Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GetSwole37

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I went to Apple Store and was underwhelmed. Granted I own a 7+ so the phone doesn't offer much of an upgrade. Even the rep I talked to wasn't trying to BS me upsell me like they do when they unveil them.

I think the X will sell out on release but not necessarily mean it's a success. The limited quantity will be a factor. Apple really needed to skip the 8 and made the X and Xplus.

Reactions: Dopestar

Emathieu

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
For those with a 7, I’d agree, not much to see here. Although I wouldn’t call it a bad release, much less the “worst”. But me coming from a 6s it is a huge upgrade. I also wasn’t sure about going with the plus, but I’m glad I did. I guess I should have gotten a plus back when I got the 6s, as I really like it.

mdawid

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
I walked by my local AT&T store about 5 pm tonight and there were literally 2 customers in the whole store. Pretty much a non-event product launch. No real reason to upgrade if you have a 7 or 7+ and some are itching for the X.

Reactions: Elitegate

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
There was never a reason to line up or rush to get the phone. Prenty of supply for preorders. I preordered and arrived home to a new phone. Hands on response for the phones is good.

Reactions: _Refurbished_

drzen

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2017
eventually they are going to have to lower prices to make sales or come up with some breakthrough technology that people "must" have

remember when desktops cost thousands, HDTV's were many thousands, etc

If and when they bring to market a true holographic device, where it renders antiquated the entire concept of a physical object with a glass screen that you hold.

Dopestar

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
CA
I honestly fast forward the keynote and skipped on the iphone segment. Majority of the phone news was released by leaks like every prelaunch.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
If the X didn’t exist, people would’ve been lining up to get the 8. I got it, it’s fsster, better camera, better display, better speakers. It is like a 7S but so what’s, the 7 was like a 6SS ya know?

Without the X, customers still wouldn't line up for the 8.

There are four generations of the 5.5" form factor available on the market. Apple still sells the 6S Plus and 7 Plus.

The iPhone 8 is churn rather than innovation.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I have been wondering since release if this form factor design was Steve Jobs last design and that’s why they have kept it this long. That could be why the X was announced as the NEXT revolution as it may be the first post Jobs device.

I also wonder if this launch is a result of carrier subsidies going away. $399 was a lot easier to line up for than $1000. The monthly rate is easy to market that “low monthly cost”, but a thousand is a thousand no matter how you lay it out, and the result is shrinking the audience that could afford it.

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
I went to Apple Store and was underwhelmed. Granted I own a 7+ so the phone doesn't offer much of an upgrade. Even the rep I talked to wasn't trying to BS me upsell me like they do when they unveil them.

I think the X will sell out on release but not necessarily mean it's a success. The limited quantity will be a factor. Apple really needed to skip the 8 and made the X and Xplus.

Why did you feel the need to share this baseless opinion.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Then it really would have been ignored. Calling the it the 8 will make it seem like more of an upgrade to many.

Good point. Marketing
[doublepost=1506137291][/doublepost]

Same reason you had to share your opinion that his opinion is baseless. Everyone has one.

Last edited:

GetSwole37

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
If the X didn’t exist, people would’ve been lining up to get the 8. I got it, it’s fsster, better camera, better display, better speakers. It is like a 7S but so what’s, the 7 was like a 6SS ya know?

Wrong. The camera fro

because it's related to the post and guess what, it's a forum. People express their opinions all the time. You don't like it, skip it

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
If sales of the ip8/+ are tepid, perhaps Apple will try harder in 2018.

I know if they don't release OLED for the smaller 4.7" phone next year, I'll sit the year out just like I'm doing right now with this one.

When I said I may keep my 6s for 5 years or more, I wasn't kidding. It's still on iOS 9 so it's not slowing down.

The ball is in Apple's court. And I am a man of my word.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.