Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will there be a MPB 16 refresh in 2020?

  • In April-May

    Votes: 3 3.0%
  • In June (WWDC)

    Votes: 23 23.0%
  • By the end of August-September

    Votes: 12 12.0%
  • In an October Event

    Votes: 33 33.0%
  • No, they will wait until 2021

    Votes: 33 33.0%

  • Total voters
    100

Derrida

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2020
6
0
First of all, this is my first post so I'm very happy to participate in this community!

I know this topic has been already on the forum, but after all the CV19 events and the many hardware issues that the MBP 16'' seems to have, do you think it is possible that Apple announces a refresh (better cpu, fixed issues and maybe the mini-led screen)?

I'm currently writing my PhD on a MBP with butterfly keyboard and it is an obnoxious experience.. I have to many keys that are stuck and some of them have the double letter problem.. It is really annoying to keep checking if I have left a letter. I could buy the current version but I think that it's better to wait for the refresh and fixed version.

Please, share with my your research, your guesses and your predictions! (-:
 

dawindmg08

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2008
178
76
Los Angeles
Interested in this too. For myself though, I feel like I need the 16" now and I can't wait until later this year. I'm also guessing that a new model will have only a modest bump in specs, unless they suddenly announce a hard pivot towards AMD or ARM processors late in the year. If anything I would say that Covid-19 has disrupted any and all rollout plans.
 

Derrida

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2020
6
0
I think that the current MBP 16 is a great machine. I'm not looking forward to the specs bump really. Just want to make sure that those little annoying issues are fixed (clicking speakers, coil whine, fans turning on unnecessarily..) and it would be nuts if the go for the miniled.

I read that they won't probably start testing their ARM processors in the pro line-up as they are still not comparable speed wise with the top Intel processors, my guess is a mba or mb 12-13inches with a mixed architecture.

Let me know if you go ahead with the 2019 version!
 
Last edited:

algoy

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2020
6
1
Yes, of course it will be updated. When? well, we dont know, that´s all we know right now. If it fits you, i would take the mbp with butterfly keyboard to Apple in order to fix it, sell it, and buy that 16 rmbp!
 

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
8,959
7,117
Perth, Western Australia
Yes it will be updated
No it won't be major

... because Intel have nothing significant for them to include that actually improves anything.

expect 100-200mhz faster CPUs, maybe a 10 core that is just as thermally constrained as the current 8 core and doesn't really perform any better.

IMHO if you're planning to upgrade to a 16" machine in the next 12 months you may as well buy now, because there isn't much different coming.
 

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
1,377
1,417
I guess it will be updated in 1 year after initial release. Especially Intel's next 10 gen CPU is only announced in April and due to the COV is not available yet. They have only clock speed bump, which is irrelevant with MBP 16 thermal ceiling.
Also Apple is reluctant at updating laptops with newest chips. So rolling out update model, which is based on 6 month old CPU is pretty OK situation for an Apple.
Mini-Led is not ready. So no major upgrades on MBP 16.
I would buy now and start enjoying it, since it will not be outdated for next 2 years.
 
  • Like
Reactions: throAU

Derrida

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2020
6
0
Yes, of course it will be updated. When? well, we dont know, that´s all we know right now. If it fits you, i would take the mbp with butterfly keyboard to Apple in order to fix it, sell it, and buy that 16 rmbp!
My mbp is out of warranty so I don't think it would be worth it to pay for the repair and then try to sell it..
[automerge]1586934214[/automerge]
Yes it will be updated
No it won't be major

... because Intel have nothing significant for them to include that actually improves anything.

expect 100-200mhz faster CPUs, maybe a 10 core that is just as thermally constrained as the current 8 core and doesn't really perform any better.

IMHO if you're planning to upgrade to a 16" machine in the next 12 months you may as well buy now, because there isn't much different coming.
One of my main concerns are the hardware issues.. I am still unconvinced about getting a device that is having so much problems.. I could wait until October if they fix them. I will wait until June and then make a decision, im afraid.
 
Last edited:

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
8,959
7,117
Perth, Western Australia
One of my main concerns are the hardware issues.. I am still unconvinced about getting a device that is having so much problems.. I could wait until October if they fix them. I will wait until June and then make a decision, im afraid.

Given how long it took them to fix the butterfly keyboard (and that was a major problem, not just a minor annoyance), you could be waiting a while.

Other than coil whine they're all software fixable (and from what I've read about them I feel overblown).

Coil whine is luck of the draw. Even amongst supposedly identical design devices, some will whine, some won't.

I'd buy one now, and if it gets bad coil whine, return it.
 

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016
555
551
Japan
My mbp is out of warranty so I don't think it would be worth it to pay for the repair and then try to sell it..
If it's just the butterfly keyboard, then you're covered by the replacement program for 4 years from the initial sale of your unit, so it would come at no cost for you. The real issue right now might be getting it done: the normal turnaround time was a few days, but with Apple Stores being closed because of COV you'd have to mail your unit and the waiting times could be much longer.
 

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
3,117
2,755
Bought mine last week. Intel just announced a new generation of CPU and I guess it will take a few months for Apple to add them to the 16". Besides, refurbished models have a good price so I thought it was better to save money and get the late 19 model instead of waiting. I'm working from home, like many of us do, so it was a great time to buy a new laptop.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Saliency

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
73,599
43,594
Why wouldn't they? I mean they refresh the MBP almost yearly so we should expect something late 2020
 

algoy

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2020
6
1
My mbp is out of warranty so I don't think it would be worth it to pay for the repair and then try to sell it..
[automerge]1586934214[/automerge]

One of my main concerns are the hardware issues.. I am still unconvinced about getting a device that is having so much problems.. I could wait until October if they fix them. I will wait until June and then make a decision, im afraid.
The Butterfly keyboard issue is covered under an extended warranty! 5 years from the date of purchase if im not wrong.
 

DanMan619

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2012
213
157
Los Angeles, CA
Yes it will be updated
No it won't be major

... because Intel have nothing significant for them to include that actually improves anything.

expect 100-200mhz faster CPUs, maybe a 10 core that is just as thermally constrained as the current 8 core and doesn't really perform any better.

IMHO if you're planning to upgrade to a 16" machine in the next 12 months you may as well buy now, because there isn't much different coming.


One aspect that may be worth waiting for is the potential Mini-LED screen (assuming they do end up putting that in this year and don't wait for 2021). If it's higher resolution/4K, has HDR and high refresh rate options and doesn't have major problems; to me that would personally be worth waiting for. All they have to do is spec bump the 2019 16" but drop the Mini-LED screen in with slightly even slimmer bezels and i'd grab one of those up in an instant. Would be an ideal machine to ride out the transition from Intel to ARM with.
 

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
8,959
7,117
Perth, Western Australia
One aspect that may be worth waiting for is the potential Mini-LED screen. If it's higher resolution/4K, has HDR and high refresh rate options; to me that would personally be worth waiting for. All they have to do is spec bump the 2019 16" but drop the Mini-LED screen in with slightly even slimmer bezels and i'd grab one of those up in an instant. Would be an ideal machine to ride out the transition from Intel to ARM with.


That's a lot of IFs, there are no "we must be close to a new machine" leaked things about a new 16" just yet. Apple only just did a major update last year, I very much doubt they will include something like the new screen so soon to be honest. They would have recently bulk purchased x million 16" displays for the current model to run out first.

I suspect you won't see some update of that magnitude for at least another 12-18 months.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ctjack

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
8,959
7,117
Perth, Western Australia
Is there an Apple roadmap available for the MacBook Pro line that shows the release date and details of every spec bump and redesign year over year?

Nope, apple keep this as secret as they can. Hence the regular Mac Pro/Mac mini threads regarding whether or not apple will ever update those products.

If you follow the semiconductor industry you can make educated guesses based on parts that either current or potential suppliers (e.g., Intel, AMD and Nvidia) have in the pipe (e.g., Apple's refresh will generally trail an intel product launch, but not always), but that's about it.

Because Apple. Screw people making business purchasing decisions and wondering whether or not there will be appropriate machines to upgrade to in 6 months time, or even if next week's machine will retain compatibility with the current model's peripherals :D
 

foliage

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2018
21
12
Is there an Apple roadmap available for the MacBook Pro line that shows the release date and details of every spec bump and redesign year over year?

Here are the release dates that I’ve compiled with interim times for the 15” since the release of the first retina MBP in 2012. A WWDC June release would be 7 months on from the Nov release of the 16” which is not implausible.

11/06/12 - 13/02/13 (+8m) - 22/10/13 (+8m) - 29/07/14 (+9m) - 19/5/15 (+10m) - 12/11/16 (+18m, redesign and intel stuck on 14nm) - 05/06/17 (+7m) - 12/07/18 (+13m) - 21/05/19 (+10m) - 13/11/19 (+6m)

Edit - reasons to support a sooner rather than later release include the recent availability of Intel 10th gen (14nm still) 45W H processors. Interestingly Apple could go down the AMD route given the recent Renoir/Van Gogh coding found in Catalina betas, and that the newly released AMD 4900HS consumes way less power than current Flagship Intel H processors with performance parity / improvements. Think much better battery life. Also re Thunderbolt 3, in Feb Intel certified AMD TB3 motherboards so Apple has its options open wrt processor choice this year.
 
Last edited:

Derrida

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2020
6
0
Here are the release dates that I’ve compiled with interim times for the 15” since the release of the first retina MBP in 2012. A WWDC June release would be 7 months on from the Nov release of the 16” which is not implausible.

11/06/12 - 13/02/13 (+8m) - 22/10/13 (+8m) - 29/07/14 (+9m) - 19/5/15 (+10m) - 12/11/16 (+18m, redesign and intel stuck on 14nm) - 05/06/17 (+7m) - 12/07/18 (+13m) - 21/05/19 (+10m) - 13/11/19 (+6m)

Edit - reasons to support a sooner rather than later release include the recent availability of Intel 10th gen (14nm still) 45W H processors. Interestingly Apple could go down the AMD route given the recent Renoir/Van Gogh coding found in Catalina betas, and that the newly released AMD 4900HS consumes way less power than current Flagship Intel H processors with performance parity / improvements. Think much better battery life. Also re Thunderbolt 3, in Feb Intel certified AMD TB3 motherboards so Apple has its options open wrt processor choice this year.
So you'd bet that we might see a refresh by June. Maybe that's my way to go, wait until June and then decide..
 

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
3,890
1,915
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Here are the release dates that I’ve compiled with interim times for the 15” since the release of the first retina MBP in 2012. A WWDC June release would be 7 months on from the Nov release of the 16” which is not implausible.

11/06/12 - 13/02/13 (+8m) - 22/10/13 (+8m) - 29/07/14 (+9m) - 19/5/15 (+10m) - 12/11/16 (+18m, redesign and intel stuck on 14nm) - 05/06/17 (+7m) - 12/07/18 (+13m) - 21/05/19 (+10m) - 13/11/19 (+6m)

Edit - reasons to support a sooner rather than later release include the recent availability of Intel 10th gen (14nm still) 45W H processors. Interestingly Apple could go down the AMD route given the recent Renoir/Van Gogh coding found in Catalina betas, and that the newly released AMD 4900HS consumes way less power than current Flagship Intel H processors with performance parity / improvements. Think much better battery life. Also re Thunderbolt 3, in Feb Intel certified AMD TB3 motherboards so Apple has its options open wrt processor choice this year.

Great work!

I knew someone out there could do, or had it...

Thanks!
 

socialwill

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2014
218
411
My thoughts on a 2020 updates for the 16” MBP:
  • Intel 10th Gen
  • WiFi 6
  • Upgraded Web Cam
  • Anything new hardware wise that the 13/14” MBP gets
Overall I would think it would be a minor update as they just did a bigger design change a few months ago but I think they would like to have the Pro line at the same release schedule again.
 

DanMan619

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2012
213
157
Los Angeles, CA
That's a lot of IFs, there are no "we must be close to a new machine" leaked things about a new 16" just yet. Apple only just did a major update last year, I very much doubt they will include something like the new screen so soon to be honest. They would have recently bulk purchased x million 16" displays for the current model to run out first.

I suspect you won't see some update of that magnitude for at least another 12-18 months.

I agree it is a lot of ifs, i didn't say it's a guarantee at all. But that's what rumor/leaks from the usual credible sources have been pointing to that most if not all those things are within a year or so away (Mini-LED was speculated to be in the cards for end of 2020/early 2021, similar speculated/leaked time frame for ARM hitting a non-Pro Mac). And if you don't need to buy a machine right this moment. Then for me there's no harm in waiting to see what happens. That was pre-pandemic though. The bigger unknown at this point is how the pandemic situation is or isn't effecting the Apple's release schedule and ability to get parts in the numbers they're used to getting them.
 
  • Like
Reactions: foliage
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.