Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deadeyeshark

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
England
Nothing about the TPM requirement to run Windows 11? I suppose this makes it not possible to install Windows 11 through bootcamp or even virtualisation on a Mac? I imagine there will be a workaround eventually.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Ehh, I dunno. This could be another version of windows to "skip", as Microsoft has had this good, bad, good, bad streak for a looong time now...

98 good, ME bad, XP good, Vista Bad, 7 good, 8 bad, 10 good, 11 bad?
There have been multiple versions of Windows 10. Just because they all say Windows 10 doesn't mean they're the same. It's similar to how there have been multiple versions of OS X.

IceStormNG

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Nothing about the TPM requirement to run Windows 11? I suppose this makes it not possible to install Windows 11 through bootcamp or even virtualisation on a Mac? I imagine there will be a workaround eventually.
VMware's virtualization softwares can virtualize TPM. And I'm sure others might do the same.

Macs don't have and never had TPM.

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
Intel is desperate and talked with microsft to make arm apps to work on win11...i bet the emulation will be around 60% perf

• Haha
Reactions: wilhoitm

4look4rd

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2009
Does Microsoft charge 30% on any purchase.
Yes and no. If you use their payment processor they will charge 30%, but you can list your app in their app store and use the payment processor of your choice without any additional fees from Microsoft. It’s actually a really good approach and a direct jab at Apple.

Reactions: jk1221

bobenhaus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
1) That's cool and all, but Microsoft can't even figure out how to do a reliable livestream so I gave up on trying to watch it. Classic Microsoft. This is why I stick with Macs and other Apple products.
2) If you thought Apple's keynotes were over the top, they don't hold a candle to the cheesiness of the Microsoft keynote. Gag me.

Sorry but that just show how many people around the world wanted to watch the presentation. YUUUGE!

Reactions: bobcomer

radus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2009
Did they choose the Amazon-App-Store because Google is not in the Chinese-Market?

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
What a mistake. Android apps are poor, and Android “tablet” apps (which would make the most sense to use on a desktop) are outright terrible.

Frankly, even iOS apps on M1 macOS wasn’t even a good idea.
I know it's only one example, but I have an Insta360 camera. The desktop app is quite poor, but the phone app is excellent. I look forward to seeing how the phone app works on my Surface Pro 7.
I would also say the phone version of Facebook is better than the website, for most uses, and there are several small photography apps (dof calculators etc) that I use regularly that are simply not available for desktop.

I was planning a move back to Macs from Windows later this year or when the M1X/M2 processors come out but this new Windows 11 gives me pause for thought. I've changed my position from "definitely changing - it's just a matter if when" to "wait and see"

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
No word on multi-silicon support. This does not bode well for wanting all operating systems on an Apple Mx machine.
FWIW, the PC Health Check app says that my Windows 10 ARM VM won't run Windows 11. I wonder if Corel will work out a licensing arrangement with Microsoft to enable Windows 11 to run on M1 Macs through Parallels Desktop.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Didn't Apple once promise IOS apps working on Macs, even INTEL macs before Apple Silicon was announced? Looks like Microsoft has beat them already again. How is that closed market strategy working for you Apple? For iPhone yeah, but not so much the Mac. :(
No, they never promised iOS apps working on Intel Macs. They have made it easier for developers to port iOS apps to the Mac.

Atlantico

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
BCN
This is certainly the most Apple-like I've ever seen Microsoft. Intel/AMD started to add TPM support to CPUs from 2014 and later.

So, more or less all CPUs older than 2015 or so, are definitely not supported by Windows 11.

It's a rather arbitrary requirement, and does ensure the uptake of Windows 11 will be far slower than Windows 10.

Of the x86, Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge CPUs are therefore not supported. They're powerful enough to run W11, they just don't have TPM and only Ryzen CPUs from AMD will be able to run W11.

A brave choice, Microsoft.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Logically, Microsoft would partner with the Google Play Store to offer Android apps on its platforms. However, the company is taking a different route, partnering with Amazon to open Windows 11 to Android apps. As reported by The Verge, users will search for an Android app offered through the Amazon app marketplace directly within the newly redesigned Microsoft App Store.
Something fishy there. This verge feedback deserves investigation.
pj_camp
Amazon’s app store? So the Next Big Thing is that I can use apps that direct me to Amazon purchases no matter what I am doing? Unless there is a way to sideload from the Play Store, this is just marketing ******** that I’m sure Amazon paid a pretty penny for.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
Does Microsoft charge 30% on any purchase.
Used to. Still do on Xbox. With Win11 it’s 12% if you use MS’s payment system or devs can use their own. Deliberate shot at Apple and Google.
Macos and iOS has not changed even last year the slight re design wasn’t big enough, this year the iOS and macos is so minor I think it’s time to get more excited over windows I never thought I would say that

Microsoft moved the taskbar & start menu to the centre, added widgets and made the corners round….. doesn’t constitute much of a redesign…..

NIKKG

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2012
Except you have to pay the MS tax for software and more for hardware, not to mention its not the play store but Amazon. Chrome OS will be alive and strong i feel. Not sure what MS was hoping for here other then to try and be Chrome OS but a lesser version...
Well, i wonder if you can side load the Play store as well as well as other apps and not just rely on the Amazon store. Not sure how this is gonna work out yet until we get more information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.