65816

determined09

You're correct. In the meanwhile, my co-worker told me that if I turn on my wifi that while on a phone call, I can also surf the internet at the same time. :D

16. scaredpoet, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

*looks at calendar* Yeah, and how did that work out for ya? :)

In any case, I'm sure VoLTE is coming. Conferencing with up to 5 people, which is what the OP was asking about? I highly doubt that will happen anytime soon. Verizon would basically have to be okay with no CDMA fallback on VoLTE calls, and a difference in feature availability between the CDMA and LTE networks for voice. LTE, on ANY network, has a very long way to go before it can stand on its own without a fallback from its predecessor networks. Even Verizon's alleged "substantially complete" LTE network (which is hardly the case if they still have to refarm spectrum in 2015) is far from ready to ditch CDMA.

So, I doubt Verizon will be ready to go this route until they finally start sunsetting CDMA, which is still years out. And believe me, I more than anyone else would be really happy to see CDMA finally go. It's had its day and has worn out its welcome.

17. I7guy macrumors G5

My guess is they are closer than farther. Verizon is fairly aggressive with it's network. Since we can't speak for them, it's a waiting game at this point.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You'd be waiting for a while;)

19. determined09 thread starter macrumors 65816

determined09

It's all good.

20. I7guy macrumors G5

I'm good. I'm not going anywhere. When I'm not within wifi, with my ipad, it's almost as good as surf and talk at the same time anyway.

21. determined09 thread starter macrumors 65816

determined09

True that!!

22. I7guy macrumors G5

Actually it's better than a phone due to the screen size. #

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:D
    Off-course you're good, who in their right mind would want that feature?
    Its no big deal, you'll never use it anyway:p

24. determined09 thread starter macrumors 65816

determined09

Okay. I see your point. But I'm still hoping that will work on the next coming IPhone 6.

25. I7guy macrumors G5

15 years without it simultaneous voice and data on VZW. At this point I really don't care about it. As I said, either I'm on wifi or my ipad is with me. I double apple will accommodate this feature with two antennae on the iphone 6.

They could of course surprise us, but I don't see it.