X-Files Reboot

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacNut, Jan 24, 2016.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So the first of a 6 episode run began tonight. Awesome to see Scully and Mulder back together again.
    I like where there are taking this, Should be a good run.

2. Algus macrumors regular

Algus

I loved the ending! I was surprised they didn't redo the intro or try to make it accessible for newcomers or anything. It is very much going to be a tribute run for fans of the show. I was quite satisfied.

3. Huntn macrumors Pentium

Huntn

Totally shocked when this kicked off at the end of the game. Hit the record button, will watch tomorrow. This link calls it a 6 part mini-series.

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Did I miss something??

Are they now trying to tell us that everything we've seen before -- the oil-based aliens, the shape-shifting aliens, etc. -- was merely being done by humans using captured alien technology? That every bad thing that's going on in the world is tied to some evil conspiracy?

I'm a fan of the show, but I think Chris Carter's fallen so far down the rabbit hole of his own mythology that he can't find his way back.

5. Roller macrumors 68020

Interesting start last night.

1. As far as I know, it will end after 6 episodes. I wonder if Carter will try to wrap it up neatly or leave us hanging. I haven't heard anything about the possibilities of continuing with the TV series, but another movie has been talked about.
    2. It looks like both Mulder and Scully have bought into the government conspiracy theory. Of course, there always was a conspiracy, but the scope of this one is much wider.
    3. Some of the best episodes in The X-Files were the monster-of-the-week variety as opposed to the alien arc story. It'll be too bad if there aren't any of those.
    4. I thought Scully was a pathologist, not a surgeon. And, even if you're well-connected in a hospital, it's hard to get lab tests done on yourself or people who aren't actual patients.
    5. Cigarette Smoking Man (William B. Davis) smoking through his tracheostomy was a nice touch.
    6. Hard to tell what role the FBI and AD Skinner will play.
    7. It's funny that Mulder and Scully seem to have no compunction about using cell phones given how easy it would be for the conspirators to listen in.
    8. If I was going to keep an alien-replica ship around and I wanted to keep it hidden, I wouldn't turn off the invisibility cloak, but that's just me.

6. Huntn, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016

Huntn macrumors Pentium

Huntn

Betrayed by technology... Although I hit the record button at the start of the show, apparantly becauseof the late start, the TIVO thought the show was over when it was not! :( Now I'll have to look for this online.

Saved by technology- Fox App...

A human conspiracy to take over the world aka a SPECTRE style organization using acquired alien technology and DNA. I can buy that, but I'm surprised this was revealed on the first episode. I'll be disappointed if the aliens don't have something to say about it. :):)

7. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

It is on Hulu ... which I am so glad we have because we seldom see shows 'when they're on'. :) So maybe we'll watch it that way.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

From what I've read and seen about this 6 episode revival is that the first and last episodes will directly deal with the overarching alien/conspiracy storyline while the 4 episodes in between will be more along the lines of "monster-of-the-week" variety (with likely some bits of the overarching story as well).

9. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Not a reboot, just a 6 episode season 10 :) If it goes well - and I suspect it will - then the plan is a longer Season 11.

They needed a bit of exposition to setup folks who haven't been watching, but EP2 (this evening) is supposed to step it up, then I hear that EP3 is +fantastic+

I. am. all. in.

10. kazmac macrumors 603

kazmac

11. Huntn macrumors Pentium

Huntn

Available for viewing on Fox App.

12. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Yeah, not worth that to me, I had my DVR set and fell victim to the playoff game. I just deleted the series entirely rather than trying to find another way to watch, if it were that important to me I would but it's just not. Was just going to give one episode a shot anyway.

13. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

And Hulu.

-----

I saw an interview with Gillian Anderson where she talked about the six episode series and how she enjoyed it, and looked back at the grueling 24 episode seasons they used to do and said she doesn't think she would want to do that again. So I have my doubts that this will be more than the six episodes.

------

Instead of everyone in the thread using spolier tags, why don't we add 'spoliers' in the thread title so we can speak freely? (Just a suggestion)

14. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It was great! I mean really great! Whoever they have doing the continuity side was spot on with mulders office too.

15. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

No need to be so dramatic, it's right here for free:

http://www.fox.com/the-x-files/watch/607308867569/7756658688

16. Huntn macrumors Pentium

Huntn

Warning! :eek:

My understanding is that some DVR systems use an active guide that knows if a show has been delayed. But I have TIVO through my cable company (Suddenlink) who advised me that TIVO just records during the time a show is scheduled to be broadcast as listed on its guide.

17. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Our DVR (from DirecTV) shafted us several times, glad it's gone (and DirecTV altogether :D)

18. Huntn macrumors Pentium

Huntn

I've had enough internet interruptions through Suddenlink, I've considered switching to something like Direct TV except that my understanding is that DSL (that usually is bundled wit DirectTV) is substantially slower than cable based Internet.

What galled me most last night is I had the X-Files on, hit record, and still ended up with 20 min of the post game show taking the place of the show.

19. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

I've had DirecTV for the past 2 years and its treated me well so far. The DVR has never shafted me yet, until last night. However, I'm blaming some football game that was on just before the X-File was to air.

As for bundling DSL with DTV, I don't know about that because DSL isn't available where I am. I do have cable Internet though which is plenty fast.

20. Huntn macrumors Pentium

Huntn

Thanks for the info. Last time I checked with Direct TV for Houston, the bundled choice was DSL. I do know there is an Internet company Centurylink, but that might be DSL too.

21. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Had it for 12+ years, two different addresses, glad it's gone :) We're not missing a single show were watching before, 1/2 the price, no hassles, no "customer service" :D

22. Huntn macrumors Pentium

Huntn

How are you accessing cable networks?

23. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    There are. I've read some reviews of the 2nd and 3rd episode, and they're a nice return to the, yeah, far better monster of the week stylings. The third episode is apparently along the lines of Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose, which in my opinion was the X-Files at its greatest and most strangest.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 25, 2016 ---
    Per season, maybe, but I doubt they'll film these six and close the book on it for good if the new series ends up taking off.

24. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

I do hope you're right; I'd love to see more of the X-Files than these six episodes.

25. Roller macrumors 68020

That was a great episode. My favorite MOTW episode was "Home." Pretty gruesome, with some comedy thrown in.