Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
:eek: :eek:

Talk about conflict of interests!

He did say former Yahoo board member...

Anyway this bodes well for weather data quality in the built-in app because Yahoo's was pretty poor, at least in Australia where I used it. It's not like Yahoo is a weather company and I doubt they did anything too sophisticated to other published model results.

At least The Weather Channel is a weather company in name if nothing else. I'm guessing the results will get much better (and yes I know a lot about weather modelling).

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
He did say former Yahoo board member...

Anyway this bodes well for weather data quality in the built-in app because Yahoo's was pretty poor, at least in Australia where I used it. It's not like Yahoo is a weather company and I doubt they did anything too sophisticated to other published model results.

At least The Weather Channel is a weather company in name if nothing else. I'm guessing the results will get much better (and yes I know a lot about weather modelling).
Yahoo!'s weather data has been provided by The Weather Channel for a long time now, so the data itself is basically the same anyway.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Well theres no point in going to a middle man when the data comes from the weather channel anyway. Id rather not have the yahoo logo stamped into iOS.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I have no problem with the Weather app its self its just the info on temps and stuff is often wrong! If they can fix that with more reliable info the better it will be.

derek4484

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2010
The Yahoo Weather app from the app store is MUCH better than what you get included with iOS7 anyways. Just wish you could delete the stock app and use the app store downloaded app as default.

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I've used The Weather Channel app for years anyway.

Just yesterday, TWC app kept crashing on me. I figured I'd delete it and download again to maybe solve the problem I found that TWC had a whole new app. It took me a bit to get used to it, but it is quite nice.

Really? I need better than the eye-candy POS that is the new TWC app, no more comprehensive map options, totally counterintuitive. There are so many aspects of weather that people in my industry need to be productive and stay safe and the new TWC app has none of it anymore, it used to be a great app.

I reverted back to the previous version and always remember to not update it, the new one is amateur junk..

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
WSJ is reporting that at the Cannes Lions ad festival Marissa Mayer was 2 hours late to a meeting with ad executives because she overslept. :eek: I'm glad Apple has decided not to get in bed further with Yahoo.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This provider change is a big blow to Yahoo, which as recently as April wanted to increase its role in iOS by making Yahoo the default search engine on iOS.
Another misstep from Yahoo not able to capitalize on opportunities.

----------

WSJ is reporting that at the Cannes Lions ad festival Marissa Mayer was 2 hours late to a meeting with ad executives because she overslept. :eek: I'm glad Apple has decided not to get in bed further with Yahoo.

If that's true, then that's embarrassing and not a good sign for Yahoo. They still have not done a great job and marketing their brand or search engine.

bit density

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2004
Seattle
What advantage would it have been for Yahoo to continue to be the weather app...

Do they get paid for the information? They generate no customer contact or generate any other revenue from providing weather info into another's app. If the new provider sucks, Yahoo has a chance to replace the weather app and THEN get customer contact. This seems like a net benefit for Yahoo. It's the same with the stock app.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Well theres no point in going to a middle man when the data comes from the weather channel anyway. Id rather not have the yahoo logo stamped into iOS.
Because having the TWC logo is somehow different/better?

----------

Is this TMZ now where meaning is being attributed to any random remotely celebrity related activity that has no meaning?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.