Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you buy an iPhone 8 / Edition at a minimum price of $999

• No

Votes: 35 36.5%
  • Yes

Votes: 61 63.5%

• Total voters

DieterV

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2015
I'll pay this for next year's plus model.. not paying it for this year's hype train.
There is always going to be some kind of hype for a new iPhone. If the rumors are true about the iPhone 8, and apple brings some nice UI for the bezel less screen. I am definitely going to buy the top model.

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Except its costing 1k for 64gb!

But the point is that people are already used to spending $1k on an iPhone. I paid $930 with tax in CA for my 6S+ 64GB. So it's not as big of a deal as some people are making it out to be. There will be cheap iPhones and expensive iPhones to choose from.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It'll depend what the carriers decide to do in regards to deals on contract. The vast majority of people do not buy handsets outright due to it being such a large initial payment. People like to spread it over 24 months but this is where the carriers got greedy last time. It's part of the reason the iPhone 7 sold so poorly in my country last year.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
If it's too expensive, I have no problem waiting it out another year, and either buying this year's model then, or buying the "lower end" if this year's higher end fills that slot....if that makes sense. I still have an iPhone 6+, and I am in no rush to loose my headphone jack.

I certainly won't buy a "7S". It's going to look archaic next to the bezelless design.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Apparently the New York Times are saying that the entry-level iphone 8 will be priced at $999.
Right now, the most expensive iPhone you can buy costs $969 in the US: the iPhone 7 Plus in 256 GB size. If the $999 price for the 64 GB iPhone 8 is correct, the 256 GB mid-tier model would likely come in at $1100. This represents a $130 price increase year-over-year.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I bought a 7plus with every intention of upgrading but i think if i am going to pony up the bucks i want to wait a generation and let the new tech get its shakedown cruise. I have a 256gb 7plus more than enough phone to wait another year, plus i really like the 7 its been a fantastic phone

ssrij

Suspended
Dec 16, 2016
United Kingdom
$1K is what my 256 7 Plus cost me so no I don't have an issue with paying that. plus with the carrier payments only around 40 per month its not that bad.

Yes, same cost, but different storage. You paid $1k to get 256GB storage, probably because you need that much storage, either at present or in the foreseeable future. For the same price, you will get an OLED iPhone, but with only 1/3rd storage (64GB), which means you will have to pay $200-300 extra to get 256GB.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I can see the iPhone 8 being a bit of a flop in the UK due to our current weak pound. It's going to have to be well over £1000 to be relative to other countries and I can't see that being at all popular. To be honest I think all phones are going to hit a struggle here in the next few months.

There are a lot of people here and on other tech sites saying they won't pay that much so I wouldn't assume everybody is going to change their mind once they see the phone. You might be happy paying however much it may be, but not everybody is as enthusiastic. Whenever I've mentioned the rumoured price to family, friends and colleagues, the reaction has mostly be a chuckle and a denial that the cost is realistic. I think the 7S will be the most popular and will prop up the potentially impressive profits Apple will get. I doubt we'll see a breakdown for how many units that are sold, much like the Apple Watch.

I can't remember this much fuss being made in the past over iPhone pricing. Times have changed and the smartphone market is full of healthy options.

It'll depend what the carriers decide to do in regards to deals on contract. The vast majority of people do not buy handsets outright due to it being such a large initial payment. People like to spread it over 24 months but this is where the carriers got greedy last time. It's part of the reason the iPhone 7 sold so poorly in my country last year.

Have you seen this article on the BBC? Seems like us Brits are beginning to think twice about upgrading our smartphones to the latest models.

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
I just wait for ATT to come out with a deal. I paid $0 plus apple memory tax to go from my iPhone 6 to iPhone 7. If ATT does that again, I might go to an 8, but it depends on what is upgraded. ATT essentially charges me the 25 a month, then credits me 25 for the phone...nice deal.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
I know EUR is worth more than USD, so why the Note 8 is 960 USD, but 999 EUR? Shouldn't it be 815 EUR?
1) Europeans spend more money on smartphones.
2) Companies hedge against currency changes over long periods of time to minimize risk.

DieterV

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2015
I know EUR is worth more than USD, so why the Note 8 is 960 USD, but 999 EUR? Shouldn't it be 815 EUR?
I could be wrong. But the 999€ is with taxes. And the 960$ is without taxes, because a lot of states have different taxrates, so they mention the price without taxes.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
Well, with NYT saying it's $1k, it's pretty much solidified that they are doing the same thing they did to the iPad line. It'll be a PRO line and let the low end rot or throw it a bone every once in awhile.

Sad because the updates use to replace the old at the same price point but good ole' penny pincher Tim always looking for more ways to nickel and dime the consumer.
[doublepost=1503619431][/doublepost]
So 999$ for the base 64gb iPhone 8. So it will probably be 1099$ for the 256gb iPhone 8. And 1299$ for the top 512gb iPhone. I say this because for the iPad pro the jump from 256gb to 512gb is 200$. Shut up and take my kidney!!

I highly doubt they're going to give you 192GB for for only $100. I'm going to say that they're going to charge $150 extra for 256 and maybe another $200-300 for the 512.

Reactions: LoveToMacRumors

xmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2016
CA
Without some kind of groundbreaking thing like TouchID under the screen I don't see any reason to pay that much for this phone. From all the rumors it doesn't sound like they're gonna deliver on their full vision so why should I pay extra for some compromised phone instead of waiting a year for them to get it right? Slim bezels, OLED, and whatever fancy camera they have should be standard across the line at this point, not some "premium" model. Mind your competition, Apple.

The real question to me is if the 8 is too expensive for people, what's gonna drive them to get a 7S over a discounted 7? Wireless charging where you'll still have to buy some expensive dock on top of the phone price? I don't think so. The 7S may be the worst selling iPhone in awhile...

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I highly doubt they're going to give you 192GB for for only $100. I'm going to say that they're going to charge $150 extra for 256 and maybe another $200-300 for the 512.
For iPad Pro, upgrade pricing is as follows:
64GB Base
256GB +$100
512GB +$200 (+$300 from Base)

I think they'll just follow the same upgrade pricing tiers for iPhone storage.

Reactions: drewyboy

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
$999 is ridiculous. I am just planning to buy a LG G6 or V30 because both devices are comparable to the iPhone 8 with small bezels, 18:9 aspect ratio, high screen resolution, water resistance, facial detection, quick charge, wireless charging.

I am not spending a possible rent check type all at once or over the course of 24 months.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
I am not spending a possible rent check type all at once or over the course of 24 months.

that's why a lot of Americans are using the 24 (or 12?) months plan. Pay about $40 a month instead the full $1000 in one time.
For some psychological reason(s) people think its not that much anymore.

Apple doing some nice marketing 101 there! ;)

(but a very smart move by Apple ofcourse..)

jev425

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Seattle, WA
I will either go through my carrier with a 12 month upgrade option or wait for them to show up on swappa for a bit cheaper than full price

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
that's why a lot of Americans are using the 24 (or 12?) months plan. Pay about $40 a month instead the full $1000 in one time.
For some psychological reason(s) people think its not that much anymore.

Apple doing some nice marketing 101 there! ;)

(but a very smart move by Apple ofcourse..)

I am going to buy a LG G6 and be done with it because it's not worth wasting $ on the 8.

Reactions: Geert76

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I hadn't seen that article, thanks for sharing. It backs up my personal experiences too with what many of the people I know have been saying.

I doubt many people here will believe it though.
Arguably, the ROI is becoming less and less as mCPU manufacturers have less and less speed bumps due to hitting the theoretical walls of processor development, specifically in the mobile sphere. Too fast causes excessive heat and battery usage. I feel this is where Apple has a leg up on Android. The apps under iOS are more refined and streamlined in the back end, thus they perform very well on a three year old iPhone, where a mid-range $300 Android from that time would suffer if the same app was available on the Google store. I feel that Android needs a Renaissance Period of code refinement to be faster. Can't keep chucking RAM and faster multi-core processors at a problem and expect them to go away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.