Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedRage00

Suspended
Oct 30, 2017
They’re available at almost every apple store in Houston area. Just shows that Apple played us. Lol

Anyway, I didn’t even preorder and was able to snag one from Best Buy yesterday. Shortage Smortage

Reactions: Sean76

gabo864

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Ok so I see they have some in stock at an Apple store near me. If I cancel my order would I be able to reserve one and go pick it up?

Reactions: Maclver

Sean76

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2013
NYC
Well we got played my fellow tech heads. I said from the beginning it would be interesting to see what happens the Monday after the release, I was wrong, it happened earlier...lol

NY stores, especially the boroughs have both Space Black and Silver available for pick up, no delivery but pick up. This is Apple playing the hype game and seriously its a little annoying because were a bunch of suckers for even playing into it if you really think about it. Either way I’m pretty happy with my silver X because I did get to see em both up front yesterday and even though the black is crazy to look at I feel the Silver was just honestly to nice not to buy..lol

Well here’s to another Apple event where we all over played and over thought everything and just the very next day there are phones to be had.

KFOG

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2007
Bingo... just released from detention (Nov 17-24 group) to walking in and picking up my Silver ATT 256 in a couple of hours.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
I am also surprised as this. Most of the stores in the Chicagoland area have X'es available for the immediate pickup - both colors and sizes.

gabo864

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Would it be safe for me to add a line and reserve it for pick up at the Apple store and then once I get there and have the phone, cancel both orders and try to upgrade my line?

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
I think some of you need to put away the tinfoil hats. Anyone that reserved a phone yesterday for walk-in, lost it last night at 9 local time. I know at the store I was at, there were probably 150-200 people in line and probably 50 of them left when they got the reservation. That accounts for at least some of the stock

Regardless of that, Apple never claimed shortages, analysts did. While I agree, they certainly could have handled it better on launch day (I waited 8 hours in line, got there at 7:40 am), I do not think they are creating some sort of artificial shortage, or shortage hype. They had already built more than enough hype. And why is plenty of stock a bad thing for you the customer? Are you only interested in buying it if it is scarce? I only wish I had known it would be this easily available today so I did not have to wait in line yesterday, but I got to spend 3 hours with my wife without kids, so in the end, it was time well spent for me.

Reactions: PanAm-L1011

AMDENCO

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2010
No, how did you setup the pickup order? I can't find an option online to do that, and when I called the Apple store that is 90 minutes away from me, they wouldn't tell me what stock if any they have. I am not cancelling my pre-order and driving all the way there without a guarantee.
I just canceled my wife’s 17-24 delivery. Was able to get a pickup date for today thanks op. You can see if there are any available for pickup when you choose the phone. You can click on the available for pickup today and see what stores have stock.

Reactions: N8Howell33

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
How are you guys doing this. Apple just told me and my wife that the at&t next plan is attached to the phone we pre-ordered. They said we have to call at&t to try and get them to release the plan. So we can't just go and pick one up from the store.
Are you able to cancel the pre-order? If you can then those att next plan you choose also gets canceled.

Sean76

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2013
NYC
Are you able to cancel the pre-order? If you can then those att next plan you choose also gets canceled.

That's the carriers being annoying, they will tell you it takes 24 hours sometimes, but in order to reserve you need them to release the upgrade.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Just canceled my Nov 17-24th Apple.com order that has had no movement, and re-ordered for pickup at noon today! Plenty of 256 Space Grey in stock in Phoenix metro area!

allthingsapple!

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2014
If i recall correctly Apple never claimed the X would be scarce. Others hyped this up and we all hoped on the bandwagon. I thought it would be scarce based on previous iPhone launches but the fact that Apple released the X to over 50 countries on launch day showed supply was not as scarce as predictions I think it’s a great thing that people can walk into the stores after launch and get their phones. We complained in the past when there wasn’t enough stock, now there is and we still complain. :rolleyes:

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Canceled my 11/17 - 11/24 pre-order and reserved a Verizon X a few minutes later. I stopped by the Apple Store and a couple Verizon stores last night and they were sold out. Looks like they got plenty of stock overnight all over Southern California.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Regardless of that, Apple never claimed shortages

It's true Apple never literally said there was a supply shortage BUT it did say it had an order/supply imbalance at last Thursday's conference call. Also launch day delivery went from to 3-4 weeks in the span of 8 minutes at the start of pre-ordering; many people couldn't get into the Apple Store at the start; Apple reported orders would take 5-6 weeks most of the week only to get lowered towards the end. But even with this time improvement Tim Cook warned customers to get to stores early, which I think a reasonable person could infer as there wouldn't be a lot of walk-in supply.

I don't think it's such a far stretch to read between those lines of Apple supplied official-speak. Apple said nothing to calm "fears" of weak supply, nothing in the way it had enough walk-in supply at it's biggest volume stores to last part of the launch weekend. It wanted the lines and chaos. I don't know why because the X is a great phone and it's quite able to speak for itself without the circus. Please, Apple is a smart company capable of the most sophisticated computer sales estimations. Let's not pretend it's a mom and pop organization run on QuickBooks.

So yeah, now when many stores have good supply people are wondering. Historically, Apple has always had decent iPhone supply all launch weekend for most generations.

N8Howell33

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2015
It's just shy of 0630 here on the west coast. I checked stock in Apple stores for Verizon and AT&T...every store within 200 miles of me (Oregon) has both configurations and colors in stock today. I will agree with above post that the shortage appears to be somewhat made up :)
I’m going to Bridgeport today at 11:30 to get mine. Verizon 64 GB silver

Reactions: appygirl82
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.