Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
I read some good things about lifeline, is it worth the 2.99 or more of a $0.99 game?

If you like the old text adventures (or those "choose your storyline" books where you pick an answer and it directs you to the proper next page) you will like it.
I failed my contact (he died) on my first run through, trying a second time. Only issue I have is the app is supposed to send alerts when the guy is back and waiting to tell you what is going on (and needs you to make a choice) and since the first day, I have gotten none on either my iPhone or my Watch. Not a big deal - perhaps an update will correct it. Otherwise a cute idea for a game (story wise) and the way it work on the Watch.
Now - as far as whether this is a $2.99 or a $0.99 game - that is a good question. As a lot of people, I have gotten a lot of free/cheap games that were great and a lot of expensive games that I got bored with rather quickly. Since there are no graphics to speak of and supposedly if you get all the choice right the first time, the game only lasts technically (though the pauses when he moves around do drag it out) a few hours, I am sure a lot of people would feel that $2.99 is a rip-off. To me the difference of $2 would not make a difference in the decision of purchasing an app or not.

Reactions: nheilweil

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
For me, currently, messages, remote (for Apple TV), email (just to see if I have an email I need to respond to), stocks, and timer.

I have a Nest thermostat and a watch app for that would be nice. I have relatively small expectations of the watch. Mainly I use it as a watch.

NotSafeForWork

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2015
Another vote for CNN.

Most other apps take too long to load but CNN is well designed (one long scroll list) and updates quickly. Useful to see the top 10 stories and quicker than using iPhone.

Handoff works well if you want to read longer versions of the stories. My current favorite.

Jimmie Geddes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
I normally use Wunderlist but find the Apple Watch app takes more swipes and taps and just tried Todoist and find their Apple Watch app works great. It's definitely in my top 5 apps now. I'm also liking RSSWear for checking out the latest news from my wrist, it's pretty quick and is readable on the Apple Watch, its swipe gesture to go back works without needing to tap the top left like some apps do. Letter Zap is fun and quick, perfect to use while waiting online.

TreoRenegade

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2008
Productivity Focus ( top 5 apps )

Updated... (5.30.2015)

ToDoist
Voice create tasks = killah feature. Short & sweet. Integration options are incredibly empowering:
IFTTT: appended DropBox plain txt files-- comprised of all completed tasks with related dates, ditto created tasks; Pocket articles with certain tag added to certain ToDoist project areas; web articles to desired project; etc.
Cloud Magic: email beautifully converted to task via ToDoist "card" (outstanding!!);
AudioMemos: iPhone voice memo (stream-of-thinking style notes) >> DropBox >> IFTTT toss to ToDoist (oooo baby!)

Cloud Magic (eMail)
Instant notifications, regardless of account. Alerts configurable by individual account. Easy DropBox file additions to email being composed.

HoursTracker Pro
Finally, a dirt easy/quick way to keep track of my billable hour notes, essential for those of us who are self-employed.

Coming Light
Photography is my zen zone cool out, vital to maintaining productivity. This superb app alerts me to Magic/Golden/Blue Hour nuances, no matter where I am. Alerts are configurable by date! Overall, a dream come true. (Never could get exactly what I wanted on the Pebble.)

Drafts4 / DayOne
Quick voice notes, transcribed, awaiting my mandates when I later pick up the phone or iPad. GTD on steroids, in terms of brain dumps. I switch between the two, depending on whether I also want the note on my Mac machines (DayOne).

TreoRenegade

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2008
If I didn't have dozens of emailed court-filing notices attacking me daily, Spark would indeed be a worthy option.

TangoCharlie27

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2015
The ECC Cricket App is a fantastic idea. Check out the latest score in the Test with a flick of the wrist! But the App ceases up and is very sluggish!! :(

Im sure the Apps will get better but there is nothing available yet where I think..Wow!

psylence2k

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
Are third party apps still loading and operating as slowly now after the update as they were at launch ?

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Are third party apps still loading and operating as slowly now after the update as they were at launch ?

They are better for me... but still not great. Improvement is good though, means they are heading in the right direction.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
If an app has a push notification on the iPhone, will it pulse through to the Watch thus saving an individual Watch specific App?

no you'll need their app on the watch as well for it to give you notifications on the watch

kuietstorm

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2015
Chicago, IL
no you'll need their app on the watch as well for it to give you notifications on the watch

Actually, you can indeed receive notifications on the watch from an app that's only installed on the iPhone. Go under notifications on the watch settings and toggle on the app that you would like to receive notifications from. I receive ALL my notifications from Outlook on my watch.

Reactions: geoffm33

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
Another vote for CNN.

Most other apps take too long to load but CNN is well designed (one long scroll list) and updates quickly. Useful to see the top 10 stories and quicker than using iPhone.

Handoff works well if you want to read longer versions of the stories. My current favorite.
I agree about the CNN watch app - just wish that their GLANCE would update regularly without having to first open the actual app. Seems at times like the only thing the Glance is good for is to quickly open the actual app.

NotSafeForWork

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2015
I agree about the CNN watch app - just wish that their GLANCE would update regularly without having to first open the actual app. Seems at times like the only thing the Glance is good for is to quickly open the actual app.

My CNN Glance usually updates within 2-3 seconds.

swandy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
My CNN Glance usually updates within 2-3 seconds.
Mine almost never does. Are you keeping the app on the Watch and your iPhone open? Perhaps that is why I don't see it updating because my other news app that has glances (NY Times) does not need the app open to update the glance.

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
Thank you for introducing me to Stocard, I love it! It's going to make using my cards so much easier.

Yankeegirl

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
My favorites~ Activity Enjoy knowing *How I move*
AtBat~ ⚾️
Peek allows you to store your 5 favorite photos
Name&Number. Quick jot to take a phone #
WeatherLive~☀️☔️
Calcbot
Soundhound Works great. Adds music to my Spotify~
I added Magic8Ball it's for fun!
All of the above work great!

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
Top 5 3rd party Apps:

Spark - Email client
Overcast - podcast app
1Password - passwords / 2FA
ctrlHome - automation for my Insteon
Clear - Task organizer/reminders

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.