Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prfrma

macrumors regular
May 29, 2010
Anyone noticed how is the same none MBPr owners ******** on every thread with a whole heap of ignorance and FUD. Reading some posting histories makes me come to the conclusion that they probably feel like they have to convince at least one person that the MBPr isn't for them.

I'm more interested in what real owners have to say about their products tbh, so please find some where else to conduct your petty little crusades.

Last edited:

Office Hours

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2010
LOL @ all these rMBP owners trying so desperately to validate their purchases. It's like you guys seriously think you're better or smarter than everyone else because you have a high tolerance for UI lag.

Have you guys ever tried Windows Vista? You'd absolutely love it! :cool:
LOL @ all the poor people who can't buy a new Macbook Pro every year!! LOL!!

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
I'm going to an Apple store in a few minutes to check out the retina macbook pros (even though I already ordered mine, I want to see if the lag is really a big deal). Anything anybody want me to report on?

rikbrown

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Jeez guys. Way to go off topic. Read my original post, and please don't post here if you're just flaming/baiting/whatever. Looks like I need to ask this question on a more useful forum.

01mggt

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
I'm glad my cMBP doesn't need this "ingenious permanent" band-aid scrolling solution. My cMBP can handle those "crappy programmed pages" with no CPU assistance.

Where exactly is that GPU hardware acceleration? Do you mean where the Apple engineers applied the "hardware band-aid" by overclocking the video card?

Software band-aids + hardware bands-aids = half-baked product.

Just shut your face. You are making yourself look more and more retarded. Not to mention you have had a big hand in turning this thread into yet another useless heap of ****.

----------

I'm going to an Apple store in a few minutes to check out the retina macbook pros (even though I already ordered mine, I want to see if the lag is really a big deal). Anything anybody want me to report on?

Honestly there are plenty of reports on it being bad with Lion period. You can report back but will simply be feeding the trolls. We all have seen it improved with ML GM :) Nothing personal.

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
Honestly there are plenty of reports on it being bad with Lion period. You can report back but will simply be feeding the trolls. We all have seen it improved with ML GM :) Nothing personal.

Okay... I'm here playing with it. Damn it feels fast. So much better than my old MacBook unibody (late 2008).

One thing I notice is when swiping between dashboard and safari (I installed the widget I wrote on here), it isn't exactly slow or laggy but isn't visually as smooth. It is as fast of a transition so I wouldn't call it a lag or a delay, but some of the straight edges of the UI elements look a big chunky while moving.

Does anybody know if that is different in ML or just Safari? I have ML at home but obviously I can't try it firsthand on the retina mac to see how it is...

01mggt

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Okay... I'm here playing with it. Damn it feels fast. So much better than my old MacBook unibody (late 2008).

One thing I notice is when swiping between dashboard and safari (I installed the widget I wrote on here), it isn't exactly slow or laggy but isn't visually as smooth. It is as fast of a transition so I wouldn't call it a lag or a delay, but some of the straight edges of the UI elements look a big chunky while moving.

Does anybody know if that is different in ML or just Safari? I have ML at home but obviously I can't try it firsthand on the retina mac to see how it is...

In the GM of ML they claim it's pretty much perfect. Thanks for the update :)

d00d

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Massachusetts
Jeez guys. Way to go off topic. Read my original post, and please don't post here if you're just flaming/baiting/whatever. Looks like I need to ask this question on a more useful forum.
You've captured my feelings exactly rikbrown. I'm one of those fence sitters that would like an rMBP, but isn't willing to part with that much money if it's going to suffer growing pains it'll never grow out of.

I had high hopes this thread would be filled with actual users with Lion/ML DP4/ML GM experience that could describe the lag and how it has or hasn't improved. I'm not so naive as to believe that there is no issue or take it on faith that it can be fixed with software necessarily. That's not to say I can't, I'm just waiting to see if it goes either way in the short term.

Instead of that, I find the same hyperbolic rhetoric on both sides that's neither helpful or informative.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
so we still have no video...

Makes a list of what you'd like to see and tomorrow I might post one. That being said I'd need somewhere to upload it to. I don't have Facebook and I'm not going to download apps. If you can accommodate around that, I'll happily make you a video using my ipad 3's camera.

01mggt

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Makes a list of what you'd like to see and tomorrow I might post one. That being said I'd need somewhere to upload it to. I don't have Facebook and I'm not going to download apps. If you can accommodate around that, I'll happily make you a video using my ipad 3's camera.

youtube is a free google account and the app is built right into your ipad :)

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
I'm back from the Apple store. I was pleasantly surprised that the text on screen was readable without my glasses at the highest retina display resolution. I thought everything would be too tiny to be usable. The display looks great and the actual performance is great. The UI issues feel more graphical than something that would affect usability. That being said, I was a bit disappointed at the way the UI animations looked. Things like zooming into full screen mode, and swiping between spaces. It might take a bit of getting used to compared to my old MacBook which is incredibly smooth at all times. It also might not look as good when I show it off to other people. However, I don't think any of that will stop me from getting one. My laptop is way too old for all the app development and high megapixel photo editing I do in Aperture. Hopefully I won't regret it.

Rennir

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
youtube is a free google account and the app is built right into your ipad :)

Youtube renders video to 30fps, so a youtube video may not show lag as clearly as other video hosting sites that support 60fps.

austinguy23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
Wirelessly posted

flipnap said:
I dont understand people not wanting a rMBP because web graphics look ugly. Nobody returned their 1080p TVs when broadcast stations only had 480p content. Graphics on the internet look like crap so your gonna buy another machine with a crap screen to match it? bizarro

Lol, my thoughts exactly.

DomarackiA

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2012
Australia
My rMBP went back today to Apple.

No, no it's not perfectly smooth with ML GM. You must set the rMBP to use the 650M full time to come close to smoothness, but even then in Facebook - News Feed, scrolling is not smooth. Just isn't.

Gets worse, with Safari running with 4 tabs and Aperture opened with editing tools, plus Mail - the memory usage on the 650M is at about 75%.

The new HiDPI mode is very demanding on the GPU and amount of Memory needs to be bumped to 2GB before a demanding Pro user would be happy with.

This has been the first major disappointment to me as a Mac user.

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
Wow, if people read all this to make an informed decision about an Apple product, they'd walk away grossly misled and misinformed.

The population at MR probably represents less than 1% of the total user base for any Apple product. People who post here are either those who want to find a problem, or those who want to convince themselves that there isn't one. The majority of the people using these products wouldn't even care about the issues we dissect here at MR.

The absolute zeal with which people stand by their opinions here is commendable, but it ultimately leads to a dichotomous result. Therefore, if someone from the other 99% comes here looking for an unbiased and objective opinion, they would almost usually walk away with more ambiguity than before.

Having said that, I personally feel this lag issue has been completely blown out of proportion. I agree with some people in this thread, that if this thing can manage D3 at 2880x1800, then its quite obvious that the hardware isn't whats causing the "so-called" lagging while browsing certain websites.

Also, the part from the AT review has been completely misconstrued and used out of context. Read the whole damn review; the rMBP is the 1st Mac to ever get Bronze Editor's Choice Award at AT.

Moreover, to return a $2199 machine because the News Feed on Facebook doesn't scroll smoothly is an indicator of just where some people's priorities lie while buying such expensive equipment. Someone above me had a brilliant response; if Facebook is the objective, then why not buy an iPad and save a ton of money?

Anyone who has been using Rev 1 products should know that its a gamble, and that owning the latest and greatest always comes at a price. So the moral of the story is, stop whining and stop wasting time analyzing things that don't need analysis.

----------

To answer your question, yes, this most certainly seems to be a software issue, and from the looks of it, the ML GM seems to fix it to a certain extent. It is highly unlikely that things can get any worse from this point on.

Last edited:

d00d

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Massachusetts
Having said that, I personally feel this lag issue has been completely blown out of proportion. I agree with some people in this thread, that if this thing can manage D3 at 2880x1800, then its quite obvious that the hardware isn't whats causing the "so-called" lagging while browsing certain websites.
Except that in certain scaling modes, the hardware is forced to render more pixels and downsample inline, which it's not doing for D3.

Also, the part from the AT review has been completely misconstrued and used out of context. Read the whole damn review; the rMBP is the 1st Mac to ever get Bronze Editor's Choice Award at AT.
I did read the whole thing and although I understood he gave it that award, the section everybody was something that stuck with me (particularly as someone who historically has kept machines at least 4 years and more recently, kept them longer).

Moreover, to return a $2199 machine because the News Feed on Facebook doesn't scroll smoothly is an indicator of just where some people's priorities lie while buying such expensive equipment. Someone above me had a brilliant response; if Facebook is the objective, then why not buy an iPad and save a ton of money?
Boiling this down to Facebook usage is hyperbolic. Portions of the web are as complex as Facebook and commonly encountered. By accounts in this thread (or was it another thread?), the GM still has issues with Mission Control. I'm one of those detail oriented people that gets bothered by things like that. Sure, it doesn't really cause a problem, but why compromise when there's also a possibility of the HiRes cMBP that suffers none of these issues?

Anyone who has been using Rev 1 products should know that its a gamble, and that owning the latest and greatest always comes at a price. So the moral of the story is, stop whining and stop wasting time analyzing things that don't need analysis.
Sorry, some of us are able/willing to part with what is by most people's measures is a great deal of money to buy a great computer, but want to do the research to be sure that they'll be happy with the machine rather than second guessing every time the interface stutters. There's nothing wrong with being cautious and it's warranted when you're spending more than a few dollars.

DomarackiA

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2012
Australia
Haha comedian sammy :D

The hardware in this, 1st generation rMBP is not keeping up with what's being asked of it. It's a very expensive experiment.

The Intel HD 4000 struggles with the HiDPI interface. The 650m does far better but it does so at a large expense to battery life.

Simple tasks such as open and live previews are a chore. Animations stutter at odd times.

Nothing worse than a collection of fanboys denying the obvious. This MacBook is not 'Pro' it's a MacBook Air.

Enjoy viewing websites too. Anything with graphics is aweful. The Internet won't go HiDPI just because Apple made a display that supports it.

Also. Office 2011 is unusable, ditto for iWork and all Adobe products. Enjoy.

randomnut

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
I think the lag issue is definitely blown out of proportion.

I have been using rmbp since release and I did not notice any lag really at all. That is with just general usage and not peeping with a fps meter or anything.

Some sites, like facebook, are laggy but that's the same on previous machines and is down to poor coding of the site really.

That said, I installed ML GM and the difference is clear There is some lag on Lion, but for the average user it's not noticible. They have clearly optimized and made improvements on ML and IMO, the machine should have been shipped with it. ML is an incredible improvement and if it shipped with it by default then none of these hissy fits would have happened.

DomarackiA

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2012
Australia
I agree ML GM is a big improvement. But having spent $AUD3100 on a computer that doesn't deliver performance as expected. Sorry, I'm not a charity to support Apple experiments.

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
Haha comedian sammy :D

The hardware in this, 1st generation rMBP is not keeping up with what's being asked of it. It's a very expensive experiment.

The Intel HD 4000 struggles with the HiDPI interface. The 650m does far better but it does so at a large expense to battery life.

Simple tasks such as open and live previews are a chore. Animations stutter at odd times.

Nothing worse than a collection of fanboys denying the obvious. This MacBook is not 'Pro' it's a MacBook Air.

Enjoy viewing websites too. Anything with graphics is aweful. The Internet won't go HiDPI just because Apple made a display that supports it.

Also. Office 2011 is unusable, ditto for iWork and all Adobe products. Enjoy.

I'm perfectly aware of all these issues, its a Rev 1 product, barely a month old, what else did you expect? Right now, these minor inconveniences are far from prohibitive to prevent someone from enjoying or getting work done on this fine laptop.

flipnap

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
really guys? youre complaining about facebook lag? i wish apple made a "no facebook" sticker for these things the everyone could **** about facebook lag. instead of griping on these forums about it, write facebook and tell them to code better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.