Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAtot

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
this sounds sumthin to me!!

sounds like a netbook to me... wud u guys agree..
also of course there will be a new iphone for sure

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
I love my iPhone but...

I want Apple to talk about Apple computers. Unfortunately the iPhone is paying the bills so we are stuck with this sh*t now. Every event seems to include a bunch of iPhone BS that doesn't amount to anything.

I've spent the last two months reading about Windows 7 they've blitzed the media with coverage of it. Apple seems to have pushed Snow Leopard to the back burner, kinda like Leopard was pushed back for the original iPhone.

AppleMojo

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2007
Mac AppStore should never happen. Stupid suggestion, if you ask me (I realise that nobody did).

1. Even if it starts off "in addition" to normal installations, it will move in the direction of being the exclusive source of Mac apps, which will lead to the absurd problems we've seen with iPhone rejections: who wants Apple playing gatekeeper? Not me, for sure.

2. Installing software on your Mac isn't difficult, it doesn't need to be made easy. An app directory might be useful, but PLEASE not in iTunes, it's already bloated enough as it is, perhaps on the Apple website (although there probably already is one?)

3. Why is Apple going to want to deal with all the hassle of dealing with developers, infrastructure, staffing etc?

4. People install apps on their Macs far less often than on their iPhones, and Mac apps are released less regularly, the experience doesn't need to be simplified to oblivion.

In this respect, I'd definitely be inclined to say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Until Apple comes out with a Tablet or something where finding installing apps is difficult/time consuming, then we might see the app store concept expanded.

I don't think it's a good move business-wise for Apple or for us as consumers.

I would imagine Apple isn't interested in this at all...

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
Apple always gives clues to fuel the rumour sites ( notice rumour is spelt coordctly with a u ;). )

I reckon it's a hint at oled screens. Also did you see the 32 which maybe refers to the new 32gig phone.

Look for the clues don't take it too literally

MicahFreak82

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2007
Honolulu, Hawaii
i am sick of all this iphone crap too. i got my 3g iphone the day it was released and don't want to brake my contranct.
apple give me something that i actually care about. the computer that i actually have to plug my iphone into. duh

vvebsta

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2006
Apple always gives clues to fuel the rumour sites ( notice rumour is spelt coordctly with a u ;). )

I reckon it's a hint at oled screens. Also did you see the 32 which maybe refers to the new 32gig phone.

oled screens would be incredible! save battery and allot better in sunlight. where is the 32 you speak of?

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
I bet going to WWDC is way cooler than Microsoft Tech-Ed.

But then MS do serve up good waffles....

scottness

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2009
Room 101
i just got dizzy looking at the app store today... too much crap in there and the organization sucks. reminds me of my time in akihabara, japan. lots of cool stuff, but a little overwhelming.

i'd really like to hear about snow leopard. just a little change of pace would do me some good.

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
For me I'm over computers a mac is a better pc but in the end it's just a boring computer.

Give me innovative gadgets like the iPhone any day. If MR was always about what new big cat os was about to be released I wouldn't read.

vvebsta

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2006
they should make the keynote longer... i really have no problem with a 3 hour keynote... split it in half with an intermission...the first half all the new iphone stuff, second half all the new computer stuff. who would complain? seriously?

intempo808

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
i just got dizzy looking at the app store today... too much crap in there and the organization sucks. reminds me of my time in akihabara, japan. lots of cool stuff, but a little overwhelming.

i'd really like to hear about snow leopard. just a little change of pace would do me some good.

I agree! The app store has got totally out of hand. It's clogged with useless apps like farting apps, peeing apps, surgery apps etc.

I liked the App store when it was actually a serious place to buy proper apps for the iPhone and iPod touch, like Super Monkey Ball etc. It's just got out of hand. They need to tighten back up the rules!!!

Detlev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
I think what it shows is that marketing people are ignorant idiots, regardless of whether they work for Apple or not.

Also goes to prove this is perhaps the worst banner design/marketing scheme I have seen in years. All I can say is Apple better have its $#!t together this year. The last couple announcements have been less than stellar IMO. The markets are about to get much more competitive.

SydneyDev

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
1. Even if it starts off "in addition" to normal installations, it will move in the direction of being the exclusive source of Mac apps, which will lead to the absurd problems we've seen with iPhone rejections: who wants Apple playing gatekeeper? Not me, for sure.

If it brought the same amount of $ flowing toward Mac developers as it did for the iPhone, it could cause a surge in innovation on the platform. Also Mac software can still be hard to find from traditional outlets.

scottness

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2009
Room 101
I agree! The app store has got totally out of hand. It's clogged with useless apps like farting apps, peeing apps, surgery apps etc.

I liked the App store when it was actually a serious place to buy proper apps for the iPhone and iPod touch, like Super Monkey Ball etc. It's just got out of hand. They need to tighten back up the rules!!!

yea. i'm thinking about boycotting the app store until they clean it up. i have to rely on other sources about what the good apps are. forget the app store browsing "experience".

Detlev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003

I don't know if it is the rules that need to be tightened—personally, I agree—but the store is absolutely terrible to shop because of its format and inconsistency of categorizing. There are so many possibilities out there combined with Apple technologies that would make a renovation of iTunes/store much better. Ideas might include tagging, in-store video, redesigned layout, and regionalization. I am sure you can come up with many more.

jambobowron

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2009

right next to the black bezeled "new" iphone which is actaully the stars app. but we can dream...

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
I think there are a couple of things Apple is light years behind with, as well.

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
Uh why do people keep asking for them to make announcements when clearly it's not the devices time yet?

Apple has had set times for releases since for ever this is nothing new. It always baffled me that an event clearly for iPhone people are like "NEW MACS!!!!!!!" then the iPod event rolls around "NEW MACS????" and then the Mac event comes "New iPhones?????" :confused::rolleyes:

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Why would anyone want a mac app store? Isn't the mac software community ok as it is? If apple takes away my ability to install whatever I want on my computer, without going through iTunes, without their approval, I would go linux. This is my computer, not my phone.

Yep. But even on my phone, I want to install what -- I -- want, through whatever channels -- I -- choose.

But I'd rather go back to Windows full time instead of Linux. There are no substitutes for most of the apps that I use on Linux. Besides, Linux is a royal pain in the ass to configure and maintain, and I've got enough battles with Linux in my company's server room already - I don't need that at home.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
Not really?

It's essentially saying that in one year they have streaked light-years (distance) ahead of their competitors.

It's no different to saying "one year later, miles ahead"; they're emphasising the metaphorical distance they are in front of their competitors.

They're just using the play on words between "year" as a unit of time and "light year" as a unit of distance for marketing effect. There's no inaccuracy, apart from the obvious fact that they aren't "light-years ahead" of their competitors, but that's common marketing metaphor and hyperbole, and has nothing to do with the juxtaposition of "light years" (distance) with "year" (time).

Don't be so harsh on the guys, it's just a poster.

The problem isn't with the juxtaposition of distance and time.

Light Year: the distance that light travels in a vacuum in one Julian year

Since it has been "one-year later", the furthest they could be while moving at the speed of light, would be one light year. The poster says "light years"

They are technically wrong if you prescribe to the notion that one cannot travel faster than the speed of light.

leonstafford

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2007
Kyoto, Japan
Why would anyone want a mac app store? Isn't the mac software community ok as it is? If apple takes away my ability to install whatever I want on my computer, without going through iTunes, without their approval, I would go linux. This is my computer, not my phone.

Hmm, so you would go Linux, where you can use an App Store, oops, I mean repository, to search for and install any apps you want?

ItsGavinC

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
This annoys me. Is this all what Apple is about these days? Their 2 year old phone? It that all they advertise?

I want the old Apple back where all the news was about the Mac. Screw the iPhone at WWDC. :mad:

It's a developer conference. It's for developers.

Check out all the Mac-centric development sessions: http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/sessions/

Sure, there are lots of iPhone ones, as well as combined sessions, but there are also plenty of Mac-only sessions for developers. It's a pretty even split.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.