Other Would Apple have apologized about slowing down iPhones if nobody knew?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hieveryone, Dec 28, 2017.

1. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Either way, me personally, I’m not bad about the throttling itself. I’m mad about the fact that they hid it and weren’t upfront about it. Furthermore, they could also have given me a choice about it.

Something like:

Your battery has degraded, to keep using your iPhone’s full potential... etc etc.

2. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68030

Since when did it become ridiculous to expect nothing but the best from Apple?

I think Steve Jobs would’ve wanted that.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

We'll put.
    For me personally throttling would never be an option or a choice.
    I'd rather charge the battery more often or replace the battery than have a turtle of an iPhone.
    But off course Apple just lies and tells you the battery is fine and won't even let you pay to get a new one.
    They Rather slow down the phones to a crawl to make up for faulty batteries. It's a win win for them.
    Total scam.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

The problem with this scheme is that Apple banked on the fact that many people were making use of two options:

1. Installment plans thru carriers (with annual upgrades)
    2. Installment plans thru Apple (Upgrade Program)

That meant a person could kept paying $30, $40 or even $50 throughout the year. With such high battery mark up @ $79, most people figured, “why bother fixing this old phone for $79 which also happens to be slow now when I can just keep paying $XX and get brand new one.”

Quite the scheme. For a minority, those who purchased outright the device, $79 made sense, and now after knowing a can get same Day 1 speeds with $30, most definetly it’ll stop the needless upgrades.

5. Applejuiced, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    It's no problem for those that upgrade yearly, for the rest it's pushing their hand to upgrade their devices and its the definition of planned obsolescence.
    The customer has no idea what is going on and why their phone is now more than 50% slower and Apple refuses to replace the faulty batteries telling people they are fine when they are clearly not.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Since reality, which was around when Steve Jobs was as well.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

True, but Jobs was a perfectionist with a sales mentality. Cook is a just a sales guy that happen to see Jobs work.

So iPhones back in Jobs’ era tended to be a bit more robust in battery life and throttling. Also, the whole buy-back of stock options and dividends would make Steve roll in his grave.

8. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 65816

I note you continue to choose to not answer. Absolutely fine and your prerogative as long as you are aware that that is what you are doing.

They were upfront about it, but I agree they could have employed an actual notification and perhaps a switch to give those few who think they need the full power the choice. But leave it in the power management mode switched on by default.

Perhaps they will do that now.

I would still argue that if it’s true that it takes 10 seconds to perform an action like answering the phone as some seem to report I would not accept the phone as fit for purpose. But also wouldn’t tell the supplier how they should fix it.

9. Wowereit macrumors 6502a

I bet right after this became public media outlets, law firms and competitors were intensively looking for it on all models.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Answering what? That what they are doing is fraud and shady?
    Everyone can see what is going on here and it's a big scam by Apple.

11. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 65816

And you are still avoiding it ;) and you know it very well what I’m talking about as every response by you is steering it away from the facts and into this outrage.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Avoiding what?
    Your false narrative claiming that they fully disclosed what they were doing to our devices?
    Is that what you're trying to say cause that's far from reality.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

There were all kinds of off things while Steve Jobs was around too, from iOS versions that basically almost crippled some older devices (probably even more than typical throttling) where public apologies were made by Jobs about it all as well. So not exactly that much different in all kinds of respects after all.

14. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68030

Steve took pride in the products they created.

While I’m sure Apple today does as well, I question whether or not they seem more focused on their bottom line.

15. Act3 macrumors 68000

The opposite of what Apple has it doing. Power management usually slows cpu down when the power is not needed in order to conserve energy.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

And yet there were still things that resulted in problems for the consumers to the point that public apologies had to be made by him nonetheless. This revisionist or rose-tinted view of history isn't useful.

17. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 65816

No that is energy management. Power management in the context of the release notes was clearly to reduce the uneven power delivery. So if you reduce the delivery of power to the CPU you underclock it....A technique used for many desktop systems when their PSU is not of sufficient power as just one example.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 1, 2018 ---
    Read back to the thread, but please have some dignity and don't continue twisting it instead of answering that very simple question many posts ago.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not really into playing any of your games. Apple is the one that has no dignity when they lie and rip us off.
    But people like you try to make excuses and attack those that are exposing their scams.
    Try to tell me about dignity?

19. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 65816

LOL The classic switch. I'm not playing any games, I already acknowledged they should have put up a notification like they do on a Macbook, and ideally a switch (although default to stability mode) for those who think they know better...

Not playing any games, simply reading actual release notes and taking it out of its hysterical emotional rants to see what is really and truly going on.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Great, and you're admittance is a great start.
    Being truthful and transparent will never come to bite you in the rear end ;)
    Do you also admit that what they did with throttling according to battery health was not included or explained in the release notes? And nobody was made aware of what they were doing until they had to come out of the closet.
    If you disagree Im sure many of the class action lawyers that have read everything would love to correct you. :D

21. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Where were they upfront? I don't see any type of communication in their OS release notes nor their webpage. It was after this whole debacle that they acknowledged it, not before.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 2, 2018 ---
    Agreed, but I can think of twice that Apple released OS updates to fine tune performance on older iPhones.

22. DNichter macrumors 601

DNichter

Nope. Nothing to apologize for. I don't even think they had to, but they did in good faith to their customers.

23. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 65816

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1893?locale=en_GB
    --- Post Merged, Jan 2, 2018 ---
    No I don’t agree with that at all. And that was my original point you kept on refusing to answer and through some spinning now turn around and point in my direction...Quite remarkable...

Class Action Lawyers aren’t about that, I’m sorry to say but the USA legal system regarding many of these kind of matters is seriously ****ed. Good if you are a lawyer, but really not helpful to get the truth out.

24. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No where in that link is there any note or communicating detail of "Battery Throttling". The only instance battery is used is in the following:

25. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 65816

Nope that term isn’t used, yet their action is clearly in there. I suggest you read it again...