Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
lilblueimac said:
My mind immediately jumped to an Isamu Sanada prototype from applele.com when I heard "verticle pizza box."

picture_b_himac_r07c.jpg

That wouldn't be so bad would it?

(more angles : hiMac R7 at applele.com)

That computer isn't thick enough for a CD to be inserted into the drive. It would have to angle up. Kind of an obvious problem. If apple does go with a design like this, i would expect the Cd drive to be mounted on the side.

nek

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2003
Canada
Capt Underpants said:
That computer isn't thick enough for a CD to be inserted into the drive. It would have to angle up. Kind of an obvious problem. If apple does go with a design like this, i would expect the Cd drive to be mounted on the side.

The other major problem with that design is that the CD/DVD drive is in the monitor. That eliminates the primary benefit of having a separate monitor from the computer... the ability to attach any monitor you want. It would be too costly for Apple to create special displays for the iMac. If Apple created a headless iMac it would include a DVD drive and you could just chose which Cinema Display to buy with it. But I don't expect that to happen, they will keep the all-in-one.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I view that design of the imac3 is a attempt to resurrect the cube. The vent for the air is similar to the cube. The overall design is simialr to the cube. Cube alert.

SWC

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
MM2270 said:
FWIW, I was on the phone just yesterday with a local Apple rep in sales, looking to get some quotes on a large number of new computers for the company I work for. One of the items we were looking to get was the 20" iMac. When I mentioned it, he basically stated that there was a revision coming at WWDC for the iMac. New form factor and G5, but he said nothing else and I didn't push it.

He told me this, while asking me not to quote him, because he wanted me to know the options that will open up for this system in the next month, not just because he felt like saying it. We are looking to order a number of new systems, so he was being as honest as possible here. He was also pretty certain this was happening at the WWDC Steve-note next week.

Anyway, I know that this is probably old news, but I thought I'd mention that the G5 iMac is a sure bet to be released next week.

I'm not doubting he told you that but I have worked for apple in the past and unless you are involved with the release of the product specifically you do NOT know about it ahead of time. When a new product was being released the day before we were informed and had to complete a training session on it so that we can discuss it with customers when they call up. Sometimes we didnt know about the releases until after the public did if we didnt watch the site or rumor sites. Being a salesman (which I can almost guarantee he is in texas) he has no real way of knowing whats coming for sure.

aussiemac86

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2004
the land of OZ
New displays

If we are getting new displays (20",23",30"), it will be pretty cool because they will be so big. However a 20" display starts to get into the realms of where in some places its simply to big to fit on a certain desk and stuff, and in a place where a 15" or 17" would have been perfect a 20" will be impratical. Also the prices are going to deter many mac users. So unfortunately we may end up seeing many more beautiful boxes combined with fugly monitors.... so sad.

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
Detatchable face?

nek said:
The other major problem with that design is that the CD/DVD drive is in the monitor. That eliminates the primary benefit of having a separate monitor from the computer... the ability to attach any monitor you want. It would be too costly for Apple to create special displays for the iMac. If Apple created a headless iMac it would include a DVD drive and you could just chose which Cinema Display to buy with it. But I don't expect that to happen, they will keep the all-in-one.

If Apple goes this route, I think there will be some sort of interchangability with the displays. If it's a pizza box, I suspect the display will hook to the front somehow like a picture frame so that different sizes of display would work -- and so you could upgrade the display.

It would have to be simple to be Apple, so I'm not sure how they're going to make a "detatchable face" iMac that would work with three different displays.

iGuy

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2004
uh, why detachable monitor??

Porchland said:
If Apple goes this route, I think there will be some sort of interchangability with the displays. If it's a pizza box, I suspect the display will hook to the front somehow like a picture frame so that different sizes of display would work -- and so you could upgrade the display.

It would have to be simple to be Apple, so I'm not sure how they're going to make a "detatchable face" iMac that would work with three different displays.

Is there something in the air today or are people just typing without thinking?

We know that a pizza box case can be quite thin and still provide adequate cooling. We know LCD monitors are also thin. The DVD drive would have to be from the side. So? Not a big deal. Simply add bluetooth for a wireless keyboard and mouse and you can hang the whole damn thing on the wall. No need to hang the monitor seperately. A tad inconvient for access the drive, but not that bad really, depending on where you choose to hang it.

There is absolutely no need to detach the monitor.

~iGuy

ClimbingTheLog

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2003
Porchland said:

If this is the removable tablet, you can have a series of contact electrodes that would hook up video, firewire, etc, when you slide the screen into the cradle. They could be positioned evenly and with the right lustre metal could even be attractive. They would be flat and unobtrusive on the portable. Positioned correctly any size screen/table could latch onto the dock/cradle/basestation.

morkintosh

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2003
not likely

wordmunger said:
If this thing is, say, in the neighborhood of ten-fifteen pounds, then it might work as a "luggable" home computer, but not as a true laptop. I've actually speculated in the past that that might be the form factor of a new iMac--something that will fit in a stereo rack, but can easily be transported around the house. You might mount it only to use for slide shows, or as an interactive, removable picture frame. Then you take it down and use it like a regular computer.

IBM had some research units that functioned like this back in '99, didn't get a lot of positive feedback ... as it turns out people don't like lugging computers around as "other" devices. I suspect that the model will become many devices for many things that can all easily talk to each other.

Just my thought ...

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
This is my wish

If Apple wants you to hang the monitor, they probably want you to do some non iMac things with it. Who says this has to be an iMac? Why can't it be Apples entry into the home electronics market? With their patents on wireless firewire they could have a cd drive that goes into the wireless keyboard. This way they could sell it as a computer but it would really be Apple putting their toe in the water so they can see if the living room is where they can make the most money. With a computer/TV setup like this and a great iApp that lets you download movies like iTunes does music. :D

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
Optical drive orientation/speed issue

iGuy said:
The DVD drive would have to be from the side. So? Not a big deal. Simply add bluetooth for a wireless keyboard and mouse and you can hang the whole damn thing on the wall. No need to hang the monitor seperately. A tad inconvient for access the drive, but not that bad really, depending on where you choose to hang it.

~iGuy

Wouldn't this mean that the optical drive would have to be mounted vertically? I thought Apple rejected vertically mounted optical drives in the past because they said that vertical orientation limited the drive speed.

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
iGuy said:

~iGuy

My only point is that a detatchable face would prevent locking people into a configuration. If Apple comes out with a one-piece pizza box, they'll be spec-ing a computer and a display. I suppose they could do good, better, best -- with the larger displays coming with the faster chips.

I'm assuming it would look just like an LCD or plasma TV display but would have a computer hiding inside of it -- similar to Gateway's Media Center PC.

mac128k

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2004
More musings...

Everyday said:
Can anyone say set top box from apple? I love my tivo and the way they improve and lead the market in their field would be a great fit with apple.

iMac G5:
- Offered as a standalone (not AIO) SP G5 box at $1099 (1.6mhz), $1399 (1.8), $1799 (2.0).
- Choose your own monitor option with cool AIO-like integration for: 17" (+$300), 20" (+$800). Or desktop seated (non AIO) on 23" (+$1200).
- Combined iMac-and-monitor combination offered at a discount to "monitor-only" option. Monitor prices (when purchased with an iMac) reflect a $200-$400 discount off the monitor-only prices.
- Cool floaty monitor feature (a la current iMacs) available for 17" and 20".

iBox:
- Hard disk drive based home theater component. (80gig @ $399, 120gig @ $599, 160 gig @ $799). Superdrive option (for DVD and CD playback/recording) on 120gig and 160gig models for +$300.
- Running Mac OS X-M ("M" for multimedia. An instant-on OS-X Lite version specifically designed for the set top box market).
- Embedded wireless networking (airport) for communication w/ Apple desktop and laptop computers.
- Remote iTunes (link to desktop/laptop Macs) via Rendezvous & Airport.
- Remote iPhoto via Rendezvous & Airport.
- Remote iMovie via Rendezvous & Airport.
- Web integration with .Mac site if linked to an Apple computer (grandparents can view posted picts, movies, etc.)
- Subscription based service for TV guide through partnership with TiVo. (info streamed to your computer wirelessly if you have a Mac w/ Airport, or hardwired to phone connection.)
- "iFlicks-ready" for future Apple download/on-demand video service.
- Output ports for TV, HDTV, stereo, etc.
- Input ports for digital camera (PictBridge) and digital camcorder.
- Docking port for iPod.
- Direct internet access option via hardwired Ethernet or iBox-to-AirPort Express connection.
- Very cool Ive-sexy remote control featuring comprehensive yet intuitive control over the box's many capabilities.

A guy's gotta dream....!!! :eek:

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
MacinDoc said:
Wouldn't this mean that the optical drive would have to be mounted vertically? I thought Apple rejected vertically mounted optical drives in the past because they said that vertical orientation limited the drive speed.

I don't see anyway around it unless there's an L-shaped bottom -- which would keep users from wall-mounting it. My guess: vertical drive. (And it's not THAT big of a deal; my last Dell had one.)

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
Great idea!

reyesmac said:
If Apple wants you to hang the monitor, they probably want you to do some non iMac things with it. Who says this has to be an iMac? Why can't it be Apples entry into the home electronics market? With their patents on wireless firewire they could have a cd drive that goes into the wireless keyboard. This way they could sell it as a computer but it would really be Apple putting their toe in the water so they can see if the living room is where they can make the most money. With a computer/TV setup like this and a great iApp that lets you download movies like iTunes does music. :D

Combine this with the rumored TiVO partnership, and you have the next generation of interactive home entertainment systems!

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
mac128k said:
Everyday said:
Can anyone say set top box from apple? I love my tivo and the way they improve and lead the market in their field would be a great fit with apple.

iMac G5:
- Offered as a standalone (not AIO) SP G5 box at $1099 (1.6mhz), $1399 (1.8), $1799 (2.0).
- Choose your own monitor option with cool AIO-like integration for: 17" (+$300), 20" (+$800). Or desktop seated (non AIO) on 23" (+$1200).
- Combined iMac-and-monitor combination offered at a discount to "monitor-only" option. Monitor prices (when purchased with an iMac) reflect a $200-$400 discount off the monitor-only prices.
- Cool floaty monitor feature (a la current iMacs) available for 17" and 20".

iBox:
- Hard disk drive based home theater component. (80gig @ $399, 120gig @ $599, 160 gig @ $799). Superdrive option (for DVD and CD playback/recording) on 120gig and 160gig models for +$300.
- Running Mac OS X-M ("M" for multimedia. An instant-on OS-X Lite version specifically designed for the set top box market).
- Embedded wireless networking (airport) for communication w/ Apple desktop and laptop computers.
- Remote iTunes (link to desktop/laptop Macs) via Rendezvous & Airport.
- Remote iPhoto via Rendezvous & Airport.
- Remote iMovie via Rendezvous & Airport.
- Web integration with .Mac site if linked to an Apple computer (grandparents can view posted picts, movies, etc.)
- Subscription based service for TV guide through partnership with TiVo. (info streamed to your computer wirelessly if you have a Mac w/ Airport, or hardwired to phone connection.)
- Input ports for digital camera (PictBridge) and digital camcorder.
- Docking port for iPod.
- Direct internet access option via hardwired Ethernet or iBox-to-AirPort Express connection.
- Very cool Ive-sexy remote control featuring comprehensive yet intuitive control over the box's many capabilities.

A guy's gotta dream....!!! :eek:

Two words: masturbation fantasy. If that product gets announced, its an absolute homerun.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
Yeah Baby!

mac128k said:
iBox:
My thoughts exactly! This would make so much sense :D The "iBox" absolutely needs to be able to record and playback HDTV and needs to be 5C compliant to work around the copy protection that cable companies are putting on their content now...

agentmouthwash

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2003
just release the damn G5 Cube and Multi-button Pro-Mouse with scroll wheel.

I don't like that rendering btw.. you can't move the monitor around!
it will always be at the same height..
It looks like a step backwards for Apple..

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Lancetx said:
Precisely. That's why it'll never happen. When Ive went and visited Jobs at his home a sunflower in the garden gave them the inspiration for the design of the current iMac. When the G5 iMac comes, it certainly won't look like a "vertical pizza box."

Are you suggesting it might instead look like a big piece of tofu?

davecuse

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2004
NYC
Porchland said:
Two words: masturbation fantasy. If that product gets announced, its an absolute homerun.

I would order an iBox .00035 seconds after announcement. I'm in the process of building a Linux box to do exactly this type of thing using Freevo http://freevo.sf.net/

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
As excited as I am to see a 64bit imac... I'm a bit pissed that the consumer line is getting it before the pro line laptop gets it.

I mean seriously.. wtf? :eek:

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
I just hope AppleInsider is wrong. In my humble opinion if Apple is going to keep the AIO, then the current design is still great, just make it a little more trendy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.