Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I bought my 7 in November and it's at 87% battery health. I already have the "featured" installed as I'm at 11.2.1; however, that feature is not affecting me as much as I have an Apple Battery case that keeps full the internal battery at power.

Double check to see what your CPU speed is currently. Use Antutu or CPUdasher.
Some noticed slow downs on the i7 on 11.2.1 even when over 90% battery health.
And Plugging in to an outlet or external battery pack will not bring bring the CPU back up to original speed once the slow down is implemented.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
If a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it? This is a philisofical question. There is no correct answer.
The tree does still make a sound if no one is there to hear it, and Apple would not have issued a statement about slowing down iPhones or started offering discounted battery replacements without the threat of a lawsuit and bad publicity. There are your answers. :)

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Double check to see what your CPU speed is currently. Use Antutu or CPUdasher.
Some noticed slow downs on the i7 on 11.2.1 even when over 90% battery health.
And Plugging in to an outlet or external battery pack will not bring bring the CPU back up to original speed once the slow down is implemented.

According to Antutu, it is showing a 2.3GHz speed.

Reactions: Applejuiced

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Still, at 13% wear... I wonder what the threshold is for Apple to consider a battery "degraded"? Is it 20, 30 or even 40% wear?
As far as power management throttling goes there are more variables that can be in play that just that. As far as battery replacements go, it has been 20% wear, although for many devices that has been lifted now to where you can get a battery replacement if you want it even if the battery diagnostics pass and the wear level isn't up to the requirements Apple had/has.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
As far as power management throttling goes there are more variables that can be in play that just that. As far as battery replacements go, it has been 20% wear, although for many devices that has been lifted now to where you can get a battery replacement if you want it even if the battery diagnostics pass and the wear level isn't up to the requirements Apple had/has.

That is true, but my question is whether, what would be considered, in Apple's eyes, a battery with enough wear that a throttle is needd.
[doublepost=1515013436][/doublepost]
That's what we'd all like to know for sure.
Seems to be no real rhyme or reason on the amount of throttling and exact battery percentage level and also varies by each device etc...

Exactly, too much variables and no knowns. Guess we'll have to wait until a new iPhone OS update to see what new battery information Apple provides.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That is true, but my question is whether, what would be considered, in Apple's eyes, a battery with enough wear that a throttle is needd.
Well, again, for that throttling there's more in play:

"This power management works by looking at a combination of the device temperature, battery state of charge, and battery impedance. Only if these variables require it, iOS will dynamically manage the maximum performance of some system components, such as the CPU and GPU, in order to prevent unexpected shutdowns."

from https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208387

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007

"This power management works by looking at a combination of the device temperature, battery state of charge, and battery impedance. Only if these variables require it, iOS will dynamically manage the maximum performance of some system components, such as the CPU and GPU, in order to prevent unexpected shutdowns."

However, as replacing the battery has been known to correct the throttling, it is safe to assume that the main factor that determines if it happens is battery performance and wear levels.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008

That pretty much says that everything is pretty much unknown and you could be throttled at any given time for any given reason.
Thank you for giving us your money, your device belongs to us and we control what it does and how it does it. We decide what's best for you without telling you or asking you anything :D
Buy next years "magical" and un-throttled new iPhone for the amazing price of $1299 :D

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
That pretty much says that everything is pretty much unknown and you could be throttled at any given time for any given reason.
Thank you for giving us your money, your device belongs to us and we control what it does and how it does it. We decide what's best for you without telling you or asking you anything :D
Buy next years "magical" and un-throttled new iPhone for the amazing price of $1299 :D

Or you could add onto your payment plan $6.99 per month to go unthrottled!

stuckonduhmode

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
Since when did it become ridiculous to expect nothing but the best from Apple?

I think Steve Jobs would’ve wanted that.

I was saying it’s ridiculous to expect a battery to last three years. There’s nothing wrong with expecting the best of a company. However, if you’re talking about telling the public about the throttling in big bold letters, Steve most likely wouldn’t have done it either.

As it stands, I believe that they are the “best” in the phone category for my purposes.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
I was saying it’s ridiculous to expect a battery to last three years. There’s nothing wrong with expecting the best of a company. However, if you’re talking about telling the public about the throttling in big bold letters, Steve most likely wouldn’t have done it either, just like the antenna issue.

As it stands, I believe that they are the “best” in the phone category for my purposes.

In all honesty, what a Steve would or could have done is moot. He is dead, so we will never know. At this point, lets work with what we know. We have Apple throttling iPhones without explicitly stating so on devices they claim have worn down batteries. However, their algorithm which chooses when to throttle or not has several variables to it that make that decision.

stuckonduhmode

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
In all honesty, what a Steve would or could have done is moot. He is dead, so we will never know. At this point, lets work with what we know. We have Apple throttling iPhones without explicitly stating so on devices they claim have worn down batteries. However, their algorithm which chooses when to throttle or not has several variables to it that make that decision.

I suppose that's the point where some of us disagree. As per the link provided earlier, the power management (throttling) was explicitly stated in the release notes of 10.2.1. They didn't put it in big bold letters like a feature implementation, but it's exactly like how most if not all companies do with their fine print.

My MacBook Pro throttles it's CPU when temperatures rise past a certain point to keep from overheating and causing a shutdown. I see no difference between this and a phone which is basically the same thing. I'd rather be able to use to phone albeit slower than to have it randomly keep shutting down.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
I suppose that's the point where some of us disagree. As per the link provided earlier, the power management (throttling) was explicitly stated in the release notes of 10.2.1. They didn't put it in big bold letters like a feature implementation, but it's exactly like how most if not all companies do with their fine print.

My MacBook Pro throttles it's CPU when temperatures rise past a certain point to keep from overheating and causing a shutdown. I see no difference between this and a phone which is basically the same thing. I'd rather be able to use to phone albeit slower than to have it randomly keep shutting down.

I’m not addressing your battery point. To each their own. I’m addressing your mentality of what would Steve do. He is dead. Let him rest.

We all know batteries degrade, but what we don’t like is the sneakiness of this “feature”. Like I said earlier, give us the choice in the simplest form.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I'd rather be able to use to phone albeit slower than to have it randomly keep shutting down.

So there's no other options besides your iPhone randomly shutting off or having a slowed down phone? We keep hearing this bad excuse over and over.
Guess what? I'd rather have Apple replace the faulty batteries free of charge and I'd rather have a full speed iPhone that doesn't randomly shut off.
I guess all other millions of iPhones and smartphones before the i6 and 6S we're turning off within a year and that's all Apple could come up to resolve this defective battery issue?

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
So there's no other options besides your iPhone randomly shutting off or having a slowed down phone? We keep hearing this bad excuse over and over.
Guess what? I'd rather have Apple replace the faulty batteries free of charge and I'd rather have a full speed iPhone that doesn't randomly shut off.
I guess all other millions of iPhones and smartphones before the i6 and 6S we're turning off within a year and that's all Apple could come up to resolve this defective battery issue?
They did replace the faulty batteries at the time as per apples statemtn and the supporting articles from macrumours. However that is a different issues from the power management features that were build in. The two are separate issues.

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
I sort of love the gall it also takes to release the absolutely worst running OS in their history and also include this battery drain gimmick as an added non-bonus to it. It's actually comical.

Reactions: Raist3001

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I sort of love the gall it also takes to release the absolutely worst running OS in their history and also include this battery drain gimmick as an added non-bonus to it. It's actually comical.
The additional power management was there since iOS 10.2.1 days.

Raist3001

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2012
Right behind you
I see no difference between this and a phone which is basically the same thing. I'd rather be able to use to phone albeit slower than to have it randomly keep shutting down.

The difference is that we are talking about cell phone batteries. And they should not have a life span of 1-3 years. And Apple should not have implemented a procedure that throttled a phone with out explaining the situation. That is the crime they are guilty of. Apple would have said nothing if they were not exposed, and allowed their customers to upgrade unnecessarily. How many millions did apple make from the customer who was not aware that iOS did this and a simple battery change would have solved their issues? I find it very upsetting that folks could be angered with an Italian company for using Steve Jobs Name and similar logo, yet in the same breath give apple a pass on this disgusting behavior.

The power management solution to me is sound, had apple explained their new position and gave the customer a choice to change their battery or upgrade. As of now, it looks like a poor attempt to keep something silent as long as the sales from upgrades continued to roll it. Disgusting behavior from a company I truly admired. We should be demanding better. We should not be giving apple a pass on this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.