10-Year-Old Unlocks Face ID on His Mother's iPhone X as Questionable Mask Spoofing Surfaces

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 14, 2017.

1. RobinInOR macrumors 6502

RobinInOR

That’s the key. Initial training done in poor light, so I bet fewer data points were stored. Higher likelihood of matching in that case. Enroll your face in good light. That’s something that can be adjusted in an update.

2. JPack macrumors 6502a

JPack

Funny seeing these interrogation-style questions from some posters.

• How LONG did the user train Face ID?
    • How MUCH TIME was Face ID used before giving it to her son?
    • Did they use the PASSCODE?
    • How MANY TIMES did they use the passcode?

These days, you have to be pretty technical to use Face ID.

Whatever happened to, "I set up Touch ID and I'm confident no one else can get in"?

3. aardwolf macrumors 6502

So, the iPhone X is estimated to sell between 25-27 million units this holiday quarter. And what is the supposed reliability of the FaceID? 1 in a million? So there are likely people out there that it doesn't work reliably for (with a low light capture)? I'M SHOCKED!!!

4. Iconoclysm macrumors 68020

Iconoclysm

Not sure you know what a fact is.

5. cmwade77 macrumors 6502a

Funny thing is I predicted stuff like this would happen when it came out and everyone kept saying no it won't.

Really this is a gimmick and they should have kept both it and Touch ID for at least a couple generations. Taking out a known working concept for one that is an Alpha feature (I can't even justify giving it Beta status) was a bad idea.

6. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

We're talking about real world usage here - how real people are using Face ID with their purchased iPhones. Any special considerations (e.g. "how the phone was trained") are basically irrelevant.

Additionally, the article explicitly states that a password was never entered.

7. UBloMe macrumors newbie

I would like to see it when a woman uses makeup. Will it still recognize her if she sets up with no makup and then proceeds to put on her normal amount? Light or heavy will both make a difference. Iris scanner is still much better.

8. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

FaceID uses infrared. Why does visible lighting actually matter in that case?

9. macTW Suspended

“Mama! Your phone won’t unlock! I want to play games!” While looking at phone (activating and failing Face ID)

Mom comes and unlocks phone.

Voila. Mom taught phone to recognize son’s face.

10. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

11. Macintoshrumors macrumors regular

Macintoshrumors

Give it a rest already. these two humans have similar facial features snd once gain its a family member which he will grow to have a different look in a few years. FaceId learns and of course putting a new device and testing fid yields immature results. I am willing to bet all these faceid unlocks will not work in the next few months as the true dept camera will have learned a lot about its user by then.

12. JamieLannister macrumors regular

JamieLannister

it's not even technical matters here...it's people spending their money on something so expensive and basically defending it from any flaws that surfaces. If the faceID doesn't work as well as touchID then just say it doesn't. I see this happening to all types of people buying apple products - the defense of apple products by these types of people is stronger than any NFL team.

13. Zxxv Suspended

7.5w after the next iOS 11 update.

14. macTW Suspended

It shouldn’t change. It measures the contours and 3D form of your face. No amount of makeup would be thicker than half a mm at best.

15. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I fully agree with your statement on security, I am not defending the need to learn, I am disputing the validity of the video and followup claim.

I am also not disputing the knowin issue of Twin / sibling access to devices. There is enough proof that issue exists, and I hope Apple works on tightening down the learning process to make it less of an issue.

On FaceID, I think they tried to make it a bit too user friendly and make the programming faster than TouchID. I don’t think the speed / ease should have taken priority over security.

16. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

Shouldn't MacRumors be putting that question directly to the people posting the video and investigating further?

17. Zxxv Suspended

Apple will put the finger print sensor under the screen next and tout it as an extra layer of security as you'll need to authenticate with both. And people will cheer. And champaign corks will pop. And some will wink and laugh.

18. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

I want TouchID under the display. That's what I really want. TouchID.

19. PTVMan macrumors 6502a

There is nothing factual about this bold, uniformed statement.

20. tennisproha macrumors 6502a

That quote is regarding his dads phone. Read the article.

21. JamieLannister, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017

JamieLannister macrumors regular

JamieLannister

why the hell does light matter indoors? It uses infrared. Probably would work even better in NO LIGHT.

22. shanson27 macrumors 6502a

shanson27

23. smaffei macrumors regular

And that's why I'm waiting for rev 2.

24. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Given that Face ID uses the phone's own IR dot generator (w/ 30000 dots), why should ambient lighting matter in the least?

25. smacrumon macrumors 68030

smacrumon

MacRumors should put these concerns directly to the people in the video, some investigative reporting, to determine the validity of the article. Major newspapers are asking to reproduce their video for are approaching the
    The simplicity of your comment is very fine indeed.