Your impressions on iOS 4.2 GM

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hcho3, Nov 1, 2010.

1. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Your thoughts?

I love mine. I can not believe I held out for this long without folders.

2. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Heh I was just making a thread with the same thing.

Overall I am extremely happy, folders are wonderful. Performance is still very quick as 3.2.2 was. Multitasking works just as advertised. The only gripe I have so far is that a lot of apps (Angry birds HD for example) don't support the fast-app-switching! Hopefully it doesn't take developers a long time to implement this as it's quite irritating. Can't try printing as I have no compatible printer. Threaded email/Unified Inbox is a very welcome change from 3.2.2

By the way in Safari, how do I search for certain words? Apple's website states
    "Find text on web pages

In Safari, easily find and highlight specific words and phrases on large web pages."

Honestly I'm still kind of in shock, I checked twitter this evening and just about fell over when it said "iOS4.2 GM released!". I was expecting at least 1-2 weeks for a GM, then 1-2 more for an official product.

No issues to report on the OS side of things, love the brightness/volume bar on the "multitasking bar". Hate the orientation lock change.

3. blokey macrumors member

All you need to do is share your printer on your network and select Enable AirPrint under the iTunes preferences and you should be good to go.

I have the option to print but don't want to try it out since I don't want to waste ink. :p

I'm just liking the feel of 4.2 - it just feels right on the iPad. I don't think I'll mess with 4.2 on my iPhone until the actual release.

4. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

you use the search bar on the top right. There is an option that says "on this page." Its a very nice feature.

5. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Apple has to get this out the door before DST ends in the US next weekend. They ignored new Zealand and Europe but ignoring the US would be really bad.

6. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

I really dig the folders. Had them on the iPhone for a while. Man did we need them on the iPad.

Not in love with the mute switch thing. But I will get used to it.

The threaded email is a godsend.

wish I had a use for airplay

7. ExnomenDei macrumors regular

No, ignoring Europe was really bad as well, and if they knew of the bug before hand, ignoring NZ was really bad as well.

It's not worse because it's the US next.

8. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Airplay and Spotify make an awesome combination: I can stream high quality from my iPad to my music system using an Airport Express router which pretty much makes my iTunes music library redundant now :)
    Hoping that Spotify have got an iPad native version ready for release now Apple are accepting 4.2 apps!

9. ExnomenDei macrumors regular

Wait, does Airplay work with Spotify already?

Also waiting (impatiently) on a Spotify for iPad, thast would really, truly make the iPad the best player ever.

10. AngelusV macrumors newbie

This is my first time getting my hands on 4.2, and I'm in love. Just being able to use IM+ and Atomic Web at the same time without having to deal with IM+ loading back up for 10 seconds is amazing. I used to use the built in browser while chatting, and eventually I'd crash the IM+ app. Now it's smooth sailing with multitasking.

Only tiny "gripe" I have is... well I just get a little paranoid pressing my home button a million times a day now lol. I know I've pressed it a lot more on my phone, but I feel different with my ipad about it.

All in all, love it!

11. bindle macrumors regular

My iPad hadn't got as much use as I had anticipated over the past few months, primarily due to the lack of multitasking making it a bit frustrating. But iOS 4.2 has made it quite exciting for me again. Folders are a godsend. Hitting the home button to multitask also feels more natural than on the iPhone.
    Haven't had any problems with apps yet. A few of them multitask already which is nice (universal apps which multitask on the iPhone) .

Orientation lock is my only gripe so far. The accelerometer on this thing is quite sensitive, so I often lock/unlock the orientation when reading. I rarely mute it. Having to now go through the multitasking bar is a bit annoying, but I'm sure there will be a jailbreak fix for that. :)

12. ExnomenDei macrumors regular

I actually feel a lot better about the home button on my iPad than I do about my iPhone (3GS), because the actuation point of the button feels a lot clearer than on the iPhone.

That said, I wish there was a more natural gesture to open up the bar. Three-finger swipe up would do it, for example, it's just a pain to press an actual physical button when you're typing as much as I am on the thing, it feels unnatural.

13. dazcox5181 macrumors 6502

I have one of the HP eprint printers that i thought let you print to them without the computer turned on - I'm sure either HP or Apple said it would work - still doesn't on the GM and no updates from HP yet.

14. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Yep - it has since the first beta of 4.2 (it's an OS level thing so available automatically to all apps).

15. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

Knowing them, the update will only be available with a bulk purchase of original ink cartridges.

And all this talk has me convinced - I was going to wai until it was official, but I am going to give it a whirl now.

16. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

I agree it is pretty crappy to not update knowig for sure that there is an issue coming. (not sure about NZ, but for sure they knew about Europe) The main difference is that the US general press is happy to ignore stuff like this until it hits the US and the suddenly it will be front page news like they just discovered this and it is the end of the world. Then they will realize that the tech press already has been talking about that, which will lead to a whole new days news explaining that Apple should have known it was coming.

17. shotts56 macrumors 6502

Correct. Europe has a population of some 840m compared to the US's 300m, so greater reputational harm has already been done over the past few days. This bug has been mentioned in the news all over Europe, leading to much Apple ridiculing.

18. emkwan macrumors regular

emkwan

Guys, I'v DL iOS 4.2 GM and am finding when i now connect to iTunes it comes up with an error: "iPad is not recognised by iTunes please upgrade to iTunes 10.1"

any ideas.... and no I'm not a developer

19. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Have you tried upgrading to iTunes 10.1? ;)

20. joelypolly macrumors 6502

21. imacken macrumors 65816

How does Airprint work? I mean, how do you actually print a document? I can see in Photos how to do it, but don't see the option in any other files.
    It must be obvious, but ....

22. JulianL macrumors 65816

Does this mean that the date when iOS 4.2 is officially released will also be the date at which Apple will need to have taken iTunes 10.1 out of beta and made that into an official public release as well?

- Julian

23. 87vert macrumors 6502

87vert

in emails if you hit the reply arrow you get an option for print.

24. 87vert macrumors 6502

87vert

I don't see the option for AirPrint in the Itunes preferences. There is an option for air play under the devices tab. Running 10.1B10

25. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

I don't think you can turn on AirPrint until 10.6.5 I have iTunes 10.1 beta and I don't see anything under preferences to turn it on...