Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

opeepingtomo

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
Just setup my wife's RG 32GB 7 and the display looked fine and bright.
At first boot at all the white screens I tried really hard to see if i looked "too yellow" to me and it looked bright white.

HOWEVER, after comparing to my 6, her 7 is definitely warmer and also not as bright.

Hrmmmmmmmm

Last edited:

Boardiesboi

macrumors 601
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
The "yellow tint" is more pronounced if you do a side by side comparison with the 6s/+.

I'm getting used to the 7+ colour now and I'm selling my 6s+ today. Nothing to compare with and the colour itself doesn't really bother me

Last edited:
Reactions: jeffjak25

techiebug

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2013
In The Verge review, he did mention his 7 screen is warmer than his iphone 6s, and he actually likes that.

opeepingtomo

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
The "yellow tint" is more pronounced if you do a side by side comparison with the 6s/+.

I'm getting used to the 7+ colour now and I'm selling my 6s+ today anyway. Nothing to compare with anyway so it doesn't really bother me

Yes, I knew this to be the case but just thought I would mention it while also mentioning that it is definitely not as bright as my 6.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
again, glad i dont have my 6s plus to compare to 7 which i may otherwise be more harsh on,

but screen is warm not piss yellow seems more than ok for the hour i've played with it

seems decently bright too, i dunno about brighter enough to tell that its brighter (or if it even is.. oh well) but then again i think my 6s plus wasn't the brightest for the year of having it

time to play!

its a 32 (toyed with 128 idea, originally preordered it, then a 7+ at&t snafu, then thats all that was available but also right on point in terms of what i was wanting to spend) but i think this will be a stopgap model for me before the 8, will sell early pre-hype and use SE in between exclusively, maximize resell value too. i dont use many apps and dont shoot endless video by any means,

dont really want to give apple more money, dont want to go to the store any time soon unless I'm returning and the tides have calmed down which they won't most likely, and dont want to do the swap game

may have a keeper assuming i keep 7, which i probably will

this release seems boring, but the upgrades are nice if they pan out (home button is.. unique, camera and battery, and i like the colors on the 7 screen so far just surfing and stuff haven't scrutinized extensively

i will say tho: DAT MATTE BLACK DOE.. wow. I Lovvvvvvveeeee it. I think more epic than even slate on the iphone 5

Last edited:
Reactions: Geert76

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
the bottom does seem a little gradient-y warmer towards the bottom on mine though..

maybe it'll disappear with time,

then again my SE is a lot warm up top too,

wouldnt sacrifice it for a generally inferior screen or less bright, or less vibrant, potentially.

ive seen plenty of weird ones independent of iPhone model to my discerning eye, its a crap shoot. i think I'm getting softer though, i just admit defeat provided its something i can "move on" from :D increasingly becoming not worth my time, especially when i flip them down the road

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
6S vs 7 comparison. Guess which one is the 7...

Rpk6M34.jpg
The one with the "service" and the warmer screen is my guess;--) To be fair though: Proper white balance is tough to represent in posted photos so the true color might be a bit different in real life. Still though...the difference is striking!

Zafla

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2014
Florida
I compared my 6s Plus and my 7 Plus and I definitely notice the 7 Plus as being warmer. It does look a bit yellow at first but I got used to it.

Lammy

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
To add to the group of people having issues: I just restored my 7 plus and compared it to my 6s plus. The 6s plus is not only brighter (and it is very obvious), it is a cooler color. I am a little disappointed and look forward to seeing how this is resolved. I can live with a warmer color, but the brightness is a huge letdown.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
Look guys, it really doesn't even have much to do with Apple. It is the upstream manufacturer, which is LG or Samsung, or possibly another screen manufacturer.

My Samsung 4K TV also has a yellow blotch in the middle of the screen, as does my friends', as does many of the units I see at Best Buy on display.

For whatever reason, there are just yellow displays, and displays with blotches.

It isn't glue, it isn't calibration, it isn't anything except a yellow display.

Those upstream makers have yet to eliminate the problem, and Apple is not rejecting displays because of it. You, as a consumer, have the option to return/exchange if you are within the return period. It's as simple as that. If you are not satisfied, then return/exchange/live with it.

I have seen screens with all levels of yellow, some with even a reddish tint, and some with a blue tint. It's just a manufacturing variable. It's not like there is a white screen, and a yellow screen, and nothing in between.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Changing it in the settings dims the screen. You don't retain the original brightness by messing with tint. So that's a lame solution
really? it didn't seem to sim it for my ipad. just made it whiter.

SO does anyone not have this problem?

formerpc

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2009
My Plus was quite yellow at first. I almost thought Night Shift was on. But 3 hours into using it and the yellowing looks to be almost completely gone, if not gone.

Reactions: jeffjak25

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
People describe screens as warmer and cooler because white is only incorrect when its not matching its intended calibration. For example my calibrated iMac is warmer than my iPhone 6S. Neither is incorrect.

The comparisons I've seen do make the 7 look overly warm for my taste but it would be nice to see people with the right equipment test it. Side by side comparisons will make you go crazy.

IMG_1850.jpg

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
The screen on my iPhone 7 is very similar in color and brightness to my 6s. Both screens are white, not yellow at all.

lchlch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2015
If you look at all the reputable reviewers including displaymate, they all say that except for the iPad Pro 9.7 all Apple displays have a slightly cooler whitepoint.

Since we know that the iPad Pro 9.7 is accurate you should be comparing your iPhone 7 to the iPad Pro 9.7. If the whitepoint is the same than your display is not defective.

One more thing you guys need to know is that your eyes will adjust to the display. You find the display on the iPhone 7 yellow because the other displays are blue. If you use the iPhone 7 for any significant amount of time the other displays will seem too blue in comparison.

techspin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2014
The one with the "service" and the warmer screen is my guess;--) To be fair though: Proper white balance is tough to represent in posted photos so the true color might be a bit different in real life. Still though...the difference is striking!

You're right. There's a slight tinge of yellow near the bottom if I'm being very picky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.