Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

would you buy a Physical Keyboard as an Add on?

• Total voters

keenan wolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
no, there's no need. the on screen keyboard works just fine. why mess with the extra bulk?

it would be nice to have. have you ever tried texting on the iphone in a class? its hard if you cant look at the screen cuz the teacher might catch you.

keenan wolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
I wouldn't, it would be too bulky and cumbersome to carry around and I've grown quite accustomed to the touch screen keyboard.

how do you know that it would be to bulky? what if it was like a case and it flipped down and protected the iphone like the Lg Versa?

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
it would be nice to have. have you ever tried texting on the iphone in a class? its hard if you cant look at the screen cuz the teacher might catch you.

Teen Wolf out to cause mischief again.

I'm extremely happy we didn't have all these high tech cell phones when I was in middle school.

im in highschool, everybody txts in class. hell, I text my mom in class all the time. sometimes there is important stuff that i have to talk about with people.

How did people EVER survive before cell phones??

keenan wolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
They shouldn't design hardware optimized to be used in situations like this.

it doesnt have to be used like that im just saying thats one of the reasons i would use it. sometimes it would be nice to not have to look at the screen while i txt. i txt alot every month 7500 or more every month! and it gets hard to txt on the iphone that much!

keenan wolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
I don't use cases though, and it is one more thing to carry around which would mean extra bulk.

ok then make it blue tooth. either way it would be nice to sometimes have a keyboard you can touch and feel click.

Why, because if i wanted a keyboard id get a PRE or G1!

the PRE's keyboard is way to small and the G1 you can barely feel the keys.

ok then make it blue tooth. either way it would be nice to sometimes have a keyboard you can touch and feel click.

my bad, i see didn't think. it would still add bulk but its not neccisary and it could just be an everyonce in a while thing. you dont always have to bring it with you.

jlamb0

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2008
I would never try to edit a word document on the iPhone with the onscreen keyboard, but give me a full sized keyboard accessory and I might just leave my laptop at home.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA

I don't think you read the part where I said that it was one extra thing to carry around... Anyways, bluetooth wouldn't make a difference to me. A physical keyboard that is not built into the phone means that I'll most likely have to set it down to use it in a non-awkward position. And I like to use the iPhone with one hand most of the time, and I still find the touch screen to be a completely sufficient keyboard.

wadejc85

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
PA
Definitely no. I bought the iPhone for it's touchscreen and user-friendly nature. I went away from physical keyboards with the Cingular 8125 that I owned and hated. The touchscreen keyboard was a welcome change.

Plus, physical keyboards aren't exactly silent. I have a BB Bold that work gave me, and I feel like I disturb everyone around me when I try to compose or reply to an e-mail.

Shouldn't you be learning in class, anyways? ;)

*click* *click* *click* *click* *click*

randomusername

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
I repeat...

I don't think the new dock accessory feature in 3.0 will allow for a 3rd party physical keyboard. I'm almost certain the accessories will only be allowed in the 3rd party app(s) they're written for and will not be allowed to be integrated into the stock apps, like Messages, Safari, and Notes, just like how 3rd party apps can't be integrated into stock apps. It's most likely possible for a physical keyboard accessory to work in a 3rd party app, like an IM app, but it wouldn't work in Messages.

camarobh

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
San Diego, CA
Yes!

Not for everyday use while out and around, but for times when I need to power through a bunch of emails (perhaps while on business travel).

keenan wolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
Definitely no. I bought the iPhone for it's touchscreen and user-friendly nature. I went away from physical keyboards with the Cingular 8125 that I owned and hated. The touchscreen keyboard was a welcome change.

Plus, physical keyboards aren't exactly silent. I have a BB Bold that work gave me, and I feel like I disturb everyone around me when I try to compose or reply to an e-mail.

Shouldn't you be learning in class, anyways? ;)

*click* *click* *click* *click* *click*

i love the bold keyboard. its my favorite of all phones. i can type way more accurate with a real keyboard. and i didnt think it was loud... maybe i broke mine in cuz i hit the buttons hard and fast.

wadejc85

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
PA
i love the bold keyboard. its my favorite of all phones. i can type way more accurate with a real keyboard. and i didnt think it was loud... maybe i broke mine in cuz i hit the buttons hard and fast.

I love the keyboard, too. It's very thumb friendly.... but I would never want it attached to my iPhone. It's not loud, but it's not silent.

The iPhone keyboard is silent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.